Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 08-08-2009, 12:21 AM
ufcfan2

Default abductor muscle(legs).

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for help improving the abductor muscle in the legs(groin area). I guess since I've been doing kickboxing my abductor muscle in the legs have been poppin alot more often than normal. I also thinks its preventing me from really getting any stretch on my kicks etc...
I try stretching as much as I can and it kindof helps for awhile,but it usually reverts back to the poppin after that. I've been trying different stretches and trying to stretch at longer intervals just wondering there is something else I can do.
I'd try to say what stretches Im doing,but don't know the names of the stretches. Or maybe is it I just need to strengthen those muscles thru some weight type training..

Last edited by ufcfan2; 08-08-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:06 AM
gymcoach97

Can you post a video or picture or something? I really have no idea what you're talking about in terms of the adductors "popping" out more than normal. Furthermore, a video of your kicking might clue me into what's going on.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:25 AM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymcoach97
Can you post a video or picture or something? I really have no idea what you're talking about in terms of the adductors "popping" out more than normal. Furthermore, a video of your kicking might clue me into what's going on.
bleh,maybe i just used the wrong wordage like usual. The abductor muscles;so I've been told, have been feeling like its poppin out of place when i move it in a certain way. The muscles feel tight most of the time no matter how much I stretch,so that may play a part in it.
I really don't have a way to video my superb kicking technique
Old 08-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2
bleh,maybe i just used the wrong wordage like usual. The abductor muscles;so I've been told, have been feeling like its poppin out of place when i move it in a certain way. The muscles feel tight most of the time no matter how much I stretch,so that may play a part in it.
prop a cell phone on a chair or some thing
Old 08-08-2009, 07:07 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2
Try hitting up the abductor machine at the gym,
get those bad boys beefy.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvNHD5eIrUE

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-09-2009, 08:11 PM
gymcoach97

Just to clarify...

The adductor muscles (brevis, longus, & magnus) are the muscles associated with your groin.

The primary abductor muscles are the glute medius, glute minimus, and tensor fasciae latae (TFL) if memory serves correct. The glute med is the most important in the sense that it stabilizes the pelvis during stance.

So, if it's a groin issue, then it's the adductors.

Without testing you for internal/external range of motion, it's hard to say just how "tight" that they are.

If they are truly tight, here's a stretch that you can do that might help.

http://ericcressey.com/wp-content/up...ch-300x225.jpg

This is from Eric Cressey's blog. www.ericcressey.com

Here's a video of Tony Gentilcore showing how to perform self-myofascial release ("foam rolling") for the adductors as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L5VHXldrAI

The "popping" out part is something that I'm still confused on as far as what you mean...are they increasing in size? If you are using them, that's typical. It's called "hypertrophy" and represents an increase in cross-sectional area due to increases in contractile proteins as well as other muscle cell components.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:29 PM
atomdanger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-THzKqe3A