Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Default 'Sixteen Candles,' 'Breakfast Club' director Hughes dead at 59

ah man.....!!!! Only 59....

John Hughes, the producer, writer and director whose 1980s films such as "Sixteen Candles," "The Breakfast Club" and "Some Kind of Wonderful" offered a sharp-eyed look at teenagers and their social habits, has died, according to a statement from his representative. He was 59.
John Hughes was behind some of the most beloved films of the 1980s.

Hughes died of a heart attack while taking a morning walk in Manhattan, according to the statement.

Hughes, who was also a prolific screenwriter and producer, was at his peak in the 1980s, when his films -- which starred young actors such as Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Anthony Michael Hall and Jon Cryer -- dominated the box office and were hailed by critics for their thoughtful teen protagonists, rarely portrayed with such sympathy in comedies at the time.

Ringwald, in particular, became a star, thanks to her performances as the lead in "Sixteen Candles," "Breakfast Club" and "Pretty in Pink."

"I was stunned and incredibly sad to hear about the death of John Hughes," Ringwald said. "He was and will always be such an important part of my life. He will be missed by me and by everyone that he has touched. My heart and all my thoughts are with his family now."

For a time during the decade, the writer and director was behind two or three films a year. Among his other credits were "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983), "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986), the Thanksgiving classic "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (1987) and "Home Alone" (1990). Appreciation: Mourning John Hughes

"He was such a great writer who created so many enduring characters for film, both as a director and a writer. His real gift was in creating these identifiable characters," actor, writer and comedian Steve Martin, who starred in "Planes" with John Candy, told CNN.

Actress Ally Sheedy, one of the stars of "The Breakfast Club," said "I loved John Hughes. He was brilliant, he was lovely and he was kind. John handed me the chance of a lifetime and changed my world forever. What more can be said? I am eternally grateful to him and he is already terribly missed."

"I am truly shocked and saddened by the news about my old friend John Hughes," said actor Matthew Broderick, who starred in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," in a statement. "He was a wonderful, very talented guy and my heart goes out to his family."

John Hughes was born Feb