Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 AM

Default What Are Your Personal Top 10 Christian Books?

The Scenario:
You are moving to an isolated island with your family. You will not have a chance to have new books delivered for many years; perhaps, never. You will not have access to any media, so reading will be your only diversion. You have enough room for 10 Christian books to take on your journey. These books may need to last your lifetime. Which books would you choose? The only criterion is that the books must be, in some way, Christian. You can choose fiction, poetry, reference, dictionary, devotional, prayer book, biography, systematic theology, etc. but it must. in some way, be Christian. You can choose books that you haven't read as of yet, but might be interested in, based upon a recommendation or review. Remember, your spouse and child will need to share the books, so consider their reading needs, as well (if you are single, use your imagination). One of your books must be a Bible - please specify the version that you would bring. You can count multi-volume books as one choice - for example, The Chronicle of Narnia would count as one book rather than seven. Similarly, a commentary that takes up several volumes could be counted as one book. As an added question, if space were limited, which one of the ten books would you leave behind? If there was a fire, and you could only rescue one book (besides the Bible) which one would you rescue? Please feel free to explain your choices.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:22 PM

Well i am just reading, "the Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel.

I do not require the evidence to enhance my faith but its a fascinating read and informative in that scholars of the highest renown account for the new testament and its authenticity.

Its a compelling read and great for me to use as an extra arguements against sceptics and critics.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Well I'm not sure about 10, but off the top of my head I can come up with 7:
  1. ESV Bible
  2. John Calvin's Commentary & Institutes
  3. Charles Spurgeon Morning & Evening
  4. Chronicles of Narnia
  5. Trinity Hymnal
  6. Disciplines of a Godly Man
  7. Screwtape Letters
Couple of explanations: ESV does a nice job of being easy to read but without compromising content/accuracy. Between Calvin & Spurgeon, I feel like I'd pretty well have my "private worhsip" & "sermons" taken care of. Narnia & Screwtape are fun reads, but also packed with creamy theological goodness. Disciplines is a book I've been needing/meaning to read for awhile now. I picked the Trinity because I love the hymns & also because the edition at church includes the Westminster Confessions & Shorter Catechism.

Anybody got any suggestions for my last 3?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
Well i am just reading, "the Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel.

I do not require the evidence to enhance my faith but its a fascinating read and informative in that scholars of the highest renown account for the new testament and its authenticity.

Its a compelling read and great for me to use as an extra arguements against sceptics and critics.
Strobel is awesome! I have 4 of his books.

1. NASB study bible
2. New American Comentary
i love christian fiction so:
3. Black - Ted Dekker
4. Red - Ted Dekker
5. White - Ted Dekker
6. Blessed Child - Ted Dekker
7. A Man Called Blessed - Ted Dekker
8. Charles Spurgeon Morning & Evening
9. The Cost Of Descipleship - Dietrich Von Bonhoeffer
10. A look at Life From A Deer Stand - Steve Chapman
Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Chris F

1. Full Life Study Bible (NASB/Greek parallel)
2. The Truth War John MacArthur it was hard to choose between this and "Experiencing God" by Henry Blackaby
3. Beyond Opinion Ravi Zacharis
4. Three Kings Gene Edwards
5. School of Biblical Evangelism By Ray Comfort
6. The Story of Christianity Justo Gonzalez
7. The Complete Biblical Library By: GPH publishing and Various contributors
8. Faded Glory: the Church in a Cultural Crisis by H. Maurice Lednickey
9.Peace be still: Words of encouragements for the storms in your life by: Chris Fluharty
10. Fast Food Faith: A call to discernment in America's Church Today By: Chris Fluharty

All great books. It would be hard to only take 10. I know the last 2 are really self promoting but I would not have written them if I did not want to read them myself.

I would leave the The Truth war for lack of space. It is good but the book I have read it the least of these

In case of fire I would save The complete Biblical Library. It is out of print and a small fortune to replace.

Last edited by Chris F; 08-06-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Well I'm not sure about 10, but off the top of my head I can come up with 7:
  1. ESV Bible
  2. John Calvin's Commentary & Institutes
  3. Charles Spurgeon Morning & Evening
  4. Chronicles of Narnia
  5. Trinity Hymnal
  6. Disciplines of a Godly Man
  7. Screwtape Letters
Couple of explanations: ESV does a nice job of being easy to read but without compromising content/accuracy. Between Calvin & Spurgeon, I feel like I'd pretty well have my "private worhsip" & "sermons" taken care of. Narnia & Screwtape are fun reads, but also packed with creamy theological goodness. Disciplines is a book I've been needing/meaning to read for awhile now. I picked the Trinity because I love the hymns & also because the edition at church includes the Westminster Confessions & Shorter Catechism.

As the originator of this thread, I am going to have to be a jerk and take away your Calvin's Commentaries. I know I said you could count multi-volumes as one book, but 22 volumes is pushing it! I would suggest that you upgrade the ESV Bible to the ESV Study Bible. I got one last week and it is incredible. For your remaining three books, how about Luther's The Bondage of the Will: Written In Answer To The Diatribe Of Erasmus On Free-Will, Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress (From This World To That Which Is To Come), and The Valley Of Vision: A Collection Of Puritan Prayers & Devotions?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Strobel is awesome! I have 4 of his books.

1. NASB study bible
2. New American Comentary
i love christian fiction so:
3. Black - Ted Dekker
4. Red - Ted Dekker
5. White - Ted Dekker
6. Blessed Child - Ted Dekker
7. A Man Called Blessed - Ted Dekker
8. Charles Spurgeon Morning & Evening
9. The Cost Of Descipleship - Dietrich Von Bonhoeffer
10. A look at Life From A Deer Stand - Steve Chapman
If you could find Red, White and Black in a single volume, you could choose two more books. What would you choose?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
As the originator of this thread, I am going to have to be a jerk and take away your Calvin's Commentaries. I know I said you could count multi-volumes as one book, but 22 volumes is pushing it! I would suggest that you upgrade the ESV Bible to the ESV Study Bible. I got one last week and it is incredible. For your remaining three books, how about Luther's The Bondage of the Will: Written In Answer To The Diatribe Of Erasmus On Free-Will, Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress (From This World To That Which Is To Come), and The Valley Of Vision: A Collection Of Puritan Prayers & Devotions?
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I want my commentaries and institutes!!

Fine, I'll make a compromise: I'll take the PDF version of the Calvin's works, how about that? Then it's not a ton of extra space in my luggage.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I have another three: Augustine's City Of God, Anselm's Cur Deus Homo or Why God Was Made Man, and The Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I want my commentaries and institutes!!

Fine, I'll make a compromise: I'll take the PDF version of the Calvin's works, how about that? Then it's not a ton of extra space in my luggage.
Sorry, this is a very remote island and you will not have a computer. If you choose a commentary, you have to choose only one book of the Bible, like Romans. The two volume Institutes can count as one book.