Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 08-04-2009, 11:45 AM
ufcfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
Strikeforce has CBS which has 100 million+ plus viewers. Spike has close to 80 million. Fedor will get more exposure than the UFC gets with Spike. Strikeforce is also with Showtime. no PPV's, just order Showtime.
Those numbers are great and all for Strikeforce,but doesn't Kimbo negate all that
Old 08-04-2009, 05:21 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Crow
Well, he has said on numerous occasions that he wants to fight the top competition and best fighters. Those guys aren't cans but they definately aren't at the top either.

The reason it keeps getting brought up is if he people are still going to call him the best p4p and greatest fighter he is face and beat current top fighters.

I understand the logic, but Fedor doesn't care about being called the best,
and never said he is the best.

Nobody is telling Brock lesnar to leave UFC to go fight Fedor and Barnett,
if Lesnar wants to the be the best maybe he should go chase the best.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Rev

I didnt say Scott and Strikeforce are idiots, but if they are going to survive, then they cant continue to shell out the $ that they are. Frank Shamrock is the biggest draw they have and he has been stopped in his last 2 fights. I understand that they have great fights, but the reality of the situation is, in America for the most part, MMA has a name, and it is UFC. If they succeed, AWESOME! I hope they do. But they need to be careful in the way they do business. Fedor's people want a rediculous amout of money and people are only gonna pay to see him fight a small name a couple times. UFC didnt co-promote with these guys for a reason and SF jumped right in bed with them. I hope they dont get burnt. Thats all I am saying
Old 08-04-2009, 06:39 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
I didnt say Scott and Strikeforce are idiots, but if they are going to survive, then they cant continue to shell out the $ that they are. Frank Shamrock is the biggest draw they have and he has been stopped in his last 2 fights. I understand that they have great fights, but the reality of the situation is, in America for the most part, MMA has a name, and it is UFC. If they succeed, AWESOME! I hope they do. But they need to be careful in the way they do business. Fedor's people want a rediculous amout of money and people are only gonna pay to see him fight a small name a couple times. UFC didnt co-promote with these guys for a reason and SF jumped right in bed with them. I hope they dont get burnt. Thats all I am saying
What makes you say that?
He isn't shelling out insane amounts of cash.
I don't know about all the events, but I know at Diaz/Shamrock that live gate covered payroll.
The live gate was 750K for that event, and payroll was 600.

Fedor doesn't want a lot of money, he took a lot less money from Strikeforce to get the other things in his contract he wanted.
If he wanted a ridiculous amount of money, he would be in the UFC.

I don't know where you get this ridiculous amount of money idea.
Did you see what Fedor was making in Affliction?
Did you see what Tim Sylvia made in Affliction?
Who was getting a ridiculous amount.

Affliction's payroll was through the roof, SF's clears half a mill.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Rev

A couple years back when Fedor was negotiating with one company or another, I dont remember which, his people said they wanted 500k & half the ppv. Thats not rediculous?

750k gate.
Total Payout: $634,415

Nick Diaz: $39,950 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Frank Shamrock: $369,790

Gilbert Melendez: $49,890 (no win bonus)
def. Rodrigo Damm: $9,190

Scott Smith: $49,940 (includes $25,000 win bonus)
def. Benji Radach: $16,940

Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos: $18,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Hitomi Akano: $1,450

Brett Rogers: $39,940 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
def. Ron "Abongo" Humphrey: $3,205

Look at FS's pay. Imagine what Fedor is gonna get!!

I know Fedor only got 300k for fighting Tim, but they also said that the biggest part of his pay had already been recieved at the signing of his contract. I dont care enough to get into the deep down details, all I am saying is they need to be careful.

And Fedor has said that he wants to fight the best, and the best are in the UFC. example: Prior to 2007, CroCop was considered one of the top 5 HW in the world, he came to the UFC and what happend?
Does SF have some good HWs? Yes. Could they present him with a challenge? I doubt it, but maybe.

Most of the fans want to see him fight, Randy, Mir, Gonzaga, Cain, and most of all BROCK. To the fans it looks like he is dodging the UFC and they wont pay forever to see him fight outside the UFC. This is my opinion, but, well, it makes sense.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:25 PM
billwilliams70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preach
Fedor vs The entire weight division
That's what I was thinking........

Later.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:39 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
A couple years back when Fedor was negotiating with one company or another, I dont remember which, his people said they wanted 500k & half the ppv. Thats not rediculous?

And Fedor has said that he wants to fight the best, and the best are in the UFC. example: Prior to 2007, CroCop was considered one of the top 5 HW in the world, he came to the UFC and what happend?
Does SF have some good HWs? Yes. Could they present him with a challenge? I doubt it, but maybe.

Most of the fans want to see him fight, Randy, Mir, Gonzaga, Cain, and most of all BROCK. To the fans it looks like he is dodging the UFC and they wont pay forever to see him fight outside the UFC. This is my opinion, but, well, it makes sense.
Well, I will address a couple things here.
Fedor got half the PPV because m - 1 paid for half the ppv.
So, he shared half the cost, and got half the profit.
Of course, this is all speculation based on what certain people have said.
Either way, SF isn't on a ppv setup at the moment, so...

Fedor does want to fight the best, but at what cost?
Obviously other things are more important.
You could say the same about any UFC hw. Barnett and Fedor, numbers 1 and 2 in the world are not in the UFC, so any UFC HW must not want to fight the best, or they would leave the organization to fight the top 2.

Also, Fedor beat Cro Cop when it mattered, you cannot compare Cro Cop now,
to Cro Cop in 2005. (2 years can make a huge difference in a fighter, 07 - 05)
He was obviously a different fighter. To say that takes something away from CC or Fedor is ridiculous.

I personally do not see any interest in Randy, Cain, or GG and think its hilarious that anybody does. Cain was almost KOed every round by Kongo, Randy 3 or 4 years ago would have been great, and GG? Come on....
he is 2 - 3 in his last 5 and hasn't beaten anybody even almost good since 2007. Brock and Carwin could end up being interesting fights, but IMO those are the only two.

I think that overeem, rogers, barnett, (He signed a 3 fight deal) Is just as good as him fighting Carwin, Brock and whoever else.
Barnett is number 2 in the world, Brock isn't. (they are letting him fight Barnett in Dream)
Not to even get into the fact that SF and Dream are going to share fighters, Lookout for Aoki, etc... in SF
Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Crow
Well, he has said on numerous occasions that he wants to fight the top competition and best fighters. Those guys aren't cans but they definately aren't at the top either.

The reason it keeps getting brought up is if he people are still going to call him the best p4p and greatest fighter he is face and beat current top fighters.
then the UFC needs to co-promote like the other orgs.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfan2
Those numbers are great and all for Strikeforce,but doesn't Kimbo negate all that
nah. what's Kimbo gonna negate? 20 million more viewers means he can't be beaten.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Mike1983

This may get me shot lol....but I honestly don't think Fedor is as good as people think he is...he obviously doesn't want to be tested against fighters who are in their prime right now...he's fought a lot of big names who have faded from their glory days....so what does that really say about him? I think he's the most overrated fighter in MMA.

Of course I'd love to see him prove me wrong and come to the UFC and clear out the division! He'd make a fan out of me then for sure.