Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Max

Default BJ Penn: UFC 94 fight against Georges St. Pierre was to be his last

http://mmamania.com/2009/02/03/bj-pe...o-be-his-last/

I have no clue what is going on in my head right now. I was going to make this my last fight and finish up fighting GSP. In my head, I was with [the UFC] for nine or ten years and I kind of just wanted to be finished with this whole thing after this. So I dont know where my head is right now.

UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn makes his first public remarks after losing to welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre at UFC 94 over the weekend, saying that he had pre-fight intentions of making it his last performance inside the Octagon. Perhaps the lopsided manner in which he lost rather than retiring on top as a dual champion has made him rethink that decision. It sounds as if the 30-year-old fighter will need more time to come to grips with his performance and fight future.

SOmeone on MMAfighting.net posted that BJ said on his facebook that he is not going to retire though.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Hmmm.... fickle much?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Hmmm.... fickle much?
I think in BJ's mind it was the perfect way to go out. Have both belts and then just walk away. I think BJ realized there was going to be no way he could defend both belts at the same time. I think not only the loss but the way he lost has him rethinking his decision. I would not be surprised if he defended the LW title 1 or 2 more times before trying to set up a fight with Aoki before walking away.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
I think in BJ's mind it was the perfect way to go out. Have both belts and then just walk away. I think not only the loss but the way he lost has him rethinking his decision. I would not be surprised if he defended the LW title 1 or 2 more times before trying to set up a fight with Aoki before walking away.
And it's a way to completely screw over two entire divisions in the UFC.

However, if he's only 30 and already trying to retire, then his mind is probably just not in it anymore.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
And it's a way to completely screw over two entire divisions in the UFC.

However, if he's only 30 and already trying to retire, then his mind is probably just not in it anymore.
I think the WW div would have been fine (just think about it, Matt beats Serra and we get to see Matt vs Alves for the WW title ) and I think the LW div would have just done Sherk vs Ken-Flo 2.

I think that BJ being a father made him rethink the whole fighting thing. Had that not happened I think he would have continued to fight. But like I said, based on his facebook he said he is not retiring.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:36 PM
warriorlion

getting a beating then crying cheat, going to the hospital himself this time must have his head spinning, that superman punch from gsp was flush, would make your head frazzled. BJ needs to stick it lw

Last edited by warriorlion; 02-03-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
I think in BJ's mind it was the perfect way to go out. Have both belts and then just walk away. I think BJ realized there was going to be no way he could defend both belts at the same time. I think not only the loss but the way he lost has him rethinking his decision. I would not be surprised if he defended the LW title 1 or 2 more times before trying to set up a fight with Aoki before walking away.

the problem with his little plan was he never thought the whole thing through before he decided to ask for this fight,,and honestly i dont think BJs crew did him any favours either,,instead of nodding their heads and agreeing with everything BJ said somebody should have spoke up and told BJ that GSP is a lot better fighter this time around and maybe just maybe he should train like his life depended on it,,or at least like his legacy did,i'm not taking anything away from BJ but this really was the biggest mistake he has ever made going into a fight,,
as far as him retiring?i could see that coming too,,BJ is done,,he will retire very soon,,it may not be untill after he defends his title but if he loses that one then he Quits for sure,,
the only reason BJ is in this situation right now is because he is lazy,,and that will never change,,
Old 02-03-2009, 07:45 PM
rearnakedchoke

After a beating like that, he can't let it be his last .. plus, won't he want to actually enjoy the afterparty of his last fight and not sit in a hospital instead ... LOL ... karma
Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Preach

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooonooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 02-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
the problem with his little plan was he never thought the whole thing through before he decided to ask for this fight,,and honestly i dont think BJs crew did him any favours either,,instead of nodding their heads and agreeing with everything BJ said somebody should have spoke up and told BJ that GSP is a lot better fighter this time around and maybe just maybe he should train like his life depended on it,,or at least like his legacy did,i'm not taking anything away from BJ but this really was the biggest mistake he has ever made going into a fight,,
as far as him retiring?i could see that coming too,,BJ is done,,he will retire very soon,,it may not be untill after he defends his title but if he loses that one then he Quits for sure,,
the only reason BJ is in this situation right now is because he is lazy,,and that will never change,,
you have it in your head that BJ is lazy yet ever since his 2nd fight with Matt he has trained his ass off for all his fights. BJ being lazy is not what lost his the fight vs GSP. He came into that fight in shape and ready to go but GSP was just to strong for him. I dont think BJ did the wrong thing by asking for this fight. BJ loves the challenge of fighting bigger fighters and this was a great test for him. In the end he came up short but BJ is still one of the best fighters of all time.