Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 08-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
With that training would you feel comfortable defending yourself against someone trying to take you down? Of course, odds are, you aren't going to be attacked by some college-level wrestler or BJJ black belt.
yea if your being robbed the guy is most likely a peice of **** so I would thow out him haveing the dedication or the brains to be a college wrestler or have any kinda of belt. so If have any skill thats more then what he has going for him
Old 08-02-2009, 09:41 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

From what I've read of Krav Maga it seems based on Military needs! Alot of their strikes are aimed at crippling or killing I think. I'm not gonna call any of them worthless. I also believe Judo can be very useful!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Before I moved I was in a class that was "Hapkido for self defense". It wasn't pure Hapkido but it used the strikes and techniques of it mixed with a little krav maga, judo, and jj. It was great. The police forces in the area all sent guys/gals to the classes as well. We even learned weapon defense. I found it very helpful and was a blast to learn how to throw those huge guys around even though I'm tiny. It was just leverage. And then they taught me to finish the guy off with a move so that he couldn't continue to attack me and even a couple of kill moves but didn't recommend using them.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
Before I moved I was in a class that was "Hapkido for self defense". It wasn't pure Hapkido but it used the strikes and techniques of it mixed with a little krav maga, judo, and jj. It was great. The police forces in the area all sent guys/gals to the classes as well. We even learned weapon defense. I found it very helpful and was a blast to learn how to throw those huge guys around even though I'm tiny. It was just leverage. And then they taught me to finish the guy off with a move so that he couldn't continue to attack me and even a couple of kill moves but didn't recommend using them.

~Amy
umm what is different between akido and hapkido
Old 08-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
http://www.taekwondobible.com/analys...do/differ.html

Evidently Hapkido uses Aikido and other techniques. Pure Aikido doesn't use any kicks I think.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
h&p
Old 08-02-2009, 03:54 PM
warriorlion

I thnk like a lot f people it depends on what you are looking for. As in what you are hoping to achieve. If you are attacked and want to defend yourself to a point of getting away I would say Aikido or wing chun that teach a lot of stuff on using your opponents body weight against them to get them as far away as possible.

However if you are looking to disable your attacker then a varient of Shotokan (which is highly stylised - but does teach strong strikes for taking out your opponent, or something like Muay Thai, for the disabling striking.

BJJ is great, but still relies on you getting taken down a lot, yeah it teaches you to disreguard the size aspect, but in the streets do you really want to get taken down, the likelihood of it being a fair one on one fight are slim. And although odds are 90% of brawls go to the gound, in a situation of group on individual, you are better off keping your feet as long as possible and doing as much damage as you can.

Once it goes to the floor you are likely to get the other people in the group start kicking you. BJJ (at least thus far in my training) doesnt teach you to avoid getting a kicking
Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 PM
que

i would say jiu jitsu, because most real fights on the street end up on the ground in the first minute or two if not sooner than that. and most punks you meet on the street know nothing about striking and even less about ground tactics. if you have a great guard and a great mount then you can defend yourself from anything, and if you add submissions to that then you can also end the fight in your favor
Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Going to the ground only works in one on one situations! That very rarely happens on the street. Now if you can throw them while staying on your feet that could help you.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:32 AM
warriorlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE
Going to the ground only works in one on one situations! That very rarely happens on the street. Now if you can throw them while staying on your feet that could help you.
thats exactly why I suggested Wing Chun, but Judo is god for that as well, as is aikido.