Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 08-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Default What Martial Art Would You Recommend?

I am not asking which martial art is the best "base" to have as an MMA fighter. I am asking what is the best martial art to have to use in self-defense? MMA fighters know how to counter most of the moves of the major disciplines. I am talking about going up against your average thug, who probable doesn't have any martial arts training. BJJ would be good because it could neutralize a size difference; however, do they teach any counters against weapons in BJJ? Would you recommend a system like Krav Maga, that is a combination discipline that has a lot of the striking of Muay Thai and trains you primarily for self-defense (knees to the groin, etc.) rather than tournaments. It also addresses counters to weapons. I suppose going to an MMA gym would also give you an integrated approach; however, I don't think they would teach how to counter a knife thrust. It seems like most thugs, give victims the "bum's rush", and try to take them down, and then, if they have a knife, "gut" the victim. It seems to me (not experienced), some of the single discipline martial arts don't prepare well for takedown defense. Any thoughts from someone with knowledge of such matters?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
I am not asking which martial art is the best "base" to have as an MMA fighter. I am asking what is the best martial art to have to use in self-defense? MMA fighters know how to counter most of the moves of the major disciplines. I am talking about going up against your average thug, who probable doesn't have any martial arts training. BJJ would be good because it could neutralize a size difference; however, do they teach any counters against weapons in BJJ? Would you recommend a system like Krav Maga, that is a combination discipline that has a lot of the striking of Muay Thai and trains you primarily for self-defense (knees to the groin, etc.) rather than tournaments. It also addresses counters to weapons. I suppose going to an MMA gym would also give you an integrated approach; however, I don't think they would teach how to counter a knife thrust. It seems like most thugs, give victims the "bum's rush", and try to take them down, and then, if they have a knife, "gut" the victim. It seems to me (not experienced), some of the single discipline martial arts don't prepare well for takedown defense. Any thoughts from someone with knowledge of such matters?
I'm personally not a fan of martial arts for self defense...I prefer my .357

I DON"T practice any so my opinion is purely from observation but I would probably want a hybrid for myself. Maybe a Muay Thai for striking and Aikido for weapons defense...

But in reality.... compliance if I did not feel threatened.... my .357 if I did.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck

I DON"T practice any so my opinion is purely from observation but I would probably want a hybrid for myself. Maybe a Muay Thai for striking and Aikido for weapons defense...

But in reality.... compliance if I did not feel threatened.... my .357 if I did.
I'm with you; however, some parts of the country don't issue concealed carry. If I were at home, I would call the police and get my gun; however, on the street I am limited to pepper spray and a pocket knife. I'm not looking for trouble; but, if it found me I would like to be prepared.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Sorry, don't have a .357. Would my .45 do the trick?
Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Sorry, don't have a .357. Would my .45 do the trick?
You have no idea how bad I miss my .45!! I would trade my .357 to get a .45 back in an instant....

long story but let's just say my 1911A is gone and I now have a Ruger .357 which I'm ok with... but it's not my .45 that's for sure!!

On a side note... you would call 911 first THEN get your gun??? I'm the exact opposite brother.... let the neighbors worry about 911 when they hear gunshots ;-) I'm getting my gun first!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:34 PM
SteveT

I took Shotokan Karate growing up, before BJJ and MMA really came along. We were taught self defense against an individual, swarmings, grappling and weapon attacks with items such as knives.

It honestly depends on what you're looking for. If you're not sure, I would recommend visiting different schools that teach different styles and see what interests you the most.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
You have no idea how bad I miss my .45!! I would trade my .357 to get a .45 back in an instant....

long story but let's just say my 1911A is gone and I now have a Ruger .357 which I'm ok with... but it's not my .45 that's for sure!!

On a side note... you would call 911 first THEN get your gun??? I'm the exact opposite brother.... let the neighbors worry about 911 when they hear gunshots ;-) I'm getting my gun first!
No, I stated it poorly. If I heard a break-in, I would definitely get my gun first. You must have the "Castle Doctrine" in your state. Again, some states don't have it.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT
I took Shotokan Karate growing up, before BJJ and MMA really came along. We were taught self defense against an individual, swarmings, grappling and weapon attacks with items such as knives.

It honestly depends on what you're looking for. If you're not sure, I would recommend visiting different schools that teach different styles and see what interests you the most.
With that training would you feel comfortable defending yourself against someone trying to take you down? Of course, odds are, you aren't going to be attacked by some college-level wrestler or BJJ black belt.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:12 PM
SteveT

Quote:
With that training would you feel comfortable defending yourself against someone trying to take you down? Of course, odds are, you aren't going to be attacked by some college-level wrestler or BJJ black belt.
I was in it for about 6 years, from the time I was nine until I was just over 15...I had 3 months to go and I could have tested for my black belt but I dropped out for personal reasons.

Do I feel comfortable defending myself if I had too? Yes I do. I'm 27 now and I still feel confident that I could hold my own if I need too. I still remember the training that I had back then. I miss it but at the same time, the skills and knowledge that I have, I have from the experience and the amount of time I spent learning the art.

The reason I say to look around at different schools is because some arts are more interesting then others and it may come down to personal preference.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Jason 16

well my bjj instuctor has a class on strickly street Defence