Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is online now
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVEMAN
Oh, but we are measuring the age of the earth when someone claims a snake lived 60 million years ago here on earth. I don't understand your point.
No...we are not. We are infact saying that these creatures lived BEFORE the creative event. Therefore they existed ONLY in backdated time.

Let me explain, pretend you are writing a story, choose a character. picture the character in your mind. That is the moment of Creation...NOW what is his past? you instantly start to construct a past that happened AFTER you created him. ALL Characters have retrospective pasts in cinema and writing...noone thinks of a Character being born and living first...by the time they think that they already knows what he looks like at the age they want to start writing about him.

There are two possibilities when applying this to creation 1) all backdated History never actually physically happened, but things like fossils were created at the moment of the Creational Event and endowed with all the properties of something older. 2) Its actually happened, infact its happening now. Time is moving in both directions, forwards into the future AND backwards into the past FROM a chronological event.

Do you understand what I am saying? This is Degree level Philosophy of time (to do with time moving forwards and backwards, and infact two times moving forwards and backwards at the same time that of the physical realm, and the spiritual realm) and degree level Philosophy of Religion (Important Chronological events whose properties transcend time and therefore are not limited to only the chronological future following the event, but ALSO the past IN chronology BEFORE the chronological event because of its spiritual nature.) The SAME principle applies to HOW GOD can credit people with righteousness before the death of Christ. The Spiritual ramifications of His death TRANSCEND time, therefore are applicable throughout the ENTIRE Chronology, regardless of the events chronological position. I floored both Christian Creationalists AND Scientific Athiests in the room when we had this discussion...its what made my friendship with Herr Friedel Weinert, the Tutor who was extremely impressed by the theorum, he was just mortified when I couldnt come up with anything on the level of Philosophy of Science...because that was before I discovered the idea of GOD speaking things into existance with the idea that particals vibrate and everything gives of waves electromagnetic, radiation, whatever that can be converted into an audible noise...wish I'd know THAT seven years ago LOL
__________________

Last edited by Tyburn; 02-07-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Nice.

Still doesn't change my opinion that 40 feet isn't that impressive.

Seeing how Modern day snakes make 30 feet. a 10 foot difference? ehhh.

Not much of a difference when you compare moderm day lizards to dinosaurs,
etc....
I totally agreee. Being a snake owner/lover 43 feet would be fun to see but really not OMG impressive.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:54 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Hmmm, 43 feet?

that isn't so impressive.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3845750/

Retics hit 30 feet on a regular basis, I've got friends with retics at 25 and 27 in captivity.
So if the world's current longest snakes are 30 feet (I believe the record is a reticulated python at 33 feet), that's an increase of about 40%, so the average height of a man is 69 inches (5'9") and if the average height increase were 40%, than would make the average height of a man to be 96.6 inches or, 8'1". That's a VERY significant difference in size and mass.

Plus, did you notice they estimated the weight of the snake to be 2,500 pounds? That's 1 ton more than the largest anacondas. That's a BIG difference!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Black Mamba
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You took most of the words out of my mouth rockdawg.

I was going to say the length may not be super duper impressive (43 feet), but that weight (1.5 tons) is massive. The sheer crushing force psi would be amazing. And did you see the comparison of an 17 foot anaconda bone vs. this animal's bone? That is crazy.

I would be curious to find out if this snake could have eaten an average adult human, or would our shoulders still get in the way? I know present day snakes, if eating an adult, get stuck right around the shoulder area. Although some scientist suggest if an adult were layed on their side, a snake might be able to consume them (don't know how much truth there it behind that statment).
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-07-2009, 06:28 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
So if the world's current longest snakes are 30 feet (I believe the record is a reticulated python at 33 feet), that's an increase of about 40%, so the average height of a man is 69 inches (5'9") and if the average height increase were 40%, than would make the average height of a man to be 96.6 inches or, 8'1". That's a VERY significant difference in size and mass.

Plus, did you notice they estimated the weight of the snake to be 2,500 pounds? That's 1 ton more than the largest anacondas. That's a BIG difference!

Right, its a significant difference, but not an OMG difference.
I mean, modern day man has produced 8 foot men, so...

I guess when I think ancient stuff I just expect big numbers,
so I was hoping for a 200 foot long snake or something lol
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I totally agreee. Being a snake owner/lover 43 feet would be fun to see but really not OMG impressive.
Yeah.

although my friends 27 foot retic is pretty intimidating.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Right, its a significant difference, but not an OMG difference.
I mean, modern day man has produced 8 foot men, so...

I guess when I think ancient stuff I just expect big numbers,
so I was hoping for a 200 foot long snake or something lol
I hear that about the 8 foot man, but that's not the point. The sheer size difference is tremendous. I'm talking about the average height being 8 foot versus 5'9". The weight of those 5'9" guys on average is about 150, but most 8-footers are 400 pounds.

If that's the physical size difference on average, that's not an insignificant thing by any means.

Plus, like I said, the sheer mass of the snake, 500 pounds (for the largest anacondas) versus 2,500 pounds is a big big difference!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-07-2009, 10:26 PM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba
You took most of the words out of my mouth rockdawg.

I was going to say the length may not be super duper impressive (43 feet), but that weight (1.5 tons) is massive. The sheer crushing force psi would be amazing. And did you see the comparison of an 17 foot anaconda bone vs. this animal's bone? That is crazy.

I would be curious to find out if this snake could have eaten an average adult human, or would our shoulders still get in the way? I know present day snakes, if eating an adult, get stuck right around the shoulder area. Although some scientist suggest if an adult were layed on their side, a snake might be able to consume them (don't know how much truth there it behind that statment).
Yeah, I was watching something on APL a few years ago where they took a duck and put pressure sensors all over its' body. A 12-foot anaconda was tested for it's crushing power. The guy running the experiment estimated that the power would be kind of equivalent to a small vehicle on the chest of a human. Turns out, it was more like 3 buses!

Now if a 65 pound, 12-foot anaconda has that type of crushing power, I couldn't even imagine the power of a 43 foot, 2500 pounder! That's just unfathomable strength!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.