Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM

Default Belfort back in UFC vs Rich !!

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=9261&zoneid=2

Vitor Belfort is the latest fighter displaced by Affliction to migrate to the UFC.

UFC president Dana White announced he had signed the former UFC champion Friday on a conference call with reporters, “We just signed Vitor Belfort. Vitor Belfort is fighting Rich Franklin at UFC 103... It is now Rich Franklin versus Vitor Belfort headlining Dallas.”

The bout will be contested at 205 pounds said White, although Belfort’s most recent fights have been in the middleweight division.

The announcement squashed rumors Belfort had booked a fight in Brazil in September.

Belfort was one of two fighters tapped to replace Josh Barnett at Affliction “Trilogy” before the show was cancelled last Friday. Affliction folded their fight promotion operations shortly after.

The announcement of Belfort signing on with the UFC was a bit of a surprise, which added to the expected announcement that Tito Ortiz had also re-signed with the promotion.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 PM
atomdanger

Stupid fight IMO.

I want to see Belfort at 185.
I hope he doesn't stay at 205.

Also, I think its stupid Henderson is getting a title shot when clearly Maia deserves one
Old 07-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Jason 16

Rich is the same fighter at LHW or at MW might as well have both of them fighting with out being drained
Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 PM
ufcfan2

Personally I'd rather see a Tito v. Franklin fight,but /shrug whatever. Far as Hendo getting the next shot Im at odds with this he had a shot,and I do think Maia should get next dibs on him. I don't wanna see Nate fight him again,and Okami just can't stay healthy enough to boost himself up.
I do hope though Hendo KTFO Anderson like he did Bisping as for some reason I just can't get on AS bandwagon.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Preach

Rich is good as KO'd
Old 08-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preach
Rich is good as KO'd
I agree. I think Vitor crushes Rich.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Jason 16

now I would say belfort by ko 5 years ago 0r so It would be Rich by KO
and who said he wont see the ufc for awhile
Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 PM

Update: It's a catch weight fight at 195

Although White originally announced, and the promotion later issued a statement, declaring that the bout would be contested at 205 pounds, Franklin on Friday evening posted on his Twitter account that the bout would instead be contested at a catchweight.

“Just found out I will be fighting Vitor at a catchweight of 195 (pounds) as per his request,” wrote Franklin.

The change in weight to 195 pounds works well for both fighters. Franklin recently fought Wanderlei Silva at that weight and felt very comfortable doing so, and Belfort’s most recent fights have been in the middleweight division at 185 pounds.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Straight Right

I think its a good match up, certainly more exciting than a quick turn-around rematch with Hendo. Just saw Vitor on Inside MMA last night and this hadn't been anounced he and Paul Buentello were on the panel "jobless" after Affliction went back to selling T-shirts. From what they said looks like they were both offered Fedor and both said yes but it still fell through. I'm glad to see Vitor back in the UFC, seems like he's motivated.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Josh

I am really excited to see Vitor back and I hope he makes a solid run for the MW title. I think he would at least make Anderson have to try unlike some of his last opponents.