Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 07-31-2009, 01:55 AM

Default Is Fedor's dominance due to Sambo?

Forgive my ignorance, but I know very little about Sambo. I am sure that Fedor is an incredible athlete and would likely be a great fighter with a background in other martial arts. Is their something about the skill set in Sambo that gives Fedor a competitive edge? Is Sambo just a Russian form of MMA? Why hasn't Sambo taken off like BJJ did following Royce Gracie's success?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 AM
atomdanger

I think its his work ethic.

Sure Fedor is top tier in the world in sambo,
but he also worked with Rickson on BJJ, and Hoost on kickboxing.
He spends time with the best of the best in different disciplines.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I think its his work ethic.

Sure Fedor is top tier in the world in sambo,
but he also worked with Rickson on BJJ, and Hoost on kickboxing.
He spends time with the best of the best in different disciplines.
I think Fedor is the best fighter in the world right now. Why doesn't he "look" like a fighter? Does he spend all his time on technique and not concentrate as much on strength training (although, undoubtedly he is very strong)? I wonder if it is his genetics or maybe he doesn't follow a strict diet. He is probably the "baddest" man on the planet but his physique isn't that impressive for a professional athlete.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:25 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
I think Fedor is the best fighter in the world right now. Why doesn't he "look" like a fighter? Does he spend all his time on technique and not concentrate as much on strength training (although, undoubtedly he is very strong)? I wonder if it is his genetics or maybe he doesn't follow a strict diet. He is probably the "baddest" man on the planet but his physique isn't that impressive for a professional athlete.
IMO

The less time you spend on looking good, the more time you're spending on being good.
He obviously has great cardio and is in great shape, he just doesn't have our American attitude of having to look cut and in shape to be an athlete.
Looking good does nothing for you in a fight, if it is a bi product of your work, then fine, but IMO for a fighter looking good should never be a goal.

physique means nothing. Realistically its completely superficial,
if you're strong and have great conditioning what good does looking it do?
He also doesn't dehydrate and cut down like most fighters in the states,
he weights less than a lot of UFC LHW's, and about the same as some MW's.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
IMO

The less time you spend on looking good, the more time you're spending on being good.
He obviously has great cardio and is in great shape, he just doesn't have our American attitude of having to look cut and in shape to be an athlete.
Looking good does nothing for you in a fight, if it is a bi product of your work, then fine, but IMO for a fighter looking good should never be a goal.

physique means nothing. Realistically its completely superficial,
if you're strong and have great conditioning what good does looking it do?
He also doesn't dehydrate and cut down like most fighters in the states,
he weights less than a lot of UFC LHW's, and about the same as some MW's.
Whatever he is doing, it is obviously working. He has enough body fat on him, that I bet he could cut down to 205 lbs., without losing too much strength, and clean out that division, as well.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:52 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Whatever he is doing, it is obviously working. He has enough body fat on him, that I bet he could cut down to 205 lbs., without losing too much strength, and clean out that division, as well.
Oh I don't doubt it.
I am sure he could make 205, and there are a lot of interesting fights for him there,
but I cannot imagine that happening.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Oh I don't doubt it.
I am sure he could make 205, and there are a lot of interesting fights for him there,
but I cannot imagine that happening.

Yeah, at this point I would be happy if he would just sign a contract with the UFC as a heavyweight.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
I think Fedor is the best fighter in the world right now.
you're obviously a smart individual.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Chris F

[QUOTE=Play The Man][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]I think Fedor is the best fighter in the world right now. [QUOTE]

If he really was the best he would have signed the contract and proved it. Till then he is a paper champ
Old 08-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Hughes_GOAT

he's the only #1 ranked fighter not in the UFC. that's how good he is and the respect he gets from the MMA world. not bad for a "paper champ." he doesn't need to prove anything. the Brock fight would be the only interesting fight in the UFC. i'd rather see him face Barnett, he can have the steroids too, or Overeem, Werdum, and Rogers.