Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-31-2009, 04:08 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136
that makes it even worse. i doubt they could have made pride give in to co promotion demands if it had existed then. other fight companies have nothing to gain by co promoting with them except one fighter and its absurd that any company would go through that just for that one fighter. if it wasnt for that fedor and the ufc probably wouldve came to a compromise.
Fedor actually turned down the UFC before he joined M-1. and Pride let him fight in RINGS and Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:12 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136
i also dont agree with some people saying that competition outside the ufc is better than in the ufc. would anyone really rather watch fedor fight jeff monson, overeem, and brett rogers over brock, shane, cain, mir, kongo and cro cop?
the only guy in the UFC i would watch over Fedor vs Overeem, Rogers, is Brock. Carwin, Cain, Mir no thanks. i still want to see him fight Barnett, steroids or not.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:25 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
not recently? his last three opponents were #6, #3 and would have been #2 had Barnett not failed his drug test. that's recent to me.
Josh never happened so we can't include that....

The other two fights illustrate how small the pond is, not how big the fish is.

The HW division is weak inside and definitely outside of the UFC. Fedor has built his legend off of great victories over top ranked opponents YEARS ago... since then he's just living off residuals brother...

1 fight so far in '09, 1 fight in all of '08, 2 fights in '07 & '06... not exactly tearing up the joint. AA is the only fighter of any merit he's fought recently.

Tim... lost 4 out of his last 5 fights NOT counting getting his ass handed to him by a fat and out of shape Ray Mercer....

Hong??? Well he IS 2-2 with a very impressive win against a baseball player!

Matt... a solid fighter but far from elite...

Hunt... currently 5-6 riding an impressive 5 fight losing streak... FAR from elite.

Coleman... solid fighter... probably the most elite on the list of Fedors recent fights...

Like I've said probably a 100 times before on this board... I think Fedor is a very good fighter... maybe even a great one... but he's not the P4P IMO and he's not nearly as good as all of his fans make him out to be. Perhaps he was a few years ago ('03-'06) but not recently.

He's a very skilled fighter in the least skilled weight class in MMA. Until he's in the UFC he's more myth then legit to me. And before this fight happens IF it ever happens.... beating Brock wouldn't do much to change my opinion of Fedor. The albino gorilla is a riddle waiting to be solved... once it is... he's gone.. perhaps for good.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:06 AM
Hughes_GOAT

i'm not adding Josh as a win, just that he was fighting the #2 HW. you think Sylvia and AA weren't top comp but they were ranked #6 and #3 so you can't say Fedor wasn't facing top guys when you have 3 of the top 5 HW's outside the UFC. Fedor had 2 surgeries on his hand so he wasn't going to fight for a while. and when Pride was bought there weren't many guys to fight him. those 2 things are why he had gaps in fights. he wasn't sitting on the couch. Tim was 7-2 in his last 9 UFC fights before he faced
Old 07-31-2009, 05:07 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Fedor. his 2 losses were title fights. he weighed 311 against Mercer, he didn't take it serious. you said recent and Hunt, Coleman and Choi aren't recent. Fedor fought the #6, #3 and would have been #2 HW all within 12.5 months. fact is, the UFC doesn't have 3 of the top 5 HW's. Fedor has fought some lesser fighters like GSP did with Serra, except he hasn't been Serra'd like GSP. he defies the odds. he doesn't lose no matter if it's a top guy or can. Fedor is ranked #1 across the board.

Last edited by Hughes_GOAT; 07-31-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:13 AM
Hughes_GOAT

and if not Brock, who would he have to beat in the UFC to have you change your opinion? Mir, Couture, Cain, Carwin?

please.

and MW is the least talented division, not HW. Silva beating Franklin, Cote, Lutter, Leites isn't more impressive than Fedor's list of former champs. who has more former champs in the current top 10? MW or HW?

btw, Hunt was 5-2 when he fought Fedor with wins over Wandy and CC. Fedor broke his fighting spirit, like Sylvia and AA. so they went on losing streaks after Fedor.

Last edited by Hughes_GOAT; 07-31-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 AM
MMA_Fan

A young Randy could beat Fedor. Notice I wrote "could". Nothing is for sure in MMA.

I think Fedor was a great fighter. WAS. He has done nothing as of late. He got lucky with a few of his previous fights, (Randleman ring a bell?) and now he's some sort of immortal. Well, Fedor has not fought anybody for 2-3 yrs. If he fights Brock and wins (I hope he does) then he may stick around the UFC and tear it up for awhile. Until then, he is that fish story your Uncle Jim tells you about every summer.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Fedor's brothers could beat a young Couture. Randleman fight lucky? Randleman suplexed Fedor, and had that been Randy, he would have died. Fedor subbed Randleman 2 secs later. Fedor's last 2 fights were against #6 & #3 HW's. Barnett was #2 HW but failed a drug test. all 3 fights were set in a 12.5 month period. so get that 2-3 years out of here. and yes, Fedor would beat Brock. Fedor is ranked #1 HW in MMA, 8 straight years. UFC went after Fedor harder than anyone. not bad for a fish story.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 PM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I honestly don't want to see anything other than Fedor / Brock in the UFC.

and in that case I don't even imagine Brock winning,
I just want to shut people up.
I don't think the UFC has a bunch of guys who pose serious threats to Fedor,
but in fairness I don't think any HW poses serious threats to Fedor.

I totally agree. I think the biggest challenge for Fedor is Brock, and vice versa. Nobody else is really worth mentioning. It really seems like the Brock vs Fedor fight is meant to happen, its just the perfect fight and the reason for it not happening right now is insanely shady. Fedor is going to take a hit for this, sadly, which sucks because its pretty obvious the people around him are the ones to blame.