Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Crisco

Default Tattoo's of Christian Symbolism

What are your opinions of them?

I know the bible says do not mark yourself for the dead but does it say anything else regarding tattoo's?

I'm thinking of getting some scripture tattooed on my leg and I'm somewhat conflicted as to if it would be hypocritical.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:12 AM
Administrator

The only verse I've found that specifically references tattoo markings is Leviticus 19:28 - "Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."

In the OT times, tattoos only existed for pagan religious worship. I don't think people got tattoos for purely aesthetic reasons back in those days. So I can understand why GOD would not want His people to get tattoos.

However, speaking as someone who has a couple of tattoos, I'd recommend thinking it through very thoroughly. They're never going to come off and do you really want them on your body when you're 60 years old? I got two tattoos when I was in the Army and I really wish I had never wasted my money on them.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Stump Rules!

http://www.costhelper.com/cost/healt...o-removal.html

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 07-31-2009, 01:05 AM

I don't know enough to comment on any Biblical injunction against them; however, purely from the perspective of prudence, one word comes to mind: "Why?" It seems to me that this whole tattoo craze is likely a fad and a lot of people are going to be left with the bodily equivalent of a permanent pair of parachute pants. At least a fool that got a "Flock of Seagulls" haircut in the '80's was able to let it grow out; not so with the chump that, not knowing any oriental languages, gets kanji characters meaning "crazy diarrhea" tattooed on his body in some lame attempt to ape Chuck Liddell or GSP. I feel bad for the women that get "tramp stamps"; they are going to be the laughing stock of the nursing home one day.

Crisco, how about hiring an artist to write the scripture in calligraphy and have it framed for your home? If you want something on your person, design a tasteful signet ring with a Christian symbol, with scripture engraved on the inside. Alternatively, concentrate on the love of scripture and forget about the symbolism and buy a very nice Bible, which you can use your entire life, and pass on to your children.

Please think long and hard about this, because unless you get laser treatments, it is permanent.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:26 AM
Stump Rules!

Oh come on....you know those women with the tramp stamps will be envied by the time they reach an old folks home

Old 07-31-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
Oh come on....you know those women with the tramp stamps will be envied by the time they reach an old folks home
Women live longer than men and by the time they reach nursing-home age, the old women in the nursing home vastly outnumber the men. When this generation gets old, the "randy" old men will know to target the little old ladies with the "tramp stamps".
Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 AM
Stump Rules!

Actually I was thinking about the little old ladies to will be envious because they never did anything to...oh never mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
Women live longer than men and by the time they reach nursing-home age, the old women in the nursing home vastly outnumber the men. When this generation gets old, the "randy" old men will know to target the little old ladies with the "tramp stamps".

Old 07-31-2009, 03:17 AM
atomdanger

There is always wrecking balm.

But either way, I remember asking about the tattoo thing.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
There is always wrecking balm.

But either way, I remember asking about the tattoo thing.
I had never heard of "wrecking balm". Does it actually work? If tattoos lose popularity, I could see a lot of people buying that stuff. Perhaps, it would be a good investment opportunity.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:58 AM
Chris F

Jesus has a Tattoo. Bibles says on his thigh is written the name King of Kings and Lord of Lords.