Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 07-30-2009, 07:05 PM
County Mike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
I agree and disagree ... i think you are right in that some of the leaders are holding back blacks from progressing forward ... they are not teaching blacks to integrate and move on with the past and better yourself ... being brown, (LOL) ... having a leader like Gandhi was way different ... (now i am not that old, but he laid the groundwork for the progress of india) ... he was able to bring the best out of Indians and tell them to not rely on the British for anything, so they made their own clothes, got their salt from the ocean ... all of which was against the law at the time, but was an unjust law ... now look at the progress of india .. sure they still have a ways to go, but since gaining independence in 1947 to 60 years later being where they are today .. so that i agree with you ... but to know ones history, or to learn about things. in my history class in highschool, we learned how the chinese were a major part of building the railway here in North America ... is that racist? ..
I think it depends on your definition of racist. To me, anything that is based on race is racist. That doesn't make it wrong. The word "racist" has taken on a negative tone that isn't completely warranted. "Chinese History" is racist if you're talking about the Chinese people and not events in China. However it should be taught as part of any history. Same as American History or whatever else you feel is relevant. Don't always think of the word "racist" as a bad thing. I think that's where the major dispute on this topic is coming from.

"African American Studies" is a racist course, but that doesn't mean it's not worth teaching/learning. I brought up the fact that he teaches these courses because it could help show his pre-conceived mindset on basing things (like his being questioned) on race. If he taught simple science or math, I wouldn't have made the same conclusion.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-30-2009, 07:07 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
I think it depends on your definition of racist. To me, anything that is based on race is racist. That doesn't make it wrong. The word "racist" has taken on a negative tone that isn't completely warranted. "Chinese History" is racist if you're talking about the Chinese people and not events in China. However it should be taught as part of any history. Same as American History or whatever else you feel is relevant. Don't always think of the word "racist" as a bad thing. I think that's where the major dispute on this topic is coming from.

"African American Studies" is a racist course, but that doesn't mean it's not worth teaching/learning. I brought up the fact that he teaches these courses because it could help show his pre-conceived mindset on basing things (like his being questioned) on race. If he taught simple science or math, I wouldn't have made the same conclusion.
so when you say racist, do you mean discriminatory? ah forget it .. i think i know what you mean ...
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-30-2009, 07:14 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
in my history class in highschool, we learned how the chinese were a major part of building the railway here in North America ... is that racist? ..
There is nothing wrong with studying about the contributions of different ethnic groups or cultures; but it should be taught within the grand scope of world history. To single out one particular race, based solely on their race, and only teach about their contributions to history, at the exclusion of every other race, is racist.

It's because of all these segregated race-history and feminism courses, that our college campuses have become the primary breeding grounds of modern racism.

Modern racism states that as long as you only hate white people and Jews, then it's okay to be racist and, as long as you only hate heterosexual men, then it's okay to be sexist. That's nonsense.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,264
Default

I was critical of Professor Gate's actions; however, I read that he has chosen "Red Stripe" as his beer of choice for tonight's "beer summit". I will give him a compliment: he has great taste in beer.

__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
I was critical of Professor Gate's actions; however, I read that he has chosen "Red Stripe" as his beer of choice for tonight's "beer summit". I will give him a compliment: he has great taste in beer.

Says you sir... Says you.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-31-2009, 01:07 AM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,490
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

I hope the other guy stayed true and requested PBR.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-31-2009, 01:17 AM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,264
Default

Professor Gates went with Samuel Adams Light. A good beer in my opinion. Good choice, professor!
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-31-2009, 01:18 AM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Says you sir... Says you.
What beer is enjoyed in "Dirty Jersey" . . . a "dirty thirty"?
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-31-2009, 05:55 AM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
What beer is enjoyed in "Dirty Jersey" . . . a "dirty thirty"?
Many different kinds. It depends on my mood.

Light or dark beer.

Light is probably Corona. For a dark I like Killian Irish Red.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Chris Wescott
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

All about the guiness for me....delicious!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.