Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-30-2009, 07:05 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
I agree and disagree ... i think you are right in that some of the leaders are holding back blacks from progressing forward ... they are not teaching blacks to integrate and move on with the past and better yourself ... being brown, (LOL) ... having a leader like Gandhi was way different ... (now i am not that old, but he laid the groundwork for the progress of india) ... he was able to bring the best out of Indians and tell them to not rely on the British for anything, so they made their own clothes, got their salt from the ocean ... all of which was against the law at the time, but was an unjust law ... now look at the progress of india .. sure they still have a ways to go, but since gaining independence in 1947 to 60 years later being where they are today .. so that i agree with you ... but to know ones history, or to learn about things. in my history class in highschool, we learned how the chinese were a major part of building the railway here in North America ... is that racist? ..
I think it depends on your definition of racist. To me, anything that is based on race is racist. That doesn't make it wrong. The word "racist" has taken on a negative tone that isn't completely warranted. "Chinese History" is racist if you're talking about the Chinese people and not events in China. However it should be taught as part of any history. Same as American History or whatever else you feel is relevant. Don't always think of the word "racist" as a bad thing. I think that's where the major dispute on this topic is coming from.

"African American Studies" is a racist course, but that doesn't mean it's not worth teaching/learning. I brought up the fact that he teaches these courses because it could help show his pre-conceived mindset on basing things (like his being questioned) on race. If he taught simple science or math, I wouldn't have made the same conclusion.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:07 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
I think it depends on your definition of racist. To me, anything that is based on race is racist. That doesn't make it wrong. The word "racist" has taken on a negative tone that isn't completely warranted. "Chinese History" is racist if you're talking about the Chinese people and not events in China. However it should be taught as part of any history. Same as American History or whatever else you feel is relevant. Don't always think of the word "racist" as a bad thing. I think that's where the major dispute on this topic is coming from.

"African American Studies" is a racist course, but that doesn't mean it's not worth teaching/learning. I brought up the fact that he teaches these courses because it could help show his pre-conceived mindset on basing things (like his being questioned) on race. If he taught simple science or math, I wouldn't have made the same conclusion.
so when you say racist, do you mean discriminatory? ah forget it .. i think i know what you mean ...
Old 07-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
in my history class in highschool, we learned how the chinese were a major part of building the railway here in North America ... is that racist? ..
There is nothing wrong with studying about the contributions of different ethnic groups or cultures; but it should be taught within the grand scope of world history. To single out one particular race, based solely on their race, and only teach about their contributions to history, at the exclusion of every other race, is racist.

It's because of all these segregated race-history and feminism courses, that our college campuses have become the primary breeding grounds of modern racism.

Modern racism states that as long as you only hate white people and Jews, then it's okay to be racist and, as long as you only hate heterosexual men, then it's okay to be sexist. That's nonsense.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:08 PM

I was critical of Professor Gate's actions; however, I read that he has chosen "Red Stripe" as his beer of choice for tonight's "beer summit". I will give him a compliment: he has great taste in beer.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
I was critical of Professor Gate's actions; however, I read that he has chosen "Red Stripe" as his beer of choice for tonight's "beer summit". I will give him a compliment: he has great taste in beer.

Says you sir... Says you.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:07 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

I hope the other guy stayed true and requested PBR.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:17 AM

Professor Gates went with Samuel Adams Light. A good beer in my opinion. Good choice, professor!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Says you sir... Says you.
What beer is enjoyed in "Dirty Jersey" . . . a "dirty thirty"?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:55 AM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
What beer is enjoyed in "Dirty Jersey" . . . a "dirty thirty"?
Many different kinds. It depends on my mood.

Light or dark beer.

Light is probably Corona. For a dark I like Killian Irish Red.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Chris Wescott

All about the guiness for me....delicious!