Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 AM
mscomc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
The fact is you don't what he has "been through". Unless you have a detailed knowledge of his youth you are making assumptions. Whatever his experiences as a youth, he is not allowed to disobey the police. Are you going to tell me there is no such thing as bad black professors?
OF COURSE THERE ARE BAD proffessors...bad doctors....bad teachers...bad lawyers...BAD EVERYTHING. their are bad apples in every profession., COPS ASWELL. All I am trying to do is try to show things from another perspective, and that we all shouldnt just agree with a cop because he is a cop and COPS are always the best....its not true.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:02 AM
mscomc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
The fact is you don't what he has "been through". Unless you have a detailed knowledge of his youth you are making assumptions. Whatever his experiences as a youth, he is not allowed to disobey the police. Are you going to tell me there is no such thing as bad black professors?
You are right, I am making an assumption, but for me it is a little more than an assumption. I myself am a visible minority, and I have many family members who are from and lived in the states during the civil rights movement, and they have shared their experiences with me. From a probability point of view, I think it would be fair to say that the chances of Gates being treated less than fairly by cops at some point in youth is pretty high.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc
this site had like 30 page thread when that grandma got tased by some cop, and people thought he was probably acting all high and mighty.

So, not trying to pick sides, but maybe its not as cut and dry as it looks.
Officer Crowley didn't assault anybody, including Professor Gates. His actions were observed (at least the tail end of them) by: a Hispanic cop, a Black cop, the woman that phoned in the report as well as a small crowd of onlookers that gathered because Gate's was screaming. Interestingly, according to the caller's lawyer, the caller heard much of the interaction and supports the cop's story, but will not repeat the words that she heard come out of Gate's mouth, because she is fearful of getting further involved.
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,262
Default

[QUOTE=mscomc]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]
And you are defending the working-class cop? So gates isnt working class? The guy doesnt have to work for his money. That guy didnt have to pull himself up by his bootstraps and work hard to earn a pHD, and then no doubt had to work even harder to obtain a tenured position at HARVARD!!!.
"Working-class" is a class distinction. It says nothing about how hard someone works or how many hours they put in. It is used in this context, as opposed to, "professional" class. For all I know, Gates could have come from a "working-class" background; however, he is not now, and has not been for decades, "working-class"
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:13 AM
mscomc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[QUOTE=Play The Man]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc

"Working-class" is a class distinction. It says nothing about how hard someone works or how many hours they put in. It is used in this context, as opposed to, "professional" class. For all I know, Gates could have come from a "working-class" background; however, he is not now, and has not been for decades, "working-class"
ok, if thats what you meant, then i agree with that. I have heard the term working class used in other ways. But if that is what you mean, then ok.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:14 AM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc
You are right, I am making an assumption, but for me it is a little more than an assumption. I myself am a visible minority, and I have many family members who are from and lived in the states during the civil rights movement, and they have shared their experiences with me. From a probability point of view, I think it would be fair to say that the chances of Gates being treated less than fairly by cops at some point in youth is pretty high.
Don't try and play the "race" card on me. You don't know the race of my family, my wife or my child. Taking this unnecessary detour is not a good sign when defending an argument. I don't care how Gates was treated by police officers 50 years ago. It has absolutely no bearing on how he should provide identification when a police officer is investigating a home break-in.
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:27 AM
mscomc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
Don't try and play the "race" card on me. You don't know the race of my family, my wife or my child. Taking this unnecessary detour is not a good sign when defending an argument. I don't care how Gates was treated by police officers 50 years ago. It has absolutely no bearing on how he should provide identification when a police officer is investigating a home break-in.
First of all, dont get so hot and bothered. Second, maybe it is my fault for not articulating right, so I will try again. I am just trying to say that past experiences have probably corrupted his faith in the police department, if you dont think that matters, then ok, I cant change your mind, but you wont change mine either. I think that may have been a major reason why he may have started yelling or being irate, and the cop could have been less then fair with him while they interacted, I dont know the FULL story and neither do you. the very fact that you say: I don't care how Gates was treated by police officers 50 years ago. It has absolutely no bearing on how he should provide identification when a police officer is investigating a home break-in further suggests to me that you truly dont know the hurt that can be forever lasting from experiences like that....but maybe you are right, it is not necessary in the realm of this discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,262
Default

[QUOTE=mscomc]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]
And another thing, its good to defend the cop, as I encourage trying to see things from another persective, but do you honestly thinks that COPS can do no wrong? HMMM? And another thing, I to would have tried to argue from the cops perspective if I felt that was they way this thread was going. But most people on this thread, from what i read, were already agreeing with the cop, so I was trying to give a voice from Gates' perspective.
I am honestly troubled when I see a good man like Officer Crowley being falsely accused of something bad, like being a racist. I don't like when people make false accusations, because it leads to "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" phenomenon, where the label of "racist" has lost its meaning. People become cynical and when racism is really being practiced, they are unlikely to believe it, because the Al Sharptons of this world have turned the label into a joke. I honestly thought you were convinced that Gates was innocent and were trying to defend a mistreated man . . . and then I come to your post above. This whole thread has been an exercise in sophistry for you. I think I have raised good points about the innocence of Officer Crowley. MSCOMC, you are an admitted Sophist. I have better things to do with my time than participate in your sophistry. I will not be posting anymore in this thread.
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:43 AM
mscomc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

[QUOTE=Play The Man]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc

I am honestly troubled when I see a good man like Officer Crowley being falsely accused of something bad, like being a racist. I don't like when people make false accusations, because it leads to "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" phenomenon, where the label of "racist" has lost its meaning. People become cynical and when racism is really being practiced, they are unlikely to believe it, because the Al Sharptons of this world have turned the label into a joke. I honestly thought you were convinced that Gates was innocent and were trying to defend a mistreated man . . . and then I come to your post above. This whole thread has been an exercise in sophistry for you. I think I have raised good points about the innocence of Officer Crowley. MSCOMC, you are an admitted Sophist. I have better things to do with my time than participate in your sophistry. I will not be posting anymore in this thread.
Okie dokie, thats fine with me...i dont beleive i called him a racist or implied that, IF I DID, it was not my intention. You can call me a sophist, fine. I dont care, your oppinion of me doesnt matter at all.

At least I am not completely ignorant like you. "a good man like Officer Crowley"....so what you know him now? you were high school friends? ooo no, you have dinner parties with him? No that not enough, you were the best man at his wedding? You dont know him, and neither do I. You only know him though his 15 min of fame like the rest of us. So because he is a cop, he is automatically good? Ok then, if that is what you want to beleive, thats perfectly within your rights.

And you did raise good points of the officers innocence, i was trying to give another story to start a discussion. Isnt that what the courts do, the prosecution makes their case, and the defence gives theirs, often to poke holes in the prosecutions case. But, whatever...... Take care, and have a good night.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-29-2009, 04:44 AM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,479
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
The cop shoulda tased him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.