Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Exactly!

I agree 100%, too many people cannot control themselves.

Which is why I don't advocate total legalization of pot. Without a doubt, some people are effected in weird and different ways by drugs, but most people who are "high" on marijuana don't get violent because of marijuana, they were violent to begin with. As for driving a car while high, that is just stupid, but yes people do it.

The point I was aiming at was really the idea that pot is this horrible drug that ruins peoples lives. It's just silly. People make choices, and some people are just stupid. When people use the argument that "it's still illegal", that is just a cop out for actual thinking. I would argue that alcohol is much more dangerous and ruins many more lives than pot, and yet alcohol is still legal. It's a stigma that is slowly diminishing, and I am willing to bet that within the next 20 years or so, we will see reform come to the federal marijuana laws.
I agree that there are obsessive-compulsive types who can take anything too far. I've known of guys who have destroyed their finances and ruined their marriages collecting Star Wars toys.

In the case of drugs, however, I believe there is a mind-altering component to them that makes them more dangerous. I don't think that exists in alcohol. Again, I've never taken drugs and I don't pretend to be an expert on them, I can just report what I observe from non-repentant drug users.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:59 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I agree that there are obsessive-compulsive types who can take anything too far. I've known of guys who have destroyed their finances and ruined their marriages collecting Star Wars toys.

In the case of drugs, however, I believe there is a mind-altering component to them that makes them more dangerous. I don't think that exists in alcohol. Again, I've never taken drugs and I don't pretend to be an expert on them, I can just report what I observe from non-repentant drug users.

WHOA....

Bro, if you don't think Alcohol has mind altering effects then you have never been drunk, or been in a bar, lol.

I will be 100% honest, I used to have a real problem with alcohol, lucky for me the Lord opened my eyes and gave me a chance to live different before I ended up dead. I know all too much about drugs and alcohol, and it's not something I am proud of. However, I will tell you straight up, Pot is not that strong of a drug. In comparison to just about any other drug I can think of, Pot is the least dangerous. The worst part about Pot is that smoking is bad for your lungs and throat.

The Star Wars thing....thats just weird...
Old 02-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Stump Rules!

I'm practically an expert on addiction.An addict is an addict is an addict. None "worse" then the other as far as life destroying.Well, other then drugs/alcohol not having quite the same "mind altering" affect as Star Wars toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Most people just have no will power to quit. I smoked marijuana from the time I was 15 until I was 26 (March 2006). Quitting was easy. I finished what I had, gave away my things and that was it. I also, except on rare occassions, stopped binge drinking and pretty much, drinking altogether (I may have a beer a week). In those days, I was smoking multiple times a day, and it was easy to down 24 beers. It was easy to quit. I felt so much better. I also did meth for a few months, that stuff sucked so bad, it was VERY easy to quit. The biggest problem the other guys had was they couldn't stand the withdrawal and would get high again.

Honestly, if there was any urge to do any of them again, it would be marijuana, simply because it's more relaxing and definitely less harmful than the others.

It all comes down to will power. Some people want to quit and will without any problems or regrets. Others don't.

I also wanted to point out that I never had memory, relationship, or work problems. I'm in commission-based sales for a living so memory recognition is vital to success, I never had any issues with that. I purchased my first house at age 26 in a quiet San Antonio suburb. Brand new house, was even able to pick the paint, flooring, etc. Reason I quit? I was 190 pounds at 5'7" and hated myself because of it, lol

The stereotyping is ridiculous.

Last edited by rockdawg21; 02-05-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:20 AM
Stump Rules!

You were able to make that choice easily and that's fantastic my friend, but for most other people it simply isn't that easy.For some, it's actually hopeless and people end up dead on the bathroom floor with a needle stuck in their arm for someone else to find their body.Even after many many trips to rehab centers. Like I said, good for you that you got to choose.Most people don't . Addiction is a disease and like all diseases, there are different depths

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Most people just have no will power to quit. I smoked marijuana from the time I was 15 until I was 26 (March 2006). Quitting was easy. I finished what I had, gave away my things and that was it. I also, except on rare occassions, stopped binge drinking and pretty much, drinking altogether (I may have a beer a week). In those days, I was smoking multiple times a day, and it was easy to down 24 beers. It was easy to quit. I felt so much better. I also did meth for a few months, that stuff sucked so bad, it was VERY easy to quit. The biggest problem the other guys had was they couldn't stand the withdrawal and would get high again.

Honestly, if there was any urge to do any of them again, it would be marijuana, simply because it's more relaxing and definitely less harmful than the others.

It all comes down to will power. Some people want to quit and will without any problems or regrets. Others don't.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:20 AM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
Considered illegal? You mean is illegal
6 and one half-dozen. Same difference.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
You were able to make that choice easily and that's fantastic my friend, but for most other people it simply isn't that easy.For some, it's actually hopeless and people end up dead on the bathroom floor with a needle stuck in their arm for someone else to find their body.Even after many many trips to rehab centers. Like I said, good for you that you got to choose.Most people don't . Addiction is a disease and like all diseases, there are different depths
Well, my opinion, from my experience is that some people want to quit, others just talk. Kinda like actions, few people do, most talk. I've always been kind of a control-type of person (not meaning, "controlling", lol), but have always had it in my mind that I'M the one in control, NOT the drug or alcohol - that's just a fun and temporary escape from reality. Party hard (when it's not going to affect work - headaches, being late, etc.), but work harder. That mentality has a lot to do with personal success.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:28 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
6 and one half-dozen. Same difference.
No, not really. "Considered dead" and "is dead" are completely different. "Considered free" and "is free" are completely different. "Considered cheating" and "is cheating" are completely different (as any glance into the GSP greasing thread will show).
Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 AM
Stump Rules!

Again, that's you and your experience. It's very different for others.Consider yourself damn lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Well, my opinion, from my experience is that some people want to quit, others just talk. Kinda like actions, few people do, most talk. I've always been kind of a control-type of person (not meaning, "controlling", lol), but have always had it in my mind that I'M the one in control, NOT the drug or alcohol - that's just a fun and temporary escape from reality. Party hard (when it's not going to affect work - headaches, being late, etc.), but work harder. That mentality has a lot to do with personal success.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
No, not really. "Considered dead" and "is dead" are completely different. "Considered free" and "is free" are completely different. "Considered cheating" and "is cheating" are completely different (as any glance into the GSP greasing thread will show).
Not quite the same as tomatoes (toe may toes) tomatoes (toe mot toes) is it?