Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

When people who have never smoked marijuana make blanket comments about it's effects they are almost always WRONG.

People who have addictive personalities and no self control are just as likely to become addicted to hard drugs no matter if they ever smoke weed or not. Marijuana is not nearly as addictive as alcohol, and arguably not nearly as dangerous, and yet most people who condemn it's use would just as easily stop for a beer at a local bar, or have a night-cap before bed.

Also, I have played in, worked at, and frequented a LOT of bars in the midwest and the southwest, and you are much more likely to get offered coke when out at a bar than you are pot. So whats the real gateway?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:22 AM
Stump Rules!

Considered illegal? You mean is illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
23 year olds often do minor things that are considered illegal. You know, speed, play poker for money, smoke weed, etc. THAT'S what it has to do with it. He's young and on top of the world, all that pressure on his shoulders, let him cool out for a bit. He was only this nation's hopes and dreams for an Olympics and all.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-05-2009, 02:25 AM
Stump Rules!

For me peronally, it's not what people do/smoke/drink, it's when they do things like get behind the wheel, get in a fight and or grab a gun.Things they wouldnt do sober. That's what concerns me.
So drink up, smoke 12 joints, party til ya puke.Just don't let it affect me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
When people who have never smoked marijuana make blanket comments about it's effects they are almost always WRONG.

People who have addictive personalities and no self control are just as likely to become addicted to hard drugs no matter if they ever smoke weed or not. Marijuana is not nearly as addictive as alcohol, and arguably not nearly as dangerous, and yet most people who condemn it's use would just as easily stop for a beer at a local bar, or have a night-cap before bed.

Also, I have played in, worked at, and frequented a LOT of bars in the midwest and the southwest, and you are much more likely to get offered coke when out at a bar than you are pot. So whats the real gateway?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-05-2009, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake

Well, I'm not a drinker either. But I did notice lots of guys in the Army who would just sit around and dream about being able to smoke pot again. They never mentioned cocaine or any other drug. So, for a drug that is supposedly non-addictive, they sure talked about it a lot. And these were different guys that I knew in different units over the course of years. I'm not basing this on just one or two conversations I've had with one guy. These were guys that I talked to and hung out with for years and they never could get over their preoccupation with pot.

And I don't think I need to do drugs in order to make observations on their side effects. Just because I'm smart enough to not try them in the first place doesn't disqualify me from having an opinion.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:39 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
For me peronally, it's not what people do/smoke/drink, it's when they do things like get behind the wheel, get in a fight and or grab a gun.Things they wouldnt do sober. That's what concerns me.
Exactly!

I agree 100%, too many people cannot control themselves.

Which is why I don't advocate total legalization of pot. Without a doubt, some people are effected in weird and different ways by drugs, but most people who are "high" on marijuana don't get violent because of marijuana, they were violent to begin with. As for driving a car while high, that is just stupid, but yes people do it.

The point I was aiming at was really the idea that pot is this horrible drug that ruins peoples lives. It's just silly. People make choices, and some people are just stupid. When people use the argument that "it's still illegal", that is just a cop out for actual thinking. I would argue that alcohol is much more dangerous and ruins many more lives than pot, and yet alcohol is still legal. It's a stigma that is slowly diminishing, and I am willing to bet that within the next 20 years or so, we will see reform come to the federal marijuana laws.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:39 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
true true, but he did get a DUI also, just not on that night,actually shortly after the last olympics, i'm surprised we don't hear about that more
Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Well, I'm not a drinker either. But I did notice lots of guys in the Army who would just sit around and dream about being able to smoke pot again. They never mentioned cocaine or any other drug. So, for a drug that is supposedly non-addictive, they sure talked about it a lot. And these were different guys that I knew in different units over the course of years. I'm not basing this on just one or two conversations I've had with one guy. These were guys that I talked to and hung out with for years and they never could get over their preoccupation with pot.

And I don't think I need to do drugs in order to make observations on their side effects. Just because I'm smart enough to not try them in the first place doesn't disqualify me from having an opinion.
Nate, I did not say you were not entitled to your opinion. I just said that most people who make blanket comments on it's effects are usually wrong. As for those guys "dreaming" of smoking pot, I cannot comment on that. I don't see it as such a suprise that some guys who used to smoke pot would want to smoke it again. If they wanted to smoke that bad, maybe they should not have become soldiers? I never claimed it was "not-addictive", just that it is much less addictive than alcohol, which is legal.

As for forgetfulness, paranoia, and believing conspiracy theories, I have smoked a fair share in my time, and I am none of the things you listed. Good for you, you have never drank or smoked, but that dont mean that everyone who has is some sort of drugged up liberal zombie.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:47 AM
Hughes_GOAT

smoke it, Phelps!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthughesfan21
true true, but he did get a DUI also, just not on that night,actually shortly after the last olympics, i'm surprised we don't hear about that more
Yeah, he got a DUI, but alcohol is legal and not a "drug" so therefore, it's socially acceptable. Although, smoking some weed in a house is more harmful than driving a vehicle drunk.

Wait....
Old 02-05-2009, 02:52 AM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Yeah, he got a DUI, but alcohol is legal and not a "drug" so therefore, it's socially acceptable. Although, smoking some weed in a house is more harmful than driving a vehicle drunk.

Wait....
yeah for sure, I've never smoked pot in my life, but I do agree in partial legalization, because ultimately there has become a large false stigma about it in the United States, it is portrayed as dangerous even though it probably is safer than alcohol(it actually has medicinal effects), and for certain cigarettes, it is not something I will ever do in my life, but I don't think are prisons need to be full of people caught smoking pot