Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Mac

Default Ed Freeman , Now THATS a HERO!

Ed Freeman

You're an 18 or 19 year old kid. You're critically wounded, and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley, 11-14-1965, LZ Xray, Vietnam. Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 - 1, and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out. Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter, and you look up to see an un-armed Huey, but it doesn't seem real, because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.
He's coming anyway.
And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and Nurses
And, he kept coming back... 13 more times..... And took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient Ed Freeman died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise, ID ...May God rest his soul...

Old 02-05-2009, 01:15 AM
internationalharvester

sad passing of a true American Hero
Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Super Moderator

Oh Mac. Vietnam vets have a special place in my heart. When I'm out with my dad he wears his purple heart cap or is Vietnam Vet cap and people will stop us and shake his hand and tell him thank you. Makes me tear up every time. He started telling stories to me about it when I was there this last visit. He is finally able to talk about it some. He has tons of pictures and video from there. Mom is taking it to a place and having it put on DVD. It's from an old reel-to-reel type video. We have VHS tape of some of it.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
Oh Mac. Vietnam vets have a special place in my heart. When I'm out with my dad he wears his purple heart cap or is Vietnam Vet cap and people will stop us and shake his hand and tell him thank you. Makes me tear up every time. He started telling stories to me about it when I was there this last visit. He is finally able to talk about it some. He has tons of pictures and video from there. Mom is taking it to a place and having it put on DVD. It's from an old reel-to-reel type video. We have VHS tape of some of it.

~Amy

Im kinda doin a car in a subtle sort of way for the war vets , themed towards Vietnam. Back in the 60's was the Heyday for a certain type of race car known as a gasser. Straight axle , nose up , big motors and radiused wheel wells. The car is a 55 chevy , All the gassers had cool names so mines name is " Run Through The Jungle" one reason , Vietnam , and the second is the song by CCR. THe trunk lid will have a big POW/MIA , right in the middle. It all kinda ties in , the Era of the car , the style , the name and the Symbol. There is a short video of my progress so far on youtube done to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/user/macfrederick

Last edited by Mac; 02-05-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Im kinda doin a car in a subtle sort of way for the war vets , themed towards Vietnam. Back in the 60's was the Heyday for a certain type of race car known as a gasser. Straight axle , nose up , big motors and radiused wheel wells. The car is a 55 chevy , All the gassers had cool names so mines name is " Run Through The Jungle" one reason , Vietnam , and the second is the song by CCR. THe trunk lid will have a big POW/MIA , right in the middle. It all kinda ties in , the Era of the car , the style , the name and the Symbol. There is a short video of my progress so far on youtube done to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/user/macfrederick

Wow, Mac. That's awesome!! You just gained a few "cool" points for that, goodness knows you need some.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 02-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Stump Rules!

Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN
Wow, Mac. That's awesome!! You just gained a few "cool" points for that, goodness knows you need some.

~Amy

http://stumpdotcom.com/