Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 02-17-2009, 04:44 AM
lyndsey823

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikthehick
My friend Jen just gave me the "Shack", it was a NY times bestseller and is highly regarded. Anyone else read it??
i read it a couple of months ago, it was pretty good. the middle got a little drawn out and kind of confusing for me. but the end was great, i bawled my eyes out. a couple of my girl friends and i have been passing it along to someone else, so my mom is reading it now. it could have been better, but i guess so could most books!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:20 PM
TheConcretekid

I highly recommend:

"Fear and Trembling" by Soren Kierkegaard (A 19th century Danish existentialist)

An entire book about Gen 22, the story of Abraham and Issac, and the Absurd. Kind of a tough read, but will probably blow your mind.

and

"Slaughterhouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut (A WWII vet and one of Americas most prolific authors of our lifetime)

The (semi-autobiographical) story of an American POW who survived the allied bombings of Dresden, and his return to the States coping with his experiences. NOT your average war novel. Has elements of sci-fi, fourth dimensionalism, free will, quietism, and has been the center of much controversy, censorship and bans; it is also on the American Library Association's list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2000.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I'm reading "A fighters heart" its...FAR more heavy then I thought it would be...but its an interesting read.

I've picked up some new foreign words to use from it at least

trust his first words about MFS to be something like "I didnt really talk much to Jens Pulver though" *throws book down in disgust and cries in the corner at the lost cameo *
Old 03-10-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
I'm reading "A fighters heart" its...FAR more heavy then I thought it would be...but its an interesting read.

I've picked up some new foreign words to use from it at least

trust his first words about MFS to be something like "I didnt really talk much to Jens Pulver though" *throws book down in disgust and cries in the corner at the lost cameo *
"...picks up jens' book and rereads for the 50th time*

[
Old 03-10-2009, 06:29 PM
TheConcretekid

Quote:
My new life motto is a relatively heavy quote from that book:
"When given the choice between doing something and not doing it, you have to do it, because you already did the 'not do it' part."
Old 03-10-2009, 07:12 PM
bradwright

two very good books are,

Kane and Able.

Rich Man Poor Man.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
"...picks up jens' book and rereads for the 50th time*
add an extra Zero to that figure please

Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 AM
mikthehick

I'm staying down in Lynchburg Va for a time, and I got a free book at my school called "Building the Faith" by Jerry Falwell. I know lots of people have an opinion of him and stuff, but it is a devotional book and I'm looking forward to reading it.

Also about to start "A Fighter's Heart" and "The Shack" as soon as I'm done with these 2 classes.....looking forward to taking it easy from school for awhile
Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
add an extra Zero to that figure please

LOL
I'm about 15 pages from the end of A Fighter's Heart and I REALLY liked it. I totally relate to his obsession with fighting. I think fear has always brought me back to training. I want to be confident that if I ever needed to defend myself or my loved ones I could. The parts about him and Pat Militech were really cool. Pat seems like a great guy and that seems to be the unanimous opinion on the man.
I highly recommend thsi book to anyone interested in fighting or self reflection.

[
Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 AM

My brother got me Blood in the Cage for my birthday last month. I liked reading about Pat Miletich and the old days of the UFC, since I didn't know much about either one. But I was really turned off by the author's treatment of Matt, those awful quotes by Ben Rothman after Matt left his camp and he got several things wrong (one was where the author said Matt won the belt from GSP, WTH???).

I think it was particularly unfair the way he portrayed Matt leaving and starting his own gym; Matt has said he only wants to fight Serra and then retire, what is he supposed to do, keep going to Bettendorf? It seems to me that one of the great things about being a champion would be having your OWN gym, in your OWN town, close to your family and friends. He's earned it by the blood, sweat and tears of fighting almost 50 fights but in the book it was implied that he was somehow disloyal for leaving Miletich Fighting Systems.

I'm not saying that Pat felt that way, I hope he didn't. But the author sure presented Matt in a poor light, that's my take anyway, FWIW.