Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
I never intended to argue the abolition of vaccines. I get them, my children get them. I just question the claims behind them sometimes.
That is all I care about. The rest is academic.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:46 AM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
It would be a fool's errand to try to follow the references of Neustaedter's article. It is not peer-reviewed. During the peer-review process, all of the references are checked and double-checked. In my opinion, what he wrote is "junk" science. His youngest example is 90 years old. All the examples take place in foreign countries where it would literally require someone to hop on an airplane and search foreign libraries to verify his statistics. In cases where claims of this ilk have been traced back to the source, it is invariably a late 19th century monograph by an anti-vaccine crank who never submitted his data for peer review.

Not peer reviewed? He is the author of The Vaccine Guide: Risks and benefits for children and adults. The book has been used as a reference by other doctors writing articles that have been published in medical journals. The book is used in classes taught in medical schools when learning of the great vaccine debate.

His sources and references are clearly listed in the book. Most of them are pretty common ones such as WHO, British Medical Journal, ones that are most likely easily found online so no backpacking to foreign lands. (The internet IS great!) lol

And he doesn't have a pony tail. He is bald.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:

Not peer reviewed? He is the author of The Vaccine Guide: Risks and benefits for children and adults. The book has been used as a reference by other doctors writing articles that have been published in medical journals. The book is used in classes taught in medical schools when learning of the great vaccine debate.

His sources and references are clearly listed in the book. Most of them are pretty common ones such as WHO, British Medical Journal, ones that are most likely easily found online so no backpacking to foreign lands. (The internet IS great!) lol

And he doesn't have a pony tail. He is bald.
Peer-reviewed means he has submitted a work of science to a reputable journal and had it reviewed by a panel of scientists, who examine every sentence, every graph, all the statistics and all the references. It is not uncommon for submissions to be rejected. Even submissions that are accepted are revised multiple times in an attempt to weed out any errors. I would bet that his book is either self-published or published by a quack publishing house. I would bet that the book is not taught in allopathic medical schools. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the pony-tail remark, I wasn't necessarily referring to the author you quoted (and I don't know if he really lives in a van down by the river) I was just suggesting to be careful about where you get medical advice. I have a question for you: If your child was deathly ill with an unknown disease and getting worse by the minute, if you had a choice, would you fly your child to the Mayo Clinic or would you fly your child to that author's Oriental medicine/acupuncture/homeopathic clinic? (Answer honestly! And no dodging the question!)
Old 07-30-2009, 04:10 AM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
Peer-reviewed means he has submitted a work of science to a reputable journal and had it reviewed by a panel of scientists, who examine every sentence, every graph, all the statistics and all the references. It is not uncommon for submissions to be rejected. Even submissions that are accepted are revised multiple times in an attempt to weed out any errors. I would bet that his book is either self-published or published by a quack publishing house. I would bet that the book is not taught in allopathic medical schools. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the pony-tail remark, I wasn't necessarily referring to the author you quoted (and I don't know if he really lives in a van down by the river) I was just suggesting to be careful about where you get medical advice. I have a question for you: If your child was deathly ill with an unknown disease and getting worse by the minute, if you had a choice, would you fly your child to the Mayo Clinic or would you fly your child to that author's Oriental medicine/acupuncture/homeopathic clinic? (Answer honestly! And no dodging the question!)
I would take my child to the Mayo Clinic. I'm not an idiot.

HE didn't do the research himself. So, his input is conjecture and not being questioned as to whether it is fact or not. He pulled the research from others (Such as WHO, British Medical Researchers, etc.) and compiled his book on vaccinations and referenced the researchers.

Whether I would use a real medical doctor or a homeopath has no bearing whatsoever on whether vaccines gave humans a monkey virus.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 AM
SupaDupaMod

http://books.google.com/books?id=_2o...sult&resnum=12

Check his references for his book yourself. Page 2 of references are all from the CDC. Others are from medical journals, etc. His book has legit stuff from reputable sources. Now hush.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
I would take my child to the Mayo Clinic. I'm not an idiot.

HE didn't do the research himself. So, his input is conjecture and not being questioned as to whether it is fact or not. He pulled the research from others (Such as WHO, British Medical Researchers, etc.) and compiled his book on vaccinations and referenced the researchers.

Whether I would use a real medical doctor or a homeopath has no bearing whatsoever on whether vaccines gave humans a monkey virus.
Well, Neezar, I think we're going to have to amicably agree to disagree. In my opinion, the guy cherrypicks information from sources that would likely be horrified by the distortion he is committing with their research. At least you vaccinate your kid and would have the good sense to seek proper medical care; unfortunately, there are people out there that will refuse vaccines and medical care for their children. Those are the people I am concerned about and the reason I kept this thread going for so long.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:39 AM
SupaDupaMod