Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Jason 16

Default WTF how Am I gaining weight

normaly I walk around at 170 when eating very healthy and working out about 2.5 hours 4 days a week. For the last 3 weeks I started training with the fighters on average 5 to 7 hours a day 7AM to 12pm or later. monday through wen I do the circit lifting starting with upper and working down to lower body then on thursday I power lift upper and then lower on friday. every day after lifting we do cardio of some kind normaly several thinks like yesterday after lifting I ran a mile on the tredmill as fast as I could I think it was 6:30 (I hate running) then we had 5 things we had to do carry cettle bells around the block then a sand bag then to 4 100 yard sprints with a parachute on you then 3 goes with the harness with some one holding on to it
and the last thing 10 mins on the step master thing. every day we mix up what we do after lifting normaly to go along with what we were doing for lifting and if its a bjj or a stand up day.well after all of this class starts and we normaly start with plyos and streching then we get into the rest of class.
Ive been eatting normal but I added muscle milk twice a day. I realy dint think it would make me gain weight because of every thing Ive been doing I thought I would be burning every thing I take in so Is the weight gain from extra water that I retained because of takeing muscle milk.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:23 PM

That is a killer work-out. Maybe you are putting on muscle?
Old 07-23-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Could be water weight, could be muscle. Most likely, it isn't fat. At your age, and your growth hormone levels, even doing extremely hard cardio, you could gain muscle. The body's ability to gain muscle trickles as your growth hormone levels drop, but that usually doesn't happen til your mid 20s. In your case, it's most likely muscle. The addition of the protein and calories in your muscle milk, plus, the intensity of your training might be the culprit.

Is your body fat staying the same? If so, it's most likely muscle.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Could be water weight, could be muscle. Most likely, it isn't fat. At your age, and your growth hormone levels, even doing extremely hard cardio, you could gain muscle. The body's ability to gain muscle trickles as your growth hormone levels drop, but that usually doesn't happen til your mid 20s. In your case, it's most likely muscle. The addition of the protein and calories in your muscle milk, plus, the intensity of your training might be the culprit.

Is your body fat staying the same? If so, it's most likely muscle.
I cant realy tell about my fat all I know Is the second I get home Iam out like a light for at least 2 hours. the only reason this weight gain is bugging me is that I normaly compete at 160 and I make that weight by just eating good that gets me down to 165 and I cut 5 pounds of water and Iam doing now what gets me down to 165 and Iam at 171ish
Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Crisco

If your taking the muscle milk on top of everything you use to eat and not subbing know that it's something like 350 calories a serving so your consuming an extra 700 calories more then what you use to a day.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
If your taking the muscle milk on top of everything you use to eat and not subbing know that it's something like 350 calories a serving so your consuming an extra 700 calories more then what you use to a day.
well 1200 should I use it as a meal replacement
Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Not sure what Muscle Milk you're consuming, but I've always known it to be around 300-400 calories per serving. Anyways, if you're eating 1200 extra calories a day, there's no doubt you're gaining weight.

Weight gain works like this - for every 3500 calories over your maintenance calories, you will gain 1 pound. For every 3500 calories under your maintenance calories, you will lose 1 pound. To gain 1 pound in 1 week, consume an additional 500 calories per day (500 x 7 = 3500 calories). To lose 1 pound in 1 week, consume 500 calories less per day (500 x 7 = 3500 calories).

Now depending whether you gain/lose muscle or fat is many different factors. If you lift weights and are eating above your maintenance calories, most of the weight gain will be muscle, at your age and growth hormone levels, it will almost definitely be only muscle, for us older guys, it would be a combination of muscle and fat, but mostly muscle.

In your case, you're probably burning extra calories, but not enough to counteract the additional 1200 calories per day from the Muscle Milk. Therefore, my analysis is that you're gaining muscle.

It's ok for a meal replacement (pretty low in carbs), but anytime you can eat real food, it's always better unless it's immediately post-workout when your body really utilizes a fast-digesting protein, such as the whey contained in Muscle Milk.

If you don't want to increase your muscle, drop the number of calories you're consuming each day. If you find it hard to do that and feel full, then eat very filling foods such as fresh veggies (they contain lots of water and fiber and this will fill you up for a LONG time), eat eggs for breakfast, and drink lots of water to keep your stomach full.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 16
well 1200 should I use it as a meal replacement
Everything Rock said =) That was going to be my next post.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 PM
rearnakedchoke

dude, your 17 and growing ... that is the explanation ...
Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
dude, your 17 and growing ... that is the explanation ...
This too. I don't know about your current situation, but I didn't hit adolescence until I was 16, so I also hit adulthood much later. Could be the same for you, but that's not my business