Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-22-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
I wish they would split the heavyweight division into heavyweight (205-230) and super-heavyweight (230-260). You are correct. The huge weight difference gives Lesnar an incredible advantage.
I kinda agree here. THere isn't any other weight division with such a large gap between the lower and higher weights.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R
I kinda agree here. THere isn't any other weight division with such a large gap between the lower and higher weights.
Yeah, I really wouldn't have a problem with that either. Lesnar's directly the reason why fighters are bulking up or dropping. Even Mir said after the fight he's going to bulk up to help defend the takedowns. You can be sure there'll be a Lesnar/Mir III possibly 1 year from now.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 PM
atomdanger

CC is doing his job, hyping a possible fight.

I would love to see a CC / Brock fight.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Hughes_GOAT

it's only when they lose to the bigger fighter do we hear it. no one complained when Couture was beating Sylvia (at least 270 fight time) and Gonzaga (probably 260 fight time). or Fedor beating 400+ lb Zulu or 330 lb Choi.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
it's only when they lose to the bigger fighter do we hear it. no one complained when Couture was beating Sylvia (at least 270 fight time) and Gonzaga (probably 260 fight time). or Fedor beating 400+ lb Zulu or 330 lb Choi.
You also never hear anybody saying, "It's not fair, Royce Gracie was using his BJJ to his advantage!" Well DUH, of course a fighter is going to use his skills and physical attributes to his advantage!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:31 AM
MMeh

That would be an interesting fight. While I think a precision striker with great takedown defense is the type of fighter that could beat Lesnar (because nobody is going to out power/wrestle that man), Cro Cop's UFC performances have been lacking in the latter element. He used a great sprawl in Pride, and in a pure striking match I think he would take Brock. But if Brock scores a takedown with more than 30 seconds to work his gnp, he would put Cro Cop out. Down the road, this could be good.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

I for one believe it take skill to put down and keep down some of these fighters! I'm not saying size and power don't help, but Brock evidently knows how to use that size and power!
Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 AM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
lesnar is a beast no doubt ... but the size thing is very important ... think about the GSP/BJ fight ... the nite of the fight, GSP was about 185 and Bj 170 ish .. that is 15 pounds ... and GSP dominated him ... some people say BJ is better technical, i disagree .... he is better in BJJ and that is it .. but that 15 pounds was huge, GSP was able to control him ... now brock weighed 265 at the weigh ins and couture, mur, they weighed 220 and what 235-240? nite of the fight, brock was probably 280 or more ... that's 40-60 lbs ... that for sure is going to play a factor ...

I think it came/comes down to mobility. Brock at 265/280 has the physical zip of a Welterweight while Frank seemed to be more physically impaired, if not a little awkward. I think weight can certainly make a difference but I think the way one carries the weight is what makes all the difference. To me, Frank looked just as heavy as Brock, except he was a little messy. It seemed like Frank put a lot of talk behind matching Brocks weight, which he thought would neutralize Brocks power, which in the end, I think it played against him,IMO.

I think Mirko will put on a good fight against Brock, both guys love to stand up so it should be interesting.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner
I think it came/comes down to mobility. Brock at 265/280 has the physical zip of a Welterweight while Frank seemed to be more physically impaired, if not a little awkward. I think weight can certainly make a difference but I think the way one carries the weight is what makes all the difference. To me, Frank looked just as heavy as Brock, except he was a little messy. It seemed like Frank put a lot of talk behind matching Brocks weight, which he thought would neutralize Brocks power, which in the end, I think it played against him,IMO.

I think Mirko will put on a good fight against Brock, both guys love to stand up so it should be interesting.
Actually, Mir came in about 10 pounds less for this fight. I think he thought being fit would make a difference, but it didn't. Mir's already said for his next fight with Brock, he's going to bulk to help deal with the power.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Rev

He(mir) should also add a baseball bat to his list of things to help him deal with Brock.