Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Crowbar

He would probably maul Mirko and I have been a fan of Cro Cops for a long time. He would have to land quite a few of those low kicks to try and set up that big high kick, which would be nearly impossible with Brock taking him down after a couple low kick attempts. We didn't even get to see any of those knees and forearm shots Lesnar can deliver from the clinch and on the ground. It's going to take a HW that is really good off his back to beat Brock right now. If he knows there is no threat from subs he is going to be even more aggressive. Sure there is a chance of a HW with big KO power to catch him but I just don't see it happening. If Brock gets hit with a big shot he's going to take them down and most lilely give himself time to recover(like after taking the knee from Mir) unless he is knocked cold which I don't see happening.

I'm just interested in seeing how Nog will look against Randy. If he looks like the old Nog, he could be a bad match-up for Lesnar and have one of the better chances to beat him. If Nog has really declined that much and looks like he did against Mir, he won't make it past Randy and would really get hurt against Brock.

Sorry I got a little off track with the original thread subject.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Crow
He would probably maul Mirko and I have been a fan of Cro Cops for a long time. He would have to land quite a few of those low kicks to try and set up that big high kick, which would be nearly impossible with Brock taking him down after a couple low kick attempts. We didn't even get to see any of those knees and forearm shots Lesnar can deliver from the clinch and on the ground. It's going to take a HW that is really good off his back to beat Brock right now. If he knows there is no threat from subs he is going to be even more aggressive. Sure there is a chance of a HW with big KO power to catch him but I just don't see it happening. If Brock gets hit with a big shot he's going to take them down and most lilely give himself time to recover(like after taking the knee from Mir) unless he is knocked cold which I don't see happening.

I'm just interested in seeing how Nog will look against Randy. If he looks like the old Nog, he could be a bad match-up for Lesnar and have one of the better chances to beat him. If Nog has really declined that much and looks like he did against Mir, he won't make it past Randy and would really get hurt against Brock.

Sorry I got a little off track with the original thread subject.
Agreed!
Even a Gonzaga would be a good matchup in my opinion. Apparently Dos Antos has a pretty good BJJ game. We'll see how he does against Mirko.

[
Old 07-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Crisco

I still think Couture can beat Lesnar.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
If he gets past Nog I bet he'll get the winner of Crocop/Dos Santos.
I think he can beat Brock too.

[
Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
que

i would love to see how lesnar reacts to 2 or 3 good low kicks, as well. he has one of the most disproportionate bodies in MMA... he has little twig legs. i remember when frank mir submitted him looking at his legs and going "wow those are so skinny compared to the rest of his body he is going to snap them off"
Old 07-22-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
lesnar is a beast no doubt ... but the size thing is very important ... think about the GSP/BJ fight ... the nite of the fight, GSP was about 185 and Bj 170 ish .. that is 15 pounds ... and GSP dominated him ... some people say BJ is better technical, i disagree .... he is better in BJJ and that is it .. but that 15 pounds was huge, GSP was able to control him ... now brock weighed 265 at the weigh ins and couture, mur, they weighed 220 and what 235-240? nite of the fight, brock was probably 280 or more ... that's 40-60 lbs ... that for sure is going to play a factor ...
I wish they would split the heavyweight division into heavyweight (205-230) and super-heavyweight (230-260). You are correct. The huge weight difference gives Lesnar an incredible advantage.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I didn't see the fight live. I saw it on "Unleashed". I knew how it ended. I thought Couture was holding his own or winning up until he was TKO'd. It seemed like the punches were to the back of the head. Was that my imagination or was it commented on at the time?
Old 07-22-2009, 05:14 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
I didn't see the fight live. I saw it on "Unleashed". I knew how it ended. I thought Couture was holding his own or winning up until he was TKO'd. It seemed like the punches were to the back of the head. Was that my imagination or was it commented on at the time?
couture was ducking and got nailed behind the ear ... legal shot, but brock was getting tired .. speaking of randy .. has he looked very orange lately? either a bad case of fake n bake or he just tans real bad ...
Old 07-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Because those who are saying Brock lacks skill are just blinded by their jealousy/hatred of him. I've said it a few times on here, "You don't go 106-5, become a 2-time Big 10 Champ, national runner-up, and a national champ in NCAA Division-I Wrestling on just power alone."
I disagree Dawg...

I think it's obvious that brock lacks skill and I'm certainly not blinded by either jealousy or hatred. You can poses a skill (wrestling) and still lack skill as a mixed martial artist. That's why it's called Mixed martial arts....

You see it in other sports all the time... Barry Bonds?? He's not skilled imo.... he has a strength obviously (hitting for power) but not tremendously gifted on the field...

the best cross sports analogy for Brock IMO has always been Shaq... he has skill but I don't think you could call him skilled. (let it go JB!!!) He's done as well as he has based more on natural athleticism (not a skill) and genetics (also not a skill) then anything else. Is he a great player? Hell yeah. Skilled? Nope.

That's my problem with Brock or maybe more of a problem with his fans.... they admire and in some cases practically worship a guy who can attribute 90% of his MMA success to simply being bigger and stronger. I won't hold that against him but I can't give him credit for it either. I don't blame Brock for using his natural talents to his advantage but to me he would deserve less credit and less respect then a fighter who has spent years training in the different arts and honing his skills..

When Brock wins a fight... heck even a round using skill and not brute strength and size then I'll respect the guy... due to his attitude and lack of class however I'll probably never like him.

Like my thoughts towards the Diaz brothers... very, very highly skilled, amazing fighters... I have a ton of respect for their talent and skill.... but none for them as people.

My thoughts anyway...
Old 07-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I disagree Dawg...

I think it's obvious that brock lacks skill and I'm certainly not blinded by either jealousy or hatred. You can poses a skill (wrestling) and still lack skill as a mixed martial artist. That's why it's called Mixed martial arts....

You see it in other sports all the time... Barry Bonds?? He's not skilled imo.... he has a strength obviously (hitting for power) but not tremendously gifted on the field...

the best cross sports analogy for Brock IMO has always been Shaq... he has skill but I don't think you could call him skilled. (let it go JB!!!) He's done as well as he has based more on natural athleticism (not a skill) and genetics (also not a skill) then anything else. Is he a great player? Hell yeah. Skilled? Nope.

That's my problem with Brock or maybe more of a problem with his fans.... they admire and in some cases practically worship a guy who can attribute 90% of his MMA success to simply being bigger and stronger. I won't hold that against him but I can't give him credit for it either. I don't blame Brock for using his natural talents to his advantage but to me he would deserve less credit and less respect then a fighter who has spent years training in the different arts and honing his skills..

When Brock wins a fight... heck even a round using skill and not brute strength and size then I'll respect the guy... due to his attitude and lack of class however I'll probably never like him.

Like my thoughts towards the Diaz brothers... very, very highly skilled, amazing fighters... I have a ton of respect for their talent and skill.... but none for them as people.

My thoughts anyway...
Actually, it's called Mixed Martial Arts because the original premise is "What would happen if a boxer faced a wrestler or a BJJ fought a kick boxer, etc.?" The sport has evolved to the point where fans believe you have to be an expert in all areas in order to be successful, which is true in most cases.

Another reason people are upset is because Brock is demonstrating that his superior size, strength, and wrestling ability (not to forget those monster-sized fists) can bring victory without needing to submit your opponent, throw leg kicks, etc. It's still mixed martial arts, but the term has been redefined in the eyes of the fans. Granted, Brock's training to defend BJJ and learning to box, but when he puts anybody on their back, it's pretty much game over.

Last edited by rockdawg21; 07-22-2009 at 08:13 PM.