Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Maldonado136

Default SAY IT AINT SO!!! (affliction 3 in trouble)

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/fed...jeopardy-18663

i will be furious if vitor fights fedor. the man has been prepping for a middleweight fight not to mention that it is a terrible idea for anyone to take a fight with fedor on short notice. i dont care if lashley gets beat up.

EDIT: the article has been updated with what lashley said about the situation. i really hope vitor doesnt take the fight.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Vitor said he wanted to fight Fedor after the Arlovski bout.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
GnP

From MMA weekly

It appears the main event of Affliction “Trilogy” will not survive its original incarnation.

According to a report on Sherdog.com and multiple sources MMAWeekly.com spoke with Tuesday night, the Aug. 1 card’s headlining bout between Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett will be scrapped just days before it was scheduled to grace the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

The Sherdog.com report cited multiple sources that said the California State Athletic Commission would not license Barnett due to a “positive test result,” presumably on the athlete’s pre-fight medical paperwork.

Barnett initially said he was unaware of the denial, but later added, “no matter what happens with this, I can assure you I will clear my name. This will not be something that I am defined by.”

Barnett’s manager, Shannon Hooper, did not respond to messages requesting comment on the situation.

Bill Douglas, Assistant Executive Officer of CSAC, wrote in an email to MMAWeekly.com that a “comprehensive statement” regarding the matter would be released on Wednesday.

Affliction representatives are currently working on a replacement opponent for Emelianenko, and sources have named Vitor Belfort and Bobby Lashley as potential replacements. However, Lashley told Sherdog that he was unprepared to step up on such short notice.

“I don't know if I would want it right now,” said Lashley, who recently signed a deal with pro wrestling promotion Total Nonstop Action, which still allows him to compete in MMA. “Since the last fight, I haven't really been into training again. That fight is next week. That would be something I would really have to take a look at. To just jump in there probably wouldn't be the smartest thing for me right now.”

Additional sources told MMAWeekly.com that while middleweight Belfort had agreed in principle to step up two weight classes to face Emelianenko, he had not yet fully committed to the fight and was weighing his options Tuesday evening. However, the search for a potential replacement for Belfort is also underway.

Representatives for Emelianenko and Affliction did not respond to messages requesting comment.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:02 PM

That wouldn't be a smart move for Lashley. He isn't prepared for a fight that close nor is he likely ready to face Fedor. Seems he thinks this though which is good.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 PM
cubsfan47

I was all set to cough up the money for the PPV. Oh well. There are two UFC events that same month I could choose from instead. Any suggestions?

Oh well I was actually looking forward to this.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:28 PM

This is Barnett's second time, right. Man this is disappointing...
Belfort is a warrior but how can they license a fight at HW for a guy all prepped to fight at middleweight. It's jsut as bad for Fedor as he is prepared for a specific opponent.

Oh TITO!!!!!!!!

[
Old 07-22-2009, 02:50 PM
rearnakedchoke

Lashley should take the fight ... good exposure and he has a miniscule chance of an upset ... a loss to the best HW in the world isn't that bad ...
Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 PM
warriorlion

Default CSAC at it again

AFFLICTION CONFIRMS BARNETT OUT OF FEDOR FIGHT
Wednesday, July 22, 2009 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Affliction vice president Tom Atencio confirmed in an interview with MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday morning that Josh Barnett has been pulled from his main event match-up against Fedor Emelianenko due to an alleged positive test result for a banned substance from the California State Athletic Commission.

At this time, he would not speculate who the replacement fighter to face Emelianenko would be, but said that the promotion is working on it and hopes to announce something soon.

"Josh was denied his license, the renewal of his license, due to testing positive for a banned substance," Atencio said in the interview.

Bill Douglas, Assistant Executive Officer of CSAC, wrote in an email to MMAWeekly.com that a “comprehensive statement” regarding the matter would be released on Wednesday.

With the show just over a week away, rumors are already flying as to who Affliction could bring in to face the No. 1 heavyweight fighter in the world on short notice.

"Right now, it's rumors. I'm working on something and I think anybody that knows me knows I'm not going to say anything until I have something finalized," said Atencio. "At this point everything's rumors. I am working towards finding somebody, but until I have the contracts signed I'm not saying anything."

The fight between Fedor and Barnett was set to be a five-round title fight, but again, Atencio said it's a wait-and-see situation for the replacement fighter if the bout would end up as a championship bout or a three-round non-title affair.

"It's up to whomever steps up and whatever agreement we come to," he commented.

At this point the rumored fighters to step up and face Emelianenko have centered on middleweight fighter Vitor Belfort, and former WWE superstar Bobby Lashley, but the Affliction vice president didn't want to speculate if either could step in to the main event.

Belfort's name seems to be leading the way as to who could step up for the fight with Fedor, and when talking about the currently scheduled match-up between Belfort and American Top Team fighter Jorge Santiago, Atencio said, "It's definitely a fight I'm looking forward to, if anything changes, obviously everybody's going to find out. At this point, it's an amazing fight."

MMAWeekly.com sources on Tuesday night said that Belfort had agreed in principle to step up two weight classes to face Emelianenko, but maintained he had not yet fully committed to the fight and was still weighing his options.

Speaking with Sherdog.com late Tuesday night, Lashley said, “I don't know if I would want it right now... That would be something I would really have to take a look at. To just jump in there probably wouldn't be the smartest thing for me right now.”

One fighter whose name has popped up amidst the speculation is Brett Rogers, although he hasn’t been approached about the fight yet.

"The opportunity to fight Fedor on 10 days (notice) is something that Brett would entertain," his agent, Ken Pavia told MMAWeekly.com. "A lot of stars would have to align, but it is not beyond the realm of possibilities."

Rogers, who has an undefeated 10-0 record, is fresh off a 22-second knockout win over former UFC heavyweight titleholder Andrei Arlovski. Emelianenko is 30-1 and unanimously regarded at the No. 1 ranked heavyweight in the world. He is also coming off a knockout victory of Arlovski.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more information on Barnett's replacement as it becomes available.

(Steven Marrocco and Jeff Cain contributed to this report.)
Old 07-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Max

Its now confirmed

Affliction Entertainment Vice President Tom Atencio confirmed Wednesday to Sherdog.com that Josh Barnett has been pulled from an Aug. 1 matchup against Fedor Emelianenko.

The fight was scheduled to headline Affliction and M-1 Global’s “Trilogy” event at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., but Atencio said that the California State Athletic Commission will not license Barnett because he has tested positive for a banned substance. The CSAC will release a statement Wednesday.

Atencio also said he hopes to secure a replacement Wednesday but would not comment on the new matchup until a deal is signed.

Sherdog.com reported Tuesday that Vitor Belfort has agreed in principle to face Fedor, according to two separate sources close to the negotiations. Bobby Lashley is also being considered, among others, but Tuesday night he denied knowing anything about replacing Barnett.

This sucks. This card is dead now. The only thing that will save it now is if they announce that they will now have Fedor take on everyone on the card, one right after another.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Max

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15592/with...on-trilogy.mma

LAS VEGAS – It's official: Josh Barnett (24-5) has been removed from his "Affliction: Trilogy" main-event bout with Fedor Emelianenko (30-1).

Affliction exec Tom Atencio confirmed the news this morning with AOL FanHouse, citing a positive test for a banned substance that will prevent Barnett from receiving a license to compete on the Aug.1 event in Anaheim, Calif.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since learned from sources close to the negotiations that middleweight Vitor Belfort (18-8) has verbally agreed to the bout, and negotiations are currently in progress to finalize the financial terms of the deal.

Should Belfort's management and Affliction officials agree to terms, an official announcement is expected to be made sometime today.

Xtreme Couture striking coach Shawn Tompkins, who has been training Belfort at the Las Vegas-based camp in preparation for currently scheduled opponent Jorge Santiago (21-7), declined to comment on the status of Belfort's contract. However, Tompkins did tell MMAjunkie.com that both Belfort and the camp considered the potential bout with Emelianenko an intriguing option.

Tompkins also said Belfort is currently walking around at approximately 205 pounds and that he could easily make 210-215 pounds should he commit to a heavyweight contest.

While Bobby Lashley had been mentioned in previous reports as a potential replacements for Barnett, American Top Team exec Dan Lambert told MMAjunkie.com the heavyweight prospect would not be stepping in on short notice.

Lambert also said he was unsure what would happen with fellow American Top Team product Santiago with the potential loss of Belfort as an opponent.

To follow the latest developments with "Affliction: Trilogy," stay tune