Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 07-21-2009, 07:47 PM
StizzoFoShizzo

Default Record setting NCAA QB goes from espys to the CFL

Graham Harrell from the Texas Tech Red raiders has finally arrived in Regina to play for the Roughriders. Harrell holds the record for most touchdown passes by an NCAA QB with 134. Even though he was the first qb to throw for over 5000 yards two seasons in a row, was fourth in the heisman race, and won the Johnny Unitas golden arm award as the top senior qb in college ball, he still went undrafted in the NFL. He attended a Cleveland browns mini camp and entertained offers from the UFL. I'm happy to say he chose the CFL and Rider Pride!! He's now the fifth qb in the riders stable. Although it's highly unusual for a CFL team to have 4 qbs, much less 5, on a Roster, the riders are looking at keeping all of them. Look for Harrell to quickly move up the depth chart to no. 3 by the labour day classic against the bombers. His size and skill might not have been enough for the NFL, but it is well suited for a pass heavy CFL game.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 PM
rearnakedchoke

What is the CFL???

Remember Charlie Ward won the Heisman and then didn't even get drafted in the NFL ... he did go on to play in the NBA and make a few mill though
Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
What is the CFL???

Remember Charlie Ward won the Heisman and then didn't even get drafted in the NFL ... he did go on to play in the NBA and make a few mill though
Canadian football league I imagine.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:13 PM
StizzoFoShizzo

The CFL is a place for all the football players who slip through cracks of the NFL. It's an extra league in Canada, that promotes and loves the sport of gridiron football. It's just another place for so many of these college heroes and junior stars that slip through the cracks of the rigorous NFL scouts. Our league gives them a chance to earn a slightly decent wage for vets and starters. The fans of the CFL appreciate them as if they were NFL stars too. The canadian version of the Super Bowl called the Grey Cup, and it has been hotly contested over for over a 100 years. Many great players made there path through Canada during their storied careers. Warren Moon won 5 straight Grey Cups with the Eskimos before the NFL took real notice of black QBs. Joe Theisman, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia to name a few more. The CFL doesn't have the money or the population that the NFL currently enjoys. The NFL in the past, came to the rescue, and provided a loan to keep the CFL rolling. Thanks to that act of kindness our league is a monster success in Canada.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:15 AM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by StizzoFoShizzo
The CFL is a place for all the football players who slip through cracks of the NFL. It's an extra league in Canada, that promotes and loves the sport of gridiron football. It's just another place for so many of these college heroes and junior stars that slip through the cracks of the rigorous NFL scouts. Our league gives them a chance to earn a slightly decent wage for vets and starters. The fans of the CFL appreciate them as if they were NFL stars too. The canadian version of the Super Bowl called the Grey Cup, and it has been hotly contested over for over a 100 years. Many great players made there path through Canada during their storied careers. Warren Moon won 5 straight Grey Cups with the Eskimos before the NFL took real notice of black QBs. Joe Theisman, Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia to name a few more. The CFL doesn't have the money or the population that the NFL currently enjoys. The NFL in the past, came to the rescue, and provided a loan to keep the CFL rolling. Thanks to that act of kindness our league is a monster success in Canada.
i was kidding ... i am from toronto .. but we want an NFL team, so your explanation was great ....
Old 07-22-2009, 08:50 AM
StizzoFoShizzo

I guess I should have said the CFL is religion everywhere in Canada except for the centre of the universe Toronto lol.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:37 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
I guess I should have said the CFL is religion everywhere in Canada except for the centre of the universe Toronto lol.
thanks for acknowledgement .. lol
Old 07-22-2009, 06:24 PM
StizzoFoShizzo

Ya ya , let's just hope old burkie puts us together a solid hockey team this year, and maybe we'll see some post season hockey in the centre of the universe next year.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:28 PM
matthughesfan21

Quote:
Ya ya , let's just hope old burkie puts us together a solid hockey team this year, and maybe we'll see some post season hockey in the centre of the universe next year.
don't bet on it...the hawks offseason has been crazy? have you heard about hossa being hurt now? we had such a good season, now this offseason has just been madness
Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 AM
StizzoFoShizzo

With all that youth and the season the hawks had last year, it looks like the next few years in the chi are looking up. I never really thought much of Hossa anyways. Players like him are replaceable, that's prob why he's been bouncing teams the last while.