Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Stump Rules!

Default Liddell remains silent while White says he's retired

Sunday, July 19, 2009 - by Jeff Cain - MMAWeekly.com

Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White said leading up to Chuck Liddell's UFC 97 bout with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua that if the former light heavyweight titleholder didn't look impressive, he would urge his longtime friend to retire. White's position hasn't changed.

Rua defeated Liddell by technical knockout late in the first round. It was Liddell's forth loss in his last five fights with three being by way of knockout.

During UFC 100 event weekend, White maintained, "Chuck Liddell is retired."

Liddell has yet to make an official statement addressing whether he plans to retire or continue fighting.

"Chuck's in a very weird political situation right now with a lot of different people. Chuck is such a good guy and such a loyal friend and an amazing person that he doesn't say no to anybody," White explained. "I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but I'm sure enough people around him still need to make some money."

Liddell was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame on July 10, and White said, looking back on his career, "We were putting together this montage for his Hall of Fame thing. We were sitting there watching all these things. And you guys know, how much fun were the Chuck Liddell fights when he came out?

"It was almost like the Tyson thing. It's like oh man, this is Mike Tyson, he's gonna knock somebody out," reminisced the UFC president. "It was fun. He had his time. I don't want to see him get hurt."

Liddell's a fighter's fighter. It's always a game of Russian Roulette when he enters the Octagon. No matter what, the fight is most likely going to end in a knockout. He entered the sport when there were no big paydays, no mainstream sponsorship deals and no reality shows. Liddell has always been in it for the fight. The "Iceman" is financially secure. He's reached the pinnacle of the sport. There's nothing left to prove or accomplish, except maybe to himself.

"Chuck's all set. He doesn't need to make any more money. Chuck's made a lot of money. He's become very famous and he's got lots of stuff going on. He'll always be, as long as I'm alive, he'll do just fine," stated White. "He'll always be my guy. He's helped us build this business. He's been a true friend, a true partner, and an amazing champion."

White's opinion is based on friendship and not business, but that's what makes his opinion on the subject intriguing. The mastermind behind the UFC stands to lose revenue by having Liddell call it quits, but his stance is based in concern.

"When a guy starts getting knocked out four or five times in a row... for what? He doesn't need the money. He's already been a world champion. He's already incredibly famous. People love him. What's there left to fight for?" questioned White. "I just don't understand it. I don't get it."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=9189&zoneid=2

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 07-19-2009, 05:02 PM

I think Chuck should be the one to announce his retirement, NOT Dana White!
Old 07-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
AGREED

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 07-19-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Agreed! I think he's more than capable of making this decision.

[
Old 07-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Krupp

Yeah, Chuck should decide, but seriously, make a decision soon, will ya? That's how I feel, at any rate.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Buc Nasty

I thought Chuck said he was going to take a year off and decide?

Personally I think he should retire, no shame in losing to Shogun and better to go out with a fight against a top contender than fighting a can just to go out on a win.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 PM
rearnakedchoke

he is a hall of famer, he can take his time .. i would like to see him back in the cage ... lidell v. coleman .. battle of the hall of famers ... chuck needs a win and coleman is coming off one ... let's do this ...
Old 07-20-2009, 02:14 PM

pffft. Dana owns Chuck, and he will decide when Chuck retires... thats the trend the UFC is going towards anways lol.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Stump Rules!

Affliction would pay him a bazillion dollars for one fight.There is life after Dana White.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 07-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
Sunday, July 19, 2009 - by Jeff Cain - MMAWeekly.com

Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White said leading up to Chuck Liddell's UFC 97 bout with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua that if the former light heavyweight titleholder didn't look impressive, he would urge his longtime friend to retire. White's position hasn't changed.

Rua defeated Liddell by technical knockout late in the first round. It was Liddell's forth loss in his last five fights with three being by way of knockout.

During UFC 100 event weekend, White maintained, "Chuck Liddell is retired."

Liddell has yet to make an official statement addressing whether he plans to retire or continue fighting.

"Chuck's in a very weird political situation right now with a lot of different people. Chuck is such a good guy and such a loyal friend and an amazing person that he doesn't say no to anybody," White explained. "I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but I'm sure enough people around him still need to make some money."

Liddell was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame on July 10, and White said, looking back on his career, "We were putting together this montage for his Hall of Fame thing. We were sitting there watching all these things. And you guys know, how much fun were the Chuck Liddell fights when he came out?

"It was almost like the Tyson thing. It's like oh man, this is Mike Tyson, he's gonna knock somebody out," reminisced the UFC president. "It was fun. He had his time. I don't want to see him get hurt."

Liddell's a fighter's fighter. It's always a game of Russian Roulette when he enters the Octagon. No matter what, the fight is most likely going to end in a knockout. He entered the sport when there were no big paydays, no mainstream sponsorship deals and no reality shows. Liddell has always been in it for the fight. The "Iceman" is financially secure. He's reached the pinnacle of the sport. There's nothing left to prove or accomplish, except maybe to himself.

"Chuck's all set. He doesn't need to make any more money. Chuck's made a lot of money. He's become very famous and he's got lots of stuff going on. He'll always be, as long as I'm alive, he'll do just fine," stated White. "He'll always be my guy. He's helped us build this business. He's been a true friend, a true partner, and an amazing champion."

White's opinion is based on friendship and not business, but that's what makes his opinion on the subject intriguing. The mastermind behind the UFC stands to lose revenue by having Liddell call it quits, but his stance is based in concern.

"When a guy starts getting knocked out four or five times in a row... for what? He doesn't need the money. He's already been a world champion. He's already incredibly famous. People love him. What's there left to fight for?" questioned White. "I just don't understand it. I don't get it."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=9189&zoneid=2
That's just it Dana... Your not a fighter. You will never get it. All you see in the fight game is dollars and that is by your own admission with this statement.

Chuck Liddell is a born fighter.

It's not about the money or the fame it's about stepping into the cage and proving to yourself that you still got it. That you still are who you where born to be.

Dana will never get that.