Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 07-24-2009, 01:25 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
If GSP beats A.Silva there should no longer be any doubt he is number 1.

I think Fedor could be number 1 if he fought more often and was in the ufc.
ok, so if GSP wins, he is number 1 ... but what if he loses by a narrow margin? i mean, in terms of fighting, anderson would be a better fighter, but pound for pound, who would be ranked higher ...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

I think the fact that GSP even has said that he believes Fedor is #1 P4P, says a lot. P4P doesn't exclusively reflect on who they've beaten but also the idea that they CAN beat anyone out there. GSP hasn't fought every WW out there yet, but we assume by granting him top 3 P4P that he could handle anyone. Same with Silva and Fedor. I personally see more WW's that could give GSP trouble, and MW that could give AS trouble than HW's that could give Fedor trouble. Especially since Fedor competes rather light for his division as the HW seem to be getting bigger, faster, stronger.
one advantage that Silva has in this department is that he has fought in 3 weight classes.

we don't mention the cans that Fedor has beaten because what would be the point, He fought studs in RINGS (Arona, Bablu, etc) so he never got the. In this sport both AS and GSP proved that if you don't take an opponent seriously (Chonan and Serra) you will get caught. Fedor fell into near danger against Fujita but recovered and won impressively. My 10 cents
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-24-2009, 01:52 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
I think the fact that GSP even has said that he believes Fedor is #1 P4P, says a lot. P4P doesn't exclusively reflect on who they've beaten but also the idea that they CAN beat anyone out there. GSP hasn't fought every WW out there yet, but we assume by granting him top 3 P4P that he could handle anyone. Same with Silva and Fedor. I personally see more WW's that could give GSP trouble, and MW that could give AS trouble than HW's that could give Fedor trouble. Especially since Fedor competes rather light for his division as the HW seem to be getting bigger, faster, stronger.
one advantage that Silva has in this department is that he has fought in 3 weight classes.

we don't mention the cans that Fedor has beaten because what would be the point, He fought studs in RINGS (Arona, Bablu, etc) so he never got the. In this sport both AS and GSP proved that if you don't take an opponent seriously (Chonan and Serra) you will get caught. Fedor fell into near danger against Fujita but recovered and won impressively. My 10 cents
don't forget the Randleplex ... that woulda snapped any mear mortals entire bone structure ... yet fedor dusted it off like a pesky fly ... i honestly think fedor could give chuck norris a run for his money ...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-24-2009, 03:39 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty
Fedor has also beaten guys with huge size and reach advantages. Not great fighters, but its another type of problem we've seen him solve. GSP has not done enough to be considered better than Fedor IMO, not by a longshot.
Exactly.

When GSP beats some strikers, some LHW's, etc.. Then we will talk p4p king
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-24-2009, 03:41 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
If GSP beats A.Silva there should no longer be any doubt he is number 1.

I think Fedor could be number 1 if he fought more often and was in the ufc.
Other than Brock I don't see a single fight in the UFC that would prove anything.
I don't even think beating Brock will prove anything,
but I know it would prove something to a lot of other people, so its interesting.

But do you really think beating Mir, or somebody like that would prove Fedor the best? Come on...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Other than Brock I don't see a single fight in the UFC that would prove anything.
I don't even think beating Brock will prove anything,
but I know it would prove something to a lot of other people, so its interesting.

But do you really think beating Mir, or somebody like that would prove Fedor the best? Come on...
And who at WW poses a threat to GSP exactly?

Thiago Alves is an animal and GSP put a clinic on him.

You can talk about the range that Fedor has fought but GSP has fought a similiar range.

Fitch(Serious MMA fighter)
Thiago(World class striker)
Kos(world class wrestler)
Hughes(world class wrestler and black belt level submissions, best WW ever)
B.J Penn(WORLD CLASS bjj)


on top of that he is only 28 yrs old.


All time p4p is definately Fedor but right now in the state of the game and Fedor's last 5 opponents compared to GSP's , GSP holds the title right now man.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Crisco
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Exactly.

When GSP beats some strikers, some LHW's, etc.. Then we will talk p4p king

Thiago Alves dude.

He is the best striker at WW.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
ok, so if GSP wins, he is number 1 ... but what if he loses by a narrow margin? i mean, in terms of fighting, anderson would be a better fighter, but pound for pound, who would be ranked higher ...
I think that would depend on how GSP comes into the fight. IMO when someone moves up a weight class for a fight the wins help their case for P4P but the losses dont really hurt. The reason I say that is beause when most people move up they are not putting on muscle to fight at a higher weight class they are just not cutting weight. So when they go into the fight it may look like they weigh as much as their opponent but the truth is they usually are 10 - 15 lbs lighter (the BJ vs GSP fight is an example). Now if GSP decides he wants to add 15 lbs of muscle before the fight (like he is talking about doing) then a loss to Silva would just be a loss IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-24-2009, 04:10 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
And who at WW poses a threat to GSP exactly?

Thiago Alves is an animal and GSP put a clinic on him.

You can talk about the range that Fedor has fought but GSP has fought a similiar range.

Fitch(Serious MMA fighter)
Thiago(World class striker)
Kos(world class wrestler)
Hughes(world class wrestler and black belt level submissions, best WW ever)
B.J Penn(WORLD CLASS bjj)


on top of that he is only 28 yrs old.


All time p4p is definately Fedor but right now in the state of the game and Fedor's last 5 opponents compared to GSP's , GSP holds the title right now man.
GSP's range doesn't even compare, come on.
Fitch = Grappler
KOS = Grappler
Hughes = Grappler
BJ = Grappler and a LW
Thiago = Striker (I wouldn't say world class, he has never won at striking on a world level, competed in K - 1, etc...)

Fedor KO'd two former UFC Champions, one on a five fight win streak against tough guys, in the first round. GSP's last three fights have either gone 25 or 20 minutes. HOW you beat somebody matters.
I just see GSP going to decision against grapplers, no range there.
Also, no size advantages either, Fedor fighting at HW is about the same as if GSP were at LHW. Fedor is a tiny HW, and weighs as much as AS. Gsp on the other hand is usually much larger than his opponents and has the size advantage.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
B.J Penn(WORLD CLASS bjj)
this is true but he also out weighed BJ by 15 lbs. I would like to see how GSP does against a great BJJ guy who he does not have a massive sive adv on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.