Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
People also seem to forget that GSP beat

Sherk(top of his game)
B.J Penn (twice) GSP is the only person on that list to defeat a top 5 p4p MAchida beat B.J but that doesn't count lol
Matt Hughes (Best WW ever)(twice)
koschek Out wrestled one of the best wrestling credentials in the WW division.
Jon Fitch(a fantastic fighter)
Thiago Alves(completely nullified him) He is also still considered #2 in the division.

Both records are impressive. I feel GSP has the better skill set compared to Fedor. Fedor has more punching power and finishes but styles make fights and I think if the same weight GSP's wrestling ability and sub defense would be the deciding factor if they fought.
Since Sherks fight with Hughes he had not fought anyone who was worth anything. Add in the fact that he should have been fighting at LW. I guess that is considered top of his game though.

Why does Machida's win over BJ not count???

Fedor beat Nog when Nog would have been considered top 5 P4P
Old 07-23-2009, 11:33 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
1: He lost to Matt Serra and Matt Hughes and then avenged those losses. Convincingly

2: I'm sorry but some people actually enjoy watching a fighter completely dominate and destroy their opponents at everything including their strengths.

GSP's wrestling is second to no one in MMA. His ability to take down makes his striking awesome because people are afraid to let loose on him.

Fedor is the man there is no questions but I think If Fedor and GSP fought at the same weight and you took both of their skill sets that GSP would come away with the decision.
It doesn't matter if he avenged those losses, he still proved he can be beaten.
Fedor has yet to show weakness. GSP has.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:34 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Absolutely... The WW division is an extremely skilled division an GSP is at the top.... P4P GSP>Fedor
Nope.

GSP doesn't always show up, he mostly does.
Fedor ALWAYS shows up, and has never shown weakness, GSP has.

I don't even know how its arguable, Fedor has faced a much wider variety of opponent,
while GSP has been given opponents (Other than THiago Alves) who IMO have fed into his style.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Nope.

GSP doesn't always show up, he mostly does.
Fedor ALWAYS shows up, and has never shown weakness, GSP has.

I don't even know how its arguable, Fedor has faced a much wider variety of opponent,
while GSP has been given opponents (Other than THiago Alves) who IMO have fed into his style.
Fedor has been given far more opponents then GSP... When is the last time Fedor fought a fighter on his way UP and not on his way down... GSP fought Alves who is clearly on his way up, fought Fitch, clearly on his way up...

Fedor fought 1 time in '07, twice in '06, twice in '05... he's a great fighter no doubt but his myth is greater then his skill IMO.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:31 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Fedor has been given far more opponents then GSP... When is the last time Fedor fought a fighter on his way UP and not on his way down... GSP fought Alves who is clearly on his way up, fought Fitch, clearly on his way up...

Fedor fought 1 time in '07, twice in '06, twice in '05... he's a great fighter no doubt but his myth is greater then his skill IMO.
Myth is greater than skill?
When was the last time GSP fought a champion? Hughes is the only champion / former champion I believe(in his weight class). (I guess Penn was WW champion for a minute, but is by no means a ww)

Fedor has beaten several.
Also, how was AA on his way down? He was on a 5 fight win streak,
against very legitimate opponents.

I think tim sylvia and AA > Fitch and Alves.
ESP if you take into consideration how each fight was won.
GSP was dominate but unable to put either of them in any real trouble.
Fedor shuts people down.

Also, Fedor only has about 10 more fights than GSP.
and GSP gets guys who fit into his style, while Fedor has faced every style of opponent possible, and beaten them all.

My last point is, to me, the p4p king is not the flavor of the week,
and it certainly isn't something you can be over night.
GSP would need to finish some fights in a more impressive fashion,
and fight a wider variety of guys to be considered in my book.

Fedor beats tougher guys, looks better, wins more convincingly, beats a wider variety of opponent, etc....
Old 07-24-2009, 03:59 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Fedor beats tougher guys, looks better, wins more convincingly, beats a wider variety of opponent, etc....
I def agree with this. Fedor has beaten great strikers, great wrestlers, great BJJ guys and guys.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:28 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
I def agree with this. Fedor has beaten great strikers, great wrestlers, great BJJ guys and guys.
And cans..... plenty of cans but nobody ever mentions those...

5 fights in the last 4 years... something like that.... IF we're talking all time P4P... you could have an argument for Fedor being on top.... if you're talking current? I don't think he belongs on the top...
Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Buc Nasty

Fedor has also beaten guys with huge size and reach advantages. Not great fighters, but its another type of problem we've seen him solve. GSP has not done enough to be considered better than Fedor IMO, not by a longshot.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Buc Nasty

If this happens a lot of questions will be answered!

http://mmamania.com/2009/07/23/georg...nderson-silva/
Old 07-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Crisco

If GSP beats A.Silva there should no longer be any doubt he is number 1.

I think Fedor could be number 1 if he fought more often and was in the ufc.