Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-19-2009, 02:19 PM
David_Banner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
http://mmamania.com/2009/07/16/get-d...een-teammates/



I respect loyalty as a virtue; however, as a fan, I think that the fighters should be professionals and fight anyone the UFC puts in front of them. It is a real issue in the welterweight division with Swick, Koscheck and Fitch being from the same team. I think most people would rank those 3 fighters in the top 10 of the UFC welterweight division. I would also love to see an Anderson Silva vs. Machida match-up; I don't care about an Evans vs. Jardine fight, to be honest.

I honestly think if it came down to the UFC losing Rashad Evans because he wouldnt fight Jardine vs avoiding that fight, the UFC would avoid that fight. Some dudes just arent going to fight their friends, and in relation to those guys that have big names, the UFC really wouldnt want to lose those guys. The lesser knowns that don't have any leverage will be stuck though.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner
I honestly think if it came down to the UFC losing Rashad Evans because he wouldnt fight Jardine vs avoiding that fight, the UFC would avoid that fight. Some dudes just arent going to fight their friends, and in relation to those guys that have big names, the UFC really wouldnt want to lose those guys. The lesser knowns that don't have any leverage will be stuck though.

You are probably correct.
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Krupp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner
Wrestling a friend and beating a friends face into hamburger are not the same thing, sorry.
Maybe you're right, but at the same time, what's the difference between sparring with a friend in practice and then doing it in a real match? I'm just saying man, it shouldn't be a big deal to these guys. They had to know eventually if they all did well in the UFC there was a chance down the line where they'd have to fight each other. They knew what they were getting into.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-20-2009, 02:01 AM
StizzoFoShizzo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Fighting is not a team sopr. You may train together in the same place, but if you want to get paid to fight and move up the ladder, it shouldn't matter who's inyour way. How many fighters say it's their dream to be champions? So they're gonna throw that away cause they gotta fight a person they train with?the only reason I would be hesitant to fight a training partner would be because he'd know all my weaknesses. But it's the same the other way around. As a fan I just want to see the best fighter fight each other to get to the top of their division, even if that road goes through a Freind/trining partner. If I was a WW champ and one of my training partners beat everyone else to earn number one contender, I would expect him to want the title shot he deserves, not wait around for someone else to beat me before he gets that shot. These guys are in the UFC because they are the best, and want to beat the best. IMO mma is not a team sport. Some people see it differently I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner
Wrestling a friend and beating a friends face into hamburger are not the same thing, sorry.
There is something really wrong with me tonight
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner
I honestly think if it came down to the UFC losing Rashad Evans because he wouldnt fight Jardine vs avoiding that fight, the UFC would avoid that fight. Some dudes just arent going to fight their friends, and in relation to those guys that have big names, the UFC really wouldnt want to lose those guys. The lesser knowns that don't have any leverage will be stuck though.
I think the UFC would just kick out Jardine if that had to kick out one. The thing is the UFC ha proven that they are bigger than the fighters and if push comes to shove they will just kick fighters out.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-21-2009, 05:50 AM
David_Banner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp
Maybe you're right, but at the same time, what's the difference between sparring with a friend in practice and then doing it in a real match? I'm just saying man, it shouldn't be a big deal to these guys. They had to know eventually if they all did well in the UFC there was a chance down the line where they'd have to fight each other. They knew what they were getting into.

Thats true, it shouldnt, but like me, I just don't have it in me to go at a good friend. Some guys are just real competitive and would run over their own mother for a fight and or money, but some people, like I think Rashad is, wouldnt be able to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 AM
David_Banner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StizzoFoShizzo
Fighting is not a team sopr. You may train together in the same place, but if you want to get paid to fight and move up the ladder, it shouldn't matter who's inyour way. How many fighters say it's their dream to be champions? So they're gonna throw that away cause they gotta fight a person they train with?the only reason I would be hesitant to fight a training partner would be because he'd know all my weaknesses. But it's the same the other way around. As a fan I just want to see the best fighter fight each other to get to the top of their division, even if that road goes through a Freind/trining partner. If I was a WW champ and one of my training partners beat everyone else to earn number one contender, I would expect him to want the title shot he deserves, not wait around for someone else to beat me before he gets that shot. These guys are in the UFC because they are the best, and want to beat the best. IMO mma is not a team sport. Some people see it differently I guess.

I understand your point, but some people just arent capable of fighting somebody they care about. Its def a hard road, and as we've all seen in life and in the fight game, some people will dump a friendship in a heartbeat for a chance at something they really want. Some people only have loyalty to their family and or themselves, where as I think some fighters families tend to also include the guys they train with. Those are the guys that will have a painful time with this, others can/will care less.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-21-2009, 06:08 AM
David_Banner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
I think the UFC would just kick out Jardine if that had to kick out one. The thing is the UFC ha proven that they are bigger than the fighters and if push comes to shove they will just kick fighters out.
Sure, but the UFC has also shown time and time again they don't like letting go of the big name fighters. They will cut a lot of dudes but its most always guys they are curtain have nothing to offer, never the muscle of the Org.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.