Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 07-17-2009, 09:18 PM

Default Debate: Is Mormonism/LDS a Christian denomination?

This is a new thread starter for a discussion that has been ongoing in other threads. I posted this thread so that the other threads can go on with their initial topics.

Suggested questions/topics for debate/discussion:

Is the LDS church a Christian church?

Was Joseph Smith a true prophet of God?

Is the "Book of Mormon" scripture?

Please refrain from ad hominem appeals against your forum opponents. As Joseph Smith claimed to be a prophet of God, his actions and claims are open to discussion.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
eric84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
This is a new thread starter for a discussion that has been ongoing in other threads. I posted this thread so that the other threads can go on with their initial topics.

Please refrain from ad hominem appeals against your forum opponents. As Joseph Smith claimed to be a prophet of God, his actions and claims are open to discussion.
1 -Yes

2 - Yes

3 - Yes

Ready for the debate now.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Old 07-17-2009, 09:31 PM
SupaDupaMod

Default From other thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84
How do you know that is correct in the first place? It goes back to that I don't believe the Bible is 100%. The original speakers were 100%, but the bible was we have today isn't.
Interesting.

I haven't read the rest of this thread so forgive me if this has already been answered? Which parts of the bible do you believe? And how did you decide?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Rev

How do you know that the Bible isnt 100%?

Mark 13:5-8

5. And Jesus began to say to them, “See to it that no one misleads you.
6. “Many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He!’ and will mislead many.
7. “When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be frightened; those things must take place; but that is not yet the end. 8. “For nation will rise up against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be earthquakes in various places; there will also be famines. These things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.

Jeremiah 17:9

“The heart is more deceitful than all else
And is desperately sick;
Who can understand it?

I am not trying to start a fight I am just doing my job.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 PM
eric84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
Interesting.

I haven't read the rest of this thread so forgive me if this has already been answered? Which parts of the bible do you believe? And how did you decide?
This is based off of 2 things, and before you automatically call me a heretic , just think about it.
- If the Bible is not 100%
- If there is a Prophet alive today who God communicates with and you believe that Prophet is a true Prophet.

Now lets say those were true(which I believe), and the Prophet said certain parts were changed in translation or just overtime the meanings were changed, and God instructed him what the original teachings were, or what he meant by it. If you truly believed he was a Prophet, wouldn't you follow his counsel? Of course you need to know for sure that the man is a true Prophet. Is it a bold claim to be a Prophet, of course, and there are many false Prophets, but if there is a true Prophet, it's best to listen to his counsel.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man

1. Yes, somewhat. At least they believe in Jesus Christ and that he was our savior.

2. No, he was a teenager who was tarred and feathered for his talks. He was also kicked out of New York, Ohio, Illinois, and Missouri. The original book of Mormon was lost, then he couldn't retranslate it again saying that God was angry with him for losing the original scripture and could no longer translate from the plate of Nehi, but now had to use the plate of Nephi. How f'ing dumb is that?

3. Absolutely not! If you're going to make claims and say that Adam and Eve were expelled from the original garden of Eden to Adam-ondi-Ahman in Daviess County Missouri (just 20 miles south of here on Highway 13 - I'm in Bethany, Missouri right now) and that Native Americans were originally white, then you'd better be able to back it up. Joseph Smith wrote a book with a bunch of made up stories and when the original was lost, he couldn't come up with the same stories again. They also believe Adam-ondi-Ahman is where Jesus Christ will make his second coming. I really don't believe he wants to come to this area, it really sucks here.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 PM
SupaDupaMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84
This is based off of 2 things, and before you automatically call me a heretic , just think about it.
- If the Bible is not 100%
- If there is a Prophet alive today who God communicates with and you believe that Prophet is a true Prophet.

Now lets say those were true(which I believe), and the Prophet said certain parts were changed in translation or just overtime the meanings were changed, and God instructed him what the original teachings were, or what he meant by it. If you truly believed he was a Prophet, wouldn't you follow his counsel? Of course you need to know for sure that the man is a true Prophet. Is it a bold claim to be a Prophet, of course, and there are many false Prophets, but if there is a true Prophet, it's best to listen to his counsel.
So, this prophet tells you which parts of the bible is correct?

Okay, fair enough.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Rev

Kind of nice to be able to pick whatever parts of scripture you are gonna listen to.

I say we get rid of the whole sin thing so we can all do what we want. Just Picking.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 PM
eric84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
1. Yes, somewhat. At least they believe in Jesus Christ and that he was our savior.

2. No, he was a teenager who was tarred and feathered for his talks. He was also kicked out of New York, Ohio, Illinois, and Missouri. The original book of Mormon was lost, then he couldn't retranslate it again saying that God was angry with him for losing the original scripture and could no longer translate from the plate of Nehi, but now had to use the plate of Nephi. How f'ing dumb is that?

3. Absolutely not! If you're going to make claims and say that Adam and Eve were expelled from the original garden of Eden to Adam-ondi-Ahman in Daviess County Missouri (just 20 miles south of here on Highway 13 - I'm in Bethany, Missouri right now) and that Native Americans were originally white, then you'd better be able to back it up. Joseph Smith wrote a book with a bunch of made up stories and when the original was lost, he couldn't come up with the same stories again. They also believe Adam-ondi-Ahman is where Jesus Christ will make his second coming. I really don't believe he wants to come to this area, it really sucks here.
I'm still laughing at your last comment....haha. But anyways, down to business.

2 - I don't think being tarred and feathered, or being kicked out discredits him at all. Was not Jesus Crucified? Was not many of the Prophets stoned? Many things were made up about them to the people, yet they were still true. Certain manuscripts were stolen because Joseph disobeyed God and let someone take them to show to other people. God informed Joseph that the men would use it to their advantage by changing the script, and when he published the new one, they would say he made it all up because they would be different. Makes sense to me.

3 - How do we know that isn't the place adam and eve went? The white should be taken in context with the color of the skin. I might say I'm white compared to a very dark skinned person, yet I could also say someone else is white compared to me. Jesus Christ will show himself at the second coming over in Jerusalem, but do you honestly think that is the ONLY place he will go? Even if it sucks as bad as you say, I'm sure Jesus won't mind