Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-03-2009, 09:40 PM
TDPARKASH

Default Welterweight Tournament

I think after all these alleged allegations regarding greasing, steroids in the past, Dana should spin this into a WW tournament (like he did with the HW's)

If it can't be proved one way or the other, GSP should man up and do a WW tournamnet over the next year to see who the real WW king is. Maybe the top 8 guys in the division could go at it over the course of the year. The winner of that tournament, without a shadow of a doubt will determine who is the undoubtabely the king of the division (maybe even a trophy and some extra cash)

I actually think it could make a lot of money, and don't see GSP shying away from it. Even NSAC could do all the touch ups in between rounds.

If anything, I want to see how most of WW's would fair in a tournament style and if they would do any better against GSP under tournament settings.

Maybe after this tournament, there would be no more debate.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 PM
warriorlion

people are always going to debate it, just like they will always debate the sean sherk thing.

End of story is that only GSP knows if he was intentionally trying to gain an advantage of if his coaches were trying, or if in fact it was a misjudgement by his cornerman.

Either way I dont thin it changed the result, but it does look bad for the sport in the same way that sherk innocent or not did.

you throw enough crap and eventually it will stick and this seems to be the thing that will stick to GSP, shame though, I really enjoyed watching BJ get creamed
Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 PM
billythekid2000

Doesn't even matter now if he is guilty or not. Too much doubt has been cast. He is guilty in most people's eyes. I feel sorry for whoever has to fight him next and after that. He's gonna be mad!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:08 AM
MMeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid2000
Doesn't even matter now if he is guilty or not. Too much doubt has been cast. He is guilty in most people's eyes. I feel sorry for whoever has to fight him next and after that. He's gonna be mad!
It's not a good thing for the sport, that's for sure. I'm with Matt's post on this - he probably is slick, it probably has a lot to do with the vaseline/sweat mix (like people were saying in the big thread, stuff on your face will transfer to other spots in a clinch/grapple), but (key point) it didn't change the outcome of the fights. If somebody who has fought GSP three times doesn't see it as a game changer, I'm willing to go with that. Still think it was an honest mistake as far as the actions of the corner in the BJ fight. Definitely a downer that what was billed as a huge night for MMA is going to be remembered at least in part for this. Funny - only when the BJ hoard gets on something does it take on a life of its own, because we should all know BJ doesn't lose without somebody/something else being at fault I hope crybaby retires, his act is tired.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Josh

What GSP should do from every fight on is ask the ref to dry him off between rounds. He would still kill all the other WWs and he could restore some credibility.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid2000
well, when 3 ex champions (Hughes, Penn and Serra) have all said you were greasy and the athletic commission actually caught you being greased,
it is a little hard to blame it on "accident".

If this were going to a jury trial GSP would be convicted.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Matt-4; GJJ Black Belts-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorlion
people are always going to debate it, just like they will always debate the sean sherk thing.

End of story is that only GSP knows if he was intentionally trying to gain an advantage of if his coaches were trying, or if in fact it was a misjudgement by his cornerman.

Either way I dont thin it changed the result, but it does look bad for the sport in the same way that sherk innocent or not did.

you throw enough crap and eventually it will stick and this seems to be the thing that will stick to GSP, shame though, I really enjoyed watching BJ get creamed

Well said!
Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 AM
logrus

To much doubt? I don't see any doubt when you watch the guy rub vas on his face and then rub GSP down, and I didn't see any care or worry about this happening from GSP either.

Sherk was different, he atleast had a boat load of stuff to back up his claim. Gsp has none.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 AM
ufcfan2

I think also you have to give some weight to what BJ said it did'nt change the outcome of the fight. Though if nothing happens to GSP and I'm not saying something should some rules and regulations needs to be changed in between rounds.
I don't think anyone but fighter/cutman/doctor/ref should be allowed inside cage at any given time. Cornerman can bark orders thru the cage,doc can come in see if any cuts if not then leave. If a cut look at it,and let cutman vasoline it up.
Far as tourney? No real reason too don't think this calls for it unless he gets stripped of title..Which I seriously doubt and I don't think Dana's gonna strip it from him.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
well, when 3 ex champions (Hughes, Penn and Serra) have all said you were greasy and the athletic commission actually caught you being greased,
it is a little hard to blame it on "accident".

If this were going to a jury trial GSP would be convicted.
not if he had OJ's original defense team.