Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
Default Swick vs. Kampmann winner gets title shot

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15512/ufc-...er-for-gsp.mma

Quote:
A UFC 103 welterweight bout between veterans Martin Kampmann (15-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and Mike Swick (14-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) will, in fact, determine a No. 1 contender to challenge for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre's championship belt.

During this past Saturday's, July 11, UFC 100 pay-per-view event, broadcaster Joe Rogan said he was informed by UFC Vice President of Fighter Relations Joe Silva that the Sept. 19 fight could be a No. 1 contender's bout.

Sources close to the fight have since confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the winner will be assured a title shot.

The date for that title shot has not been determined, though. St-Pierre defeated clear No. 1 contender Thiago Alves via unanimous decision at UFC 100 and injured his groin during the matchup. Unless cleared by a doctor, he's medically suspended until January. And even if cleared, St-Pierre hinted during the UFC 100 post-fight presser that he might take some time off from competition to recover from the injury and a busy schedule.
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

GSP will take either one down at will since he won't stand with them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

niether of these guys are ready ... kinda stupid if you ask me ... but GSP will dispose of them quite easy ...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

SO Alves got the #1 contender status by beating Matt...and Matt hasn't lost since. in FACT he just beat the guy GSP won his title from......damn MMA math is shyte!
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Straight Right
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I like Kampmann to win against Swick, though I'm not sure if either is really ready for a title shot yet, but who else in the division (besides Matt) is deserving?

Fitch still needs another fight or two before he gets a rematch, Koscheck isn't back at the front of the line.

Hazlett, Parysian, Johnson, Condit, Larson, Hardy, Lytle? Am I missing someone?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
SO Alves got the #1 contender status by beating Matt...and Matt hasn't lost since. in FACT he just beat the guy GSP won his title from......damn MMA math is shyte!
What are you talking about?? Kampmann has won 6 of 7 and Swick has won 9 of 10. Kampmann has won 2 in a row at WW and Swick has won 4 in a row. This has nothing to do with MMA math, the winner of this fight should get a title shot.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
What are you talking about?? Kampmann has won 6 of 7 and Swick has won 9 of 10. Kampmann has won 2 in a row at WW and Swick has won 4 in a row. This has nothing to do with MMA math, the winner of this fight should get a title shot.

oh, well if you say so then...
I see your point
It has as much to do with who you lost to as to who you've beaten and Matt fought #1 and #2 under unusual circumstances. the 9x champ who's only lost to two people in the division should either get a contender match against Alves or a shot at GSP. GSP vs Hughes IV will still sell no matter what. Hughes vs Alves as a revenge fight will sell too.
Let's see how Swick and Kampman look and go from there...
Who else should Matt fight? Fitch?
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
oh, well if you say so then...
I see your point
It has as much to do with who you lost to as to who you've beaten and Matt fought #1 and #2 under unusual circumstances. the 9x champ who's only lost to two people in the division should either get a contender match against Alves or a shot at GSP. GSP vs Hughes IV will still sell no matter what. Hughes vs Alves as a revenge fight will sell too.
Let's see how Swick and Kampman look and go from there...
Who else should Matt fight? Fitch?
I would love to see Matt get another title shot but the fact is he has lost 3 out of his last 5 fights. Sure they were to the #1 and #2 fighters at WW but they were still losses. A loss Should never move someone closer to a title shot. I say give Matt a fight against Dan Hardy (3 - 0 in the UFC and has won 6 in a row) and then after that have Matt and Fitch fight for a title shot. You have to remember that it is not very often that we see two fighters fight 4 times. Companies usually dont like to do it so for it to happen there has to be a good reason.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
I would love to see Matt get another title shot but the fact is he has lost 3 out of his last 5 fights. Sure they were to the #1 and #2 fighters at WW but they were still losses. A loss Should never move someone closer to a title shot. I say give Matt a fight against Dan Hardy (3 - 0 in the UFC and has won 6 in a row) and then after that have Matt and Fitch fight for a title shot. You have to remember that it is not very often that we see two fighters fight 4 times. Companies usually dont like to do it so for it to happen there has to be a good reason.
Good points. I understand the reasoning. Hopefully Matt's legendary status and ability to pack an arena will outweigh one of those needed fights. Who knows when GSP will be ready to fight again anyways.
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Good points. I understand the reasoning. Hopefully Matt's legendary status and ability to pack an arena will outweigh one of those needed fights. Who knows when GSP will be ready to fight again anyways.
I dont want his status or ability to pack an arena to outweigh one of those fights. When Matt gets his title shot I dont want it to be because he is Matt Hughes I want it to be because he has beat the other top contenders. I want people to say Matt earned a title shot and not Matt was given a title shot.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.