Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Rev

The Klitchko boys should have brought it back into greatness, but they arent willing to be the loud mouths they need to be to boost themselves. Boxing has fallen far where it was even 10 years ago, while mma has come waaay up from where it was 10 years ago. I hope the two can both co-exist but I dont think it will be long before we see mma overtake boxing in every way.(maybe another 10-13 years)
Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Miss Foxy

Boxing will never die. Once morons get it that you can be a boxing fan and an mma fan our world will be much better ... On a serious note though I love boxing..baby!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Rev

Been boxing since I was 13 and I am 28 now, love the science, hate the promoters. MMA is a more complete fighting sport and cant be compared to boxing because of the rule differences. If had had to choose one or the other, WAR MMA!!!!! But I dont........yet.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Been boxing since I was 13 and I am 28 now, love the science, hate the promoters. MMA is a more complete fighting sport and cant be compared to boxing because of the rule differences. If had had to choose one or the other, WAR MMA!!!!! But I dont........yet.
Why can't you compare them? They are both combat sports competing for the same demographics....

I think it's a good comparison...
Old 07-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Rev

Because of the rules. I'm not saying that boxing is better or you have to be more skilled to box, in fact I feel that you have to be more skilled to do mma. But the rules make it 2 different sports, fencing is a combat sport, can you compare it to wrestling? Apples and Oranges, both fruit but different fruit.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Because of the rules. I'm not saying that boxing is better or you have to be more skilled to box, in fact I feel that you have to be more skilled to do mma. But the rules make it 2 different sports, fencing is a combat sport, can you compare it to wrestling? Apples and Oranges, both fruit but different fruit.
I don't know Rev.. I think fencing to wrestling is more like Apples to Wiffle Ball Bat personally...

It's obviously 2 different sports with different rules granted... but they are both combat STRIKING sports (better?) who compete for the same demographic.

I don't think the same people who watch fencing would be drawn away from that sport to watch wrestling...

Boxing, Kickboxing, Judo, MMA etc... all belong in the same category IMO and would directly compete for the same audience... and in that competition... MMA has passed them all and at least in the near future continues to distance themselves.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Rev

If you are talking about the audience then yes, they can be compared. I am talking about the sports themselves, but yes as far as people wanting combat sports, mma and boxing would draw alot of the same crowd.