Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R
I'm saying he should change his attitude towards the aforementioned items in my last post. AND I hate my new sig !
well he's not gonna change, it's who he is by all accounts. besides, he only flipped off the fans because they've booed him from day 1. he talked trash to Herring and Mir because they trashed him. he was cool with Couture because he was cool with him. as for the sport, well he works as hard as anyone and fights top comp, that's all that can be asked.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
well he's not gonna change, it's who he is by all accounts. besides, he only flipped off the fans because they've booed him from day 1. he talked trash to Herring and Mir because they trashed him. he was cool with Couture because he was cool with him. as for the sport, well he works as hard as anyone and fights top comp, that's all that can be asked.
Top comp?

Really? You think so?

I'm not taking anything away from Brock regarding his competition... he's not in charge of who he fights but do you really consider his opponents so far top comp?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Top comp?

Really? You think so?

I'm not taking anything away from Brock regarding his competition... he's not in charge of who he fights but do you really consider his opponents so far top comp?
he fought top UFC comp. Mir, Herring to a lesser degree and Couture were tough opponents.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
he fought top UFC comp. Mir, Herring to a lesser degree and Couture were tough opponents.
I gothca....

For me nothing Brock has done yet impresses me.... he's just a low skill, one dimensional fighter...not the sharpest Crayon in the box for sure...

He has all the pieces he needs to be amazing... I just don't see it yet..

Herring is a gatekeeper and BL couldn't finish him....
Randy is a stud granted but he's old, past his prime and IMO was winning that fight until he got clipped..

Mir... top comp? Maybe... but in a weak HW division in the UFC....

My thoughts anyway....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:31 AM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I gothca....

For me nothing Brock has done yet impresses me.... he's just a low skill, one dimensional fighter...not the sharpest Crayon in the box for sure...

He has all the pieces he needs to be amazing... I just don't see it yet..

Herring is a gatekeeper and BL couldn't finish him....
Randy is a stud granted but he's old, past his prime and IMO was winning that fight until he got clipped..

Mir... top comp? Maybe... but in a weak HW division in the UFC....

My thoughts anyway....
Brock's comp so far has been very good.
Herring is not the best HW in the world but he is a solid fighter who holds wins over Kongo, Vovchanchyn and Tanner.
Randy is Randy and we have no idea if he is over the hill untill after his next fight
and Mir is the only person to ever stop Big Nog.

Over all those are 3 great opponents for someone with only 5 fights.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Hughes_GOAT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Herring's a tough dude, hard to finish. alot of guys don't finish fights, but they still dominated their opp. it was Lesnar's 3rd fight. GSP didn't finish guys early on like Karo and Miller either but still dominated. Randy is old but still was HW champ beating Sylvia and Gonzaga, so he wasn't completely over the hill. Mir is top 10-12 HW. UFC has a weak HW div but who should Lesnar have fought in his first 4 UFC fights? Mir and Randy were former and current champs at the time Lesnar fought them.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 AM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
Herring's a tough dude, hard to finish. alot of guys don't finish fights, but they still dominated their opp. it was Lesnar's 3rd fight. GSP didn't finish guys early on like Karo and Miller either but still dominated. Randy is old but still was HW champ beating Sylvia and Gonzaga, so he wasn't completely over the hill. Mir is top 10-12 HW. UFC has a weak HW div but who should Lesnar have fought in his first 4 UFC fights? Mir and Randy were former and current champs at the time Lesnar fought them.
If I remember correctly, Herring fought for the first ever PRIDE HW title. So thats 2 former UFC champs and 1 PRIDE HW contender.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Personally I don't think Brock made himself a Villain! He just accepted the role pushed on him by a bunch of Folk's who THINK they are MMA purist! To me its a case of Brock over reacting when provoked vs some fighters who just act out without being provoked!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-15-2009, 07:29 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

There are only two things that could be better than Lesnar being the "heel" in the UFC right now....

1. Dana White hitting Brock Lesnar over the head with a steel chair after his next victory, right when he is supposed to wrap the belt around him. Then Hulk Hogan comes out and gives Brock the big leg-drop, and parades around the cage with Brock's belt...

or...

2. Brock dominates all the competition and makes the haters respect him.


I am personally pulling for the first option, but I really think number two is the way to go....

Last edited by J.B.; 07-15-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-15-2009, 02:23 PM
clm12704
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I thought that was an insightful article and made a good point, but it doesn't draw a parallel to what I and other Brock detractors have a problem with; his character. I'm not saying it will damage the growth of the sport (which is the point of the entire article). I'm saying I don't like the dude and I think he is the epitome of every bad thing in sports. The examples he used (Tito, Rampage, Tyson) are all comparable in a way, but what does that matter? Tyson didn't start doing things like he cited until the end of his career. When he was at the height of his popularity and undefeated champ, he didn't do/say any of those things. I never liked Tito, and now Rampage has completely turned me off to the point that I want Rashaad to win that fight (did I just say that???).

I stand by my opinion on Brock.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.