Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Buc Nasty

Well Widnes, kinda closer to the scousers than the mancs but who cares, it is still ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorlion
nowhere near london
Old 07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker
Nice to see Hendo "try" to shut him up... but not gonna happen...

But since "the English" are part of the discussion.. here is something I have been wondering about for a good while..

Why would a MMA gym... in/near LONDON... call themselves The Wolf's Lair???

In the 40s... see.. there was this guy.. see... and well.. he wasn't very nice... you see he bombed the hell out of this place called London see..... and that bad guy... that ran a country .. his "home away from home"... was the Wolf's Lair...

Just seems odd to me...
I've always thought the name was distasteful but I dont think the people who named it were history buffs. Also I think Wolfslair gym might be part of a chain. The gym that holds Bisping is about half an hour south of Liverpool. One of the most southerly of the Northern Cities, so its not that close to London.

Wolfslair wasnt Hitlers Retreat. His retreat was somewhere in south Germany in the mountains. The Wolfslair was a Military complex on the Eastern Front of Prussia, sorta not to far from the Russians. It was the place that the infamous assasination attempt by his own Military Commanders took place.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 PM
warriorlion

General staffenburg, the subject of the new tom cruise film valkyrie. Te retreat was a place called the eagles nest, its where Hitler ended up killing himself I believe
Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Crisco

Quote:
General staffenburg, the subject of the new tom cruise film valkyrie. Te retreat was a place called the eagles nest, its where Hitler ended up killing himself I believe
No hitler killed himself in an underground bunker in Berlin I believe.

The eagles nest was taken by easy company featured in the show band of brothers.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
No hitler killed himself in an underground bunker in Berlin I believe.

The eagles nest was taken by easy company featured in the show band of brothers.
and the book...

[
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 PM
TENNESSEAN

best movie of all time. indisputable
Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEAN
best movie of all time. indisputable
Never saw it......
Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
and the book...
I figured a tv show would reach everyone better then a book -P

The book was excellent too though.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
No Hitler died in Berlin. (unless the bunker system in Berlin was Eagles Nest...which it could well have been...I cant remember

I cant remember the proper name of his alpine retreat. It was a little sorta villa in the middle of the mountains...I'm not even sure it was in Germany..I'm also not sure he went there after war broke out...dont forget he was in governmental office for a bit, taking power slowly, before he finally clinched power

Forget Staffenburg...the true genius in that plott was Ludwig Beck. He was one of the best Military Commanders of the second world war...yes he was on the Germanic Side...but not really by choice. If Hitler had listened to him, Germany would have won...well..they would have been more passive aggressive...they might have won without a world war altogether
Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 AM
warriorlion

the alpine retreat was in germany and it was caled the eagles nest, I did some research after I posted and c riscos right it was not where hitler killed himself. It was however the place that Easy company took control of.