Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-12-2009, 08:56 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
As a champion, Matt Hughes has 11 victories. 2 of those were for the title (Newton, GSP), 7 were title defenses (Sakurai, Newton, Castillo, Sherk, Trigg x2, Penn), 1 was a catchweight fight (Gracie) and the 1 his opponent didn't make weight for (Riggs).

Of those 11 victories as the Welterweight Champion, how many went to a decision? Only one, his fight against Sean Sherk.

So, you'll excuse me if I'm a little bit spoiled by that and actually expect UFC champions to fight to win, not just fight not to lose.

I seem to recall Tim Sylvia putting on similar performances against Andrei Arlovski and Jeff Monson and everybody hated him for it. However, with GSP it's somehow forgiven.
you can't compare tim's decisions to GSP ... GSP wrecked Fitch for 5 rounds, BJ for 4, Serra for 2 or 3 can't remember, Thiago for 5 ... it's not like he pulled a lay and pray ... he demolished them ... after the monson fight, AA fight and even anderson's last two fights, both fighters came out of that looking like neither had been in a fight ... had that been the case with GSP's fights, i am sure there would be more for your case .. but fitch, BJ, serra and thiago looked like they were in a car crash ... if they were all wins like the GSP over Kos, well then i would be with you ...
Old 07-12-2009, 08:59 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan
GSP looked GREAT the entire fight. Now lets see what happens when he has the time to gain weight and then take on A.Silva....After that, he should have his next title defense in the bag, either Kampman or Swick.
GSP is smarter then a lot of people give him credit for,
he wont fight AS until after he is done fighting as a WW because he knows to have any chance to win he will have to bulk up and thats something you need to take your time at to do it properly so by the time he is ready for that to happen i doubt Anderson is still fighting in the UFC so i really dont ever see that fight happening.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Liddellfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
how much time should they give him to gain weight?

Not sure how much time he needs. After the fight he said timing would have to be right, he would need time to gain weight and get prepared.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
GSP is smarter then a lot of people give him credit for,
he wont fight AS until after he is done fighting as a WW because he knows to have any chance to win he will have to bulk up and thats something you need to take your time at to do it properly so by the time he is ready for that to happen i doubt Anderson is still fighting in the UFC so i really dont ever see that fight happening.
why not just move up and fight at a higher weight like Hendo, BJ and Anderson do. Those three dont need a year to bulk up, they just use their skills.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
you seem to over look the fact that the fighters are much better now then in years past and its much more difficult to finish a fight these days,
and if your argument truly is that GSP is such a bad fighter then how come only 2 people have ever finished him ?
First off, saying that fighters today are much better than in the past is opinion, not fact. Sure there will be a natural progression as fighters begin training earlier and earlier in life, but many of the older fighters haven't been doing so well recently because of their age, not because of their lack of skill.

I never claimed that GSP was a bad fighter. He's a great fighter. However, claiming that he's the greatest ever is a little premature at this point. That's all I'm saying.
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
after the monson fight, AA fight and even anderson's last two fights, both fighters came out of that looking like neither had been in a fight ...
Here is a pic of Monson during his fight with Tim

I can see how you could say he was not in a fight at all. He looks so fresh, almost like he was not punched at all
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
why not just move up and fight at a higher weight like Hendo, BJ and Anderson do. Those three dont need a year to bulk up, they just use their skills.
you saw what happened when BJ moved up a weight class and just used his skill didn't you ?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Liddellfan

GSP did say he walks around at about 185, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for him to move up a weight class and test his skills against bigger guys. He usually is the bigger, stronger guy in his fights, going to 185 would change that. Maybe he's afraid???
Old 07-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
you can't compare tim's decisions to GSP ... GSP wrecked Fitch for 5 rounds, BJ for 4, Serra for 2 or 3 can't remember, Thiago for 5 ... it's not like he pulled a lay and pray ... he demolished them ... after the monson fight, AA fight and even anderson's last two fights, both fighters came out of that looking like neither had been in a fight ... had that been the case with GSP's fights, i am sure there would be more for your case .. but fitch, BJ, serra and thiago looked like they were in a car crash ... if they were all wins like the GSP over Kos, well then i would be with you ...
I'm not talking about fights he's finished, I'm talking about fights that went to a decision. If he "wrecked" Alves and Fitch, then why couldn't he finish the fight?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:10 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
you saw what happened when BJ moved up a weight class and just used his skill didn't you ?
BJ had 8 months ... i can't see GSP needing more time ... plus they say GSP walks around 185 - 190 ... what does BJ walk around at? or should i say roll around at?