Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Tyburn's Avatar
Tyburn Tyburn is offline
Angry @ Injustice!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 16,985
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
i guess if finishing half of his last 6 fights is struggling, then GSP is struggling big time ....
GSP is supposed to be perfect...dont you aggree??

would you keep a car whose breaks only worked one in every two times the peddle was floored
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
i guess if finishing half of his last 6 fights is struggling, then GSP is struggling big time ....
yes I would say that a 50% dec rate is struggling to finish fights. If you consider that 2 of his 3 finishes were against blown up LW's he is only 1 - 4 in finishing real WW's.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 PM
rearnakedchoke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
If not being able to keep Alves on the ground or finish the fight is a great job, then I guess.... whatever.
lets see, kos who is supposed to be a great wrestler couldn't take alves down and GSP did it many times ... GSP gives these guys a slow death ... i wish they did stats on the amount of people that did the walk of shame back to the dressing room crying or barely under their own power .. GSP would definitely be leading ... LOL ... i guess the winner of kampmann swick is in for a rough nite
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
i wish they did stats on the amount of people that did the walk of shame back to the dressing room crying or barely under their own power .. GSP would definitely be leading ... LOL ... i guess the winner of kampmann swick is in for a rough nite
Um no. Fedor has 30 wins (11 more than GSP) and he made Mark Cloeman's daughters cry so that means he had made 13 more people do the walk of shame / cry than GSP has.

The winner of Kampman vs Swick will get taken down over and over it will look like GSP vs Fitch
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
Georges beat a guy last night that totally destroyed the last 6 opponents he faced and some of you are saying because he didn't finish him that it somehow makes GSP look bad,lol,
if thats really true then what does that say about the rest of the welterweight division when even though Alves lost last night he would still be considered the #1 contender in the division in most peoples eyes.
As a champion, Matt Hughes has 11 victories. 2 of those were for the title (Newton, GSP), 7 were title defenses (Sakurai, Newton, Castillo, Sherk, Trigg x2, Penn), 1 was a catchweight fight (Gracie) and the 1 his opponent didn't make weight for (Riggs).

Of those 11 victories as the Welterweight Champion, how many went to a decision? Only one, his fight against Sean Sherk.

So, you'll excuse me if I'm a little bit spoiled by that and actually expect UFC champions to fight to win, not just fight not to lose.

I seem to recall Tim Sylvia putting on similar performances against Andrei Arlovski and Jeff Monson and everybody hated him for it. However, with GSP it's somehow forgiven.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
As a champion, Matt Hughes has 11 victories. 2 of those were for the title (Newton, GSP), 7 were title defenses (Sakurai, Newton, Castillo, Sherk, Trigg x2, Penn), 1 was a catchweight fight (Gracie) and the 1 his opponent didn't make weight for (Riggs).

Of those 11 victories as the Welterweight Champion, how many went to a decision? Only one, his fight against Sean Sherk.

So, you'll excuse me if I'm a little bit spoiled by that and actually expect UFC champions to fight to win, not just fight not to lose.

I seem to recall Tim Sylvia putting on similar performances against Andrei Arlovski and Jeff Monson and everybody hated him for it. However, with GSP it's somehow forgiven.
Thanks for the figures Nate, well said.
Impressive as well, wow, one decision as champion.

I also expect a champion to come in to WIN, not just not to lose.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 PM
bradwright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
As a champion, Matt Hughes has 11 victories. 2 of those were for the title (Newton, GSP), 7 were title defenses (Sakurai, Newton, Castillo, Sherk, Trigg x2, Penn), 1 was a catchweight fight (Gracie) and the 1 his opponent didn't make weight for (Riggs).

Of those 11 victories as the Welterweight Champion, how many went to a decision? Only one, his fight against Sean Sherk.

So, you'll excuse me if I'm a little bit spoiled by that and actually expect UFC champions to fight to win, not just fight not to lose.

I seem to recall Tim Sylvia putting on similar performances against Andrei Arlovski and Jeff Monson and everybody hated him for it. However, with GSP it's somehow forgiven.

you seem to over look the fact that the fighters are much better now then in years past and its much more difficult to finish a fight these days,
and if your argument truly is that GSP is such a bad fighter then how come only 2 people have ever finished him ?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 PM
MattHughesRocks's Avatar
MattHughesRocks MattHughesRocks is offline
Stump Rules!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,790
Default

Well one of them was Matt Serra so that counts as about 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
you seem to over look the fact that the fighters are much better now then in years past and its much more difficult to finish a fight these days,
and if your argument truly is that GSP is such a bad fighter then how come only 2 people have ever finished him ?
__________________


http://stumpdotcom.com/
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Liddellfan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

GSP looked GREAT the entire fight. Now lets see what happens when he has the time to gain weight and then take on A.Silva....After that, he should have his next title defense in the bag, either Kampman or Swick.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Max
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddellfan
GSP looked GREAT the entire fight. Now lets see what happens when he has the time to gain weight and then take on A.Silva....After that, he should have his next title defense in the bag, either Kampman or Swick.
how much time should they give him to gain weight?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.