Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Sports

Old 07-12-2009, 05:26 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Default Arturo Gatti Found Dead

Wow, I'm so shocked and saddened to hear this!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...OLNjQD99CGVAO0

Quote:
Former boxing champ Gatti found dead in Brazil

By STAN LEHMAN 7 hours ago

SAO PAULO (AP) Former boxing champion Arturo Gatti, one of the most exciting fighters of his generation, was found dead in a hotel room in the posh seaside resort of Porto de Galihnas early Saturday.

Police investigator Edilson Alves told The Associated Press that the body of the former junior welterweight champ was discovered in his hotel room at the tourist resort, where Gatti had arrived on Friday with his Brazilian wife Amanda and 1-year-old son.

Alves said police were investigating and it was unclear how the 37-year-old Canadian died.

"It is still too early to say anything concrete, although it is all very strange," Alves said.

A spokeswoman for the state public safety department said Gatti's wife and son were unhurt. The women declined to give a name in keeping with department policy.

"There were no bullet or stab wounds on his body, but police did find blood stains on the floor," she said.

Gatti first captured the junior welterweight title in 1995, when he defeated Tracy Harris Patterson in Atlantic City, N.J. His brawling style and natural charisma made him a fan favorite, and he became one of New Jersey's adopted sons while fighting some of his most memorable battles on the Boardwalk.

"His entire boxing career he fought with us, we've known him since he was 17," Kathy Duva of promoter Main Events told The Associated Press. "It's just an unspeakable tragedy. I can't even find words. It's a horror."

Brazilian boxer and four-time world champion Acelino "Popo" Freitas told the G1 Web site of Brazil's largest television network Globo that he was a close friend of Gatti and his wife, and that he "knew they were having some sort of problem and were about to separate, but I didn't know they were in Brazil."

Francisco Assis, a local police investigator, told G1 that Gatti could have died up to eight hours before his body was found early Saturday.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:30 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

I am very saddened by this news

I got a text about this when I was out, and this made me really reflect. It's been a tough few weeks for popular culture,

Goodbye "THUNDER".....
Old 07-12-2009, 06:28 AM
sender

wtf thats messed up!!! He was one of my fav boxers!! Never a boring fight
Old 07-12-2009, 05:28 PM
rearnakedchoke

sad news ... aturo always came out swinging to put on a show ...
Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
logrus

Man that sucks,
Old 07-12-2009, 05:48 PM
rearnakedchoke

reports are saying his wife is a suspect ... this is madness ...
Old 07-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
reports are saying his wife is a suspect ... this is madness ...
Yup, it's getting more crazy!

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/stor...champion-Gatti
Quote:
Police detain wife of former boxing champion Gatti

SAO PAULO (AP) - Police say 23-year-old Amanda Rodrigues was taken into custody Sunday because of contradictions when she was interrogated. Gatti's body was found early Saturday in a hotel room at the Porto de Galinhas resort in northeastern Brazil.

A spokeswoman for the Pernambuco state civil police says Gatti was apparently strangled with the strap of a purse, which was found with blood stains at the scene. Milena Saraiva told The Associated Press that the Canadian also had a head injury.

Saraiva said authorities were preparing to present a formal accusation against Rodrigues.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:16 PM

Sad news. Gatti was a warrior. BIG loss to boxing...

[
Old 07-12-2009, 09:33 PM
logrus

I can't see his wife being able to strangle the man, that dude was a bad ass fighter who was famed for having the most insane 15 rounds of war. Only way I could see it being possible is if he was on something at the time.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Crisco

IF she is guilty and Arturo didn't try to kill her when she killed him I hope they put her in front of a firing squad.