Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-13-2009, 05:24 PM
logrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Dude if you don't think that his behavior was unbecoming of a champion then there is no saving you.
Typical reaction of a person who is not a fan of Brock who just watched their fighter/bet get demolished. Brock did his talking with his fists, after wards he was still fired up and a bit later he was colorful and ecstatic.

You just wanted Brock to get up swap some spit with Mir who bad mouthed him, thank the lord for some invisible act that only miraculously happens when they win. They can't all be Hughes my friend.

Besides what about behavior unbecoming of a former less then 24hour without his belt champion. Who managed to drive his supped up truck and endanger the lives of innocent pedestrians, and motorists. Your still shotgun on that wagon.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by logrus
Typical reaction of a person who is not a fan of Brock who just watched their fighter/bet get demolished. Brock did his talking with his fists, after wards he was still fired up and a bit later he was colorful and ecstatic.

You just wanted Brock to get up swap some spit with Mir who bad mouthed him, thank the lord for some invisible act that only miraculously happens when they win. They can't all be Hughes my friend.

Besides what about behavior unbecoming of a former less then 24hour without his belt champion. Who managed to drive his supped up truck and endanger the lives of innocent pedestrians, and motorists. Your still shotgun on that wagon.
Typical response of someone who doesn't care what Brock does.

I was rooting for Brock in this fight. What he did made me lose respect for him.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:31 PM
BamaGrits84

Default surely brock can read

it's the UFC not WWE dumb@ss. i cannot stand this guy. he's such a joke. first i think it's completely unfair for him to fight at his size. does the weigh class idea just go out the window after a certain weight? i understand dana bringing brock tot he ufc. i know it was a business decision. he brings in new fans. but what about the fans (previously completely loyal) that he repulses? second he's such a disgrace. if VH1 did a charm school for tools he'd need to be the top pick. i hope matt never has to fight on the same card because i don't want to ever buy another ppv event he's involved in. oh and fyi this is my first post is if it's not in the right place it'll get it there next time.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:34 PM
pistol-pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Typical response of someone who doesn't care what Brock does.

I was rooting for Brock in this fight. What he did made me lose respect for him.

I could probably say the same thing. Brock is a very emotionally immature person, he doesn't understand that some of the things Mir was doing pre-fight was to promote the fight, he was angered and upset, his pride couldn't take it. Brock learned early in his life that instead of trying really hard to make people that ridicule you try and like you, you are better off just being as big of a dick as possible so you don't get your feelings hurt, put up his coping shield, AKA the middle finger.

Again my expectations are closer to what he actually did after the fight. I wasn't shocked or suprised, but I surely don't care if he wins his next fight.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol-pete
I could probably say the same thing. Brock is a very emotionally immature person, he doesn't understand that some of the things Mir was doing pre-fight was to promote the fight, he was angered and upset, his pride couldn't take it. Brock learned early in his life that instead of trying really hard to make people that ridicule you try and like you, you are better off just being as big of a dick as possible so you don't get your feelings hurt, put up his coping shield, AKA the middle finger.

Again my expectations are closer to what he actually did after the fight. I wasn't shocked or suprised, but I surely don't care if he wins his next fight.
Then he should have STAYED in the WWE where that was not only acceptable but encouraged

He needs to learn...and FAST, that the kind of display he did, coming from the background he's got, is wholly NOT acceptable. He's been thrust in at the deep end, I understand...and others have been rude after matches aswell...but he carries with him a stigma from professional Wrestling where HE, personally, HE, cant afford to be seen as ANYTHING but professional or else he will seriously damage the image of the sport.

HE was put about Georges Saint Pierre and Thiago Alves...HE was the crowning glory of THE most important card in terms of the History of the promotion outside of their first event. THIS was there Centenary...they shall have to wait another ONEHUNDRED Championships to do it again.

Quite frankly, he ruined it. Not because he beat Mir when he shouldnt have even been at that level, not because he didnt deserve to be in the promotion to begin with, not because he shouldnt have jumped to MMA being so high profile in the Professional Wrestling world. Not because Mir is any better representative of the sport.

Solely because of what he did after the Fight....He even blamed his Professional Wrestling background in his forced apology...in which he started to tell his full life story, then, thankfully thought better of it "for those who want to get to know me..."

WE DONT. Thats a growing consensus. He behaved exactly like the Critics said he would, and he embarissed those with any conscience who supported him. Its too late to then come running with "would you like to get to know me"

So he has now a hell of a lot of work to do on his image....and Hopefully Dana White has learned his lesson. Less time messing around (like was shown in his blog) less time pushing some WWE oaf...MORE time promoting proper fights like GSP/Alves...MORE time finding a reasonable home for your product in the United Kingdom.

Such a shame that UFC100 now has...a kinda, bad after-taste...roll on UFC101 where we can forget the foolish hype..and start the rest of forever
Old 07-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
He needs to learn...and FAST, that the kind of display he did, coming from the background he's got, is wholly NOT acceptable. He's been thrust in at the deep end, I understand...and others have been rude after matches aswell...but he carries with him a stigma from professional Wrestling where HE, personally, HE, cant afford to be seen as ANYTHING but professional or else he will seriously damage the image of the sport.
One person is not going to damage the image of MMA Dave. Tyson talked about eating peoples kids but that did not hurt boxing. Ali and PBF are / were total asses but they did not hurt boxing, they both helped it. TO is a total dick but he does not hurt the NFL. Now there are certain things that could hurt MMA. IF it is found out that 75% of the fighters are on roids, that woudl hurt the sport. If some big betting scandal came about, that would hurt the sport. IF Dana and the UFC keep trying to **** the fighters over that could hurt the sport. One person is not going to hurt the sport, unless that one person happens to break into the UFC office and kill everyone that works there, that could hurt the sport.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Crisco

Sounds like a Japanese tactic lol.

Probably the only chance other brands have at taking on the ufc is hire a suicide bomber lol.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGrits84
it's the UFC not WWE dumb@ss. i cannot stand this guy. he's such a joke. first i think it's completely unfair for him to fight at his size. does the weigh class idea just go out the window after a certain weight? i understand dana bringing brock tot he ufc. i know it was a business decision. he brings in new fans. but what about the fans (previously completely loyal) that he repulses? second he's such a disgrace. if VH1 did a charm school for tools he'd need to be the top pick. i hope matt never has to fight on the same card because i don't want to ever buy another ppv event he's involved in. oh and fyi this is my first post is if it's not in the right place it'll get it there next time.
Um, the heavy weight class has a max of 265lbs, which Brock weighed at the weigh-ins.

I don't like him as much as the next guy, but he did win the fight, making me eat my words. I thought Mir would make a better fight out of that, and he didn't. I'm afraid that Carwin or Cain will really have their hands full if they can't stop Brock from holding them down and literally beating the **** out of them like he did Mir. What I was excited about is that he finished the fight. Like a champion should... finish his fights. I don't care for what he did after the fight, but in the ring, he was champ.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Miss Foxy

I wish upon a little star that Brock and Fedor could somehow fight one day.. He would get his a** kicked and wouldnt be flipping off the fans that pay his wages.. He's a disrespectful a**hole...
Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
One person is not going to damage the image of MMA Dave. Tyson talked about eating peoples kids but that did not hurt boxing. Ali and PBF are / were total asses but they did not hurt boxing, they both helped it. TO is a total dick but he does not hurt the NFL. Now there are certain things that could hurt MMA. IF it is found out that 75% of the fighters are on roids, that woudl hurt the sport. If some big betting scandal came about, that would hurt the sport. IF Dana and the UFC keep trying to **** the fighters over that could hurt the sport. One person is not going to hurt the sport, unless that one person happens to break into the UFC office and kill everyone that works there, that could hurt the sport.
This has been one of the most talked about topics ALL weekend long. Even today on ESPN Radio and The Score in Chicago, they are still talking about it right now. If anything, Brock just drummed up a bunch of hype that will help the sport. Also, they are NOT only talking about Brock, they are talking about Henderson's KO of Bisping, and calling his follow up shot a "cheap shot", and even being overly critical of the amount of blood on the mat through the night. The funniest part is the complete lack of background knowledge on the sport from some of the people making comments in the mainstream media. However, they are the voice of mainstream sports, and that has been the "goal" all along...right?

Of course Tyson, Ali, and PBF did NOT hurt boxing, they epitomize what the fight game has become. Dana White owes his success in this business to the model Boxing set up , and also the promoting that Vince McMahon mastered. It's funny that you mention Tyson and Ali, because Fight Night Round 4 just came out and it's crushing UFC Undisputed in sales with those two guys on the cover and neither of them have even been relevant in Boxing for years. Now, Dana is threatening to blacklist any fighter that shows up in the EA MMA game, except for Randy Couture of course....

Dana White cannot run from this beast forever, and when it gets to be too big for him, he will take his ball and go home, laughing all the way to the bank when he does. All this nonsense about being the "biggest sport in the world" is just smoke to keep the hardcore elitist fans interested. Dana has been a true pioneer in this sport, and he has done some great things to get the sport this far, but I can't believe that Zuffa would think they can REALLY get into the mainstream too much deeper than they are now. They are better off to tap into the niche fan base and milk it. We just had UFC 100, I think it's safe to say MMA is here to stay.

Still, it's coming to a point where MMA will eventually hit a crossroads. A lot of casual fans were turned off by many of the events at UFC 100, but the hardcore fans are now more involved then ever. There is also a lot of fans that were gained from UFC 100, and the subsequent chatter in the mainstream media over the last 3 days is only helping that. Brock made a poor choice by calling out Bud Light, but it also sends a message. These fighters want more money, and as the sport grows, so will their individual celebrity and their bargaining power. So, which way will it go? Will it end up like Boxing, where the fighters have the power and make the bulk of the money? Or, does it end up like Pro-Wrestling, with more elaborate interviews, dramatic build ups, and ONE guy who doesn't fight sitting at the center of it all?

They really are in a VERY unique position, they have found a way to make people think they are not actively trying to encourage bad blood between the fighters, but then they blatantly do it. They not only bring in the top ranked talent, and the most polarizing figures, but they have been creating their stars on a reality show. It's very WWF, but with real fights, and people KNOW that. The ONLY thing that can "hurt" the sport at this point would be some sort of massive cheating scandal, or a horrible death on live TV, and even then, somebody else would come along and clean it up.

I think it's a very entertaining time in MMA, and there are some very interesting power struggles shaping up that could change the sport in the years to come.