Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-14-2009, 12:13 AM
David_Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Of course Tyson, Ali, and PBF did NOT hurt boxing, they epitomize what the fight game has become. Dana White owes his success in this business to the model Boxing set up , and also the promoting that Vince McMahon mastered. It's funny that you mention Tyson and Ali, because Fight Night Round 4 just came out and it's crushing UFC Undisputed in sales with those two guys on the cover and neither of them have even been relevant in Boxing for years. Now, Dana is threatening to blacklist any fighter that shows up in the EA MMA game, except for Randy Couture of course.... .

Dana went to EA a year and a half ago asking them to do a UFC/MMA game. They laughed him out of the office, saying MMA wasnt a sport and they wanted nothing to do with him, the UFC and MMA. Fast forward to now, and these same people are now trying to jump into the money pit.

Sure, thats Capitalism, but from them to go from zero to wide open once someone else took the initial risk is spineless. Its nothing new but it does put the spot light on the two types of business people in this world.. Those that roll the bones and take the chances, and those like EA Sports that run from behind on the freshly paved road someone else paved, using their money and resources as well as cut throat tactics to get ahead of the true pioneers. If I was Dana White, I'd feel the same way about it.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:59 AM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
This isnt Professional Wrestling!!!

But you've hit the nail on the head...and I forewarned everyone about this...and noone listened...and now you're all sorry

I'm feeling so.....up-myself today
Dave if it was WWE he would have been more polished in his delivery and they would have pre-recorded it. That was Brock being Brock. He is overly competive and does not know how to think before he speaks. It would be boring if all fighters thanked the sponsors and sounded like robots. He comment were off color that is for sure but most could care less.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:12 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner
Dana went to EA a year and a half ago asking them to do a UFC/MMA game. They laughed him out of the office, saying MMA wasnt a sport and they wanted nothing to do with him, the UFC and MMA. Fast forward to now, and these same people are now trying to jump into the money pit.

Sure, thats Capitalism, but from them to go from zero to wide open once someone else took the initial risk is spineless. Its nothing new but it does put the spot light on the two types of business people in this world.. Those that roll the bones and take the chances, and those like EA Sports that run from behind on the freshly paved road someone else paved, using their money and resources as well as cut throat tactics to get ahead of the true pioneers. If I was Dana White, I'd feel the same way about it.

Of course Dana says that to the public, NOW. A year and a half ago, Dana was out there saying how much he would like to have EA do the game. Could they have snubbed him? Sure, but you are acting like EA should owe Dana some kind of favor. It's Dana and the UFC who got into making video games, it's not like EA sports started a rival fighting company.

Blacklisting people for being a part of the EA game, especially when they are letting Randy be a part of it no matter what, is not only wrong, but I would imagine that it is walking a very thin line in the eyes of the law as well.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 AM
MMeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Typical response of someone who doesn't care what Brock does.

I was rooting for Brock in this fight. What he did made me lose respect for him.
QFT. Mir talked a lot of crap heading into the fight (as did Brock), but to rush a guy after you just put him out and then carry on like an out of control 12 year old is pretty low. It's too bad, because Lesnar is a phenomenal athlete and could rule the HW division for a long time. But his act makes all that secondary, and I won't be ordering any PPV involving that oaf unless it's involving Fedor mounting his roided up arm over his fireplace. Vote with your wallets, if you don't like Brock don't support his events
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Banner

ah...I didnt know that. Perhaps that explains his reaction. I think I would rather then ban them from the game. Force EA sports to pay me royalties...and remind them if they had listen to me in the first place they would be sharing more my bounty
Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
ah...I didnt know that. Perhaps that explains his reaction. I think I would rather then ban them from the game. Force EA sports to pay me royalties...and remind them if they had listen to me in the first place they would be sharing more my bounty

Why should EA have to pay UFC any royalties? The UFC does not "own" the sport.

Dana is not banning people from being in the game, he is banning people from the UFC if they take part in the game (except for Randy, because he took them to court). That is ridiculous, and only further proves that Dana is only concerned about money. It's a flat out lie that he would completely blacklist any fighter, if the fighter is big enough and could make him money, he would forget all about the video game bulls**t and sign the guy. You can believe that.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Chuck

Quote:

Dana is not banning people from being in the game, he is banning people from the UFC if they take part in the game (except for Randy, because he took them to court). That is ridiculous, and only further proves that Dana is only concerned about money. It's a flat out lie that he would completely blacklist any fighter, if the fighter is big enough and could make him money, he would forget all about the video game bulls**t and sign the guy. You can believe that.
Isn't it the same way in the NFL though?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Isn't it the same way in the NFL though?
Apples and Oranges bro...

The NFL is much more popular than the UFC, and it operates on a completely different level. There were fighters on UFC 100 who got paid 5,000 dollars to fight. When those guys make money similar to the NFL league minimum, then we can talk about UFC being comparable to the NFL.

The NFL does not bother to go after other leagues that pop up much less video game companies. The NFL only gets paid if their logo and NFL teams show up in the game. However, ANY NFL player can go out and sign a contract with a video game company, and appear in a video game without threat of being blacklisted from the league. It's like that in all the major sports.

Last edited by J.B.; 07-15-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

Dana White does own the fighters in a legally binding employment contract. In theory he could do what the WWE did.

Trademark all the names of his Fighters.

Then...yes...to use them would involve the rights of royalties I believe.

Could you imagine in "Matt Hughes (TM)"
Old 07-15-2009, 12:26 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Dana White does own the fighters in a legally binding employment contract. In theory he could do what the WWE did.

Trademark all the names of his Fighters.

Then...yes...to use them would involve the rights of royalties I believe.

Could you imagine in "Matt Hughes (TM)"
No, he could not do that.

You cannot just put a trademark on people's actual names. He does NOT own the fighters, in fact he only OWNS 10% of the UFC. Vince McMahon trademarked names of fictional characters his company created. Also, Vince does not own the trademarks to ALL to the wrestlers characters, but he does own most.

You are really missing my point Dave... It's one thing for Dana to say that people he has under contract with UFC cannot take part in the game, even though he is being hypocritical because they are letting Randy do it. However, by sending an open ended threat that anybody who is involved with the game will never fight for the UFC, is borderline illegal. EA could potentially file a lawsuit against the UFC. It falls under the same context as collusion, and it is wrong.

Not to mention, it's a bunch of bull. Do you really think Dana would hold up to what he said? If Fedor is on the cover of the game, is he going to refuse to sign him? I doubt it. Dana White is going to end up losing this battle, so he should not even bother with EA, just worry about UFC.