Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-13-2009, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I haven't claimed to have not been wrong,
and have even complimented GSP several times on this forum.
He is a very talented guy.
He is a great mma wrestler, I just do not find him entertaining.

That isn't discrediting him.
I cannot help what I find entertaining and what I do not.
Hes a great mixed martial artist in general...... They were standing for a good two mintues almost every round and Alves really didnt get the better of the striking either..
Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 AM
Hughes_GOAT

GSP didn't learn from Can-Flow on how to "finish fights" when he was helping him.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:25 AM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44
1. It was apparent that GSP was gonna finish him eventually the whole fight... 2. Everyone i was with expected alves to tire out and get finished in the 4th round or so
3. ala the serra and bj fights.... i was surprised thiago made it to the finish
4. ps you picked alves to win this fight
1. GSP never came close to finishing the fight so how was it apparent?
2. everyone you were with was wrong
3. What GSP v Serra fight were you watching??? The second fight ended in the 2nd round.
4. Um I stated to dawg in a PM that I thought GSP would win I just could not pick him. If you look in the UFC 100- Alves vs. GSP (Analysis Thread) this is what I said about the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
If the fight stays standing I think that Alves will win but if GSP is able to take Alves down I think he wins.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Max

Quote:
Hes a great mixed martial artist in general...... They were standing for a good two mintues almost every round and Alves really didnt get the better of the striking either..
thats because Alves was scared to get taken down. Any time Alves would move in GSP would take him down.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
thats because Alves was scared to get taken down. Any time Alves would move in GSP would take him down.
Well heres a question for you then???? Who in the ufc will be able to consistently stop georges td's enough to beat him???
Old 07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Buc Nasty

Quote:
Well heres a question for you then???? Who in the ufc will be able to consistently stop georges td's enough to beat him???
If GSP goes to 185 he won't be taking everyone down. Hendo is too strong and skilled and the Silva's would knee his face off. I think he'd be forced to stay standing more often and I like watching his fights when he's standing.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buc Nasty
If GSP goes to 185 he won't be taking everyone down. Hendo is too strong and skilled and the Silva's would knee his face off. I think he'd be forced to stay standing more often and I like watching his fights when he's standing.
eh i still think GSP could takedown most mw's at will...... Henderson gets takendown by lesser wrestlers than st pierre like ninja and bustamante..... Plus st pierre takes down Rashad and jardine at wll during practice which has been stated many times in interviews and sparring footage.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:19 PM
logrus

Quote:
At 170 mot likely nobody for a long while, Kinda like Nobody could stop Matt's.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Max

Quote:
at 170 I think Alves still has the best shot but it will be a year or two before he is ready to even give it another shot. I think there are a lot of 185 pound fighters who would give him problems. GSP had a 6 inch reach adv over Alves so any time Alves was close enough to land punches he was also in range for GSP's takedowns. It also looks like GSP might have problems holding bigger fighters down. I dont think GSP is stupid. He knows that if he moves up to 185 he will lose the size adv he has and will be the smaller man in most of the fights. He will stay at WW and dominate untill the UFC forces him to move up and fight Silva.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 PM
rearnakedchoke

On another note, the octagon was a mess when it came to the main card ... there must have been some serious cuts in the undercards .... was it all from danzig or were there other fights that contributed to the mess ...