Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-03-2009, 06:56 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
you have it in your head that BJ is lazy yet ever since his 2nd fight with Matt he has trained his ass off for all his fights. BJ being lazy is not what lost his the fight vs GSP. He came into that fight in shape and ready to go but GSP was just to strong for him. I dont think BJ did the wrong thing by asking for this fight. BJ loves the challenge of fighting bigger fighters and this was a great test for him. In the end he came up short but BJ is still one of the best fighters of all time.
How do you know how much he trained? The special on Spike made it look like he was lazy and taking a lot of time off. I know it could be creative editing, but almost every time they showed BJ he was sitting around TALKING about how he was going to kill GSP. I don't know if BJ is lazy or not, but the look of him and the show definitely give me that impression.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:17 PM

I think it is foolish to say BJ was lazy in his training for GSP, considering he knew this was the biggest fight of his career against a super fit GSP, there is no way Bj Penn was on easy street.

Gsp pushed him too hard and was better.

BJ did not lose because of Vaseline but he also didnt lose from lack of training.
thats silly!

GSP was just to much, i dont see why 1) this is such a talking point still
2) that to be pushed and beaten ny GSP is a thing so bad!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:17 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
you have it in your head that BJ is lazy yet ever since his 2nd fight with Matt he has trained his ass off for all his fights. BJ being lazy is not what lost his the fight vs GSP. He came into that fight in shape and ready to go but GSP was just to strong for him. I dont think BJ did the wrong thing by asking for this fight. BJ loves the challenge of fighting bigger fighters and this was a great test for him. In the end he came up short but BJ is still one of the best fighters of all time.

I didn't say BJ wasn't a really good fighter,,i said he was lazy and only trained half assed for this fight,,and if your wondering how i came to this conclusion,,well it looked to me like BJ was gassed after the first round and could do nothing about Georges taking him down and pounding on him in the 2nd 3rd or 4th rounds,,thats what makes me say he was lazy and didn't train hard enough.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:25 PM

He owes kenny florian a fight before he retires.

I like Kenny's chances alot more than i did before saturday. Who knows what that beating did to Bj's mindset.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:28 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
I didn't say BJ wasn't a really good fighter,,i said he was lazy and only trained half assed for this fight,,and if your wondering how i came to this conclusion,,well it looked to me like BJ was gassed after the first round and could do nothing about Georges taking him down and pounding on him in the 2nd 3rd or 4th rounds,,thats what makes me say he was lazy and didn't train hard enough.
BJ trained hard for this fight, more than any other .. he could have trained for another year and he still wouldn't beat GSP ... gsp wins that fight 100% of the time
Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Retire, who needs ya?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Preach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
BJ trained hard for this fight, more than any other .. he could have trained for another year and he still wouldn't beat GSP ... gsp wins that fight 100% of the time

With Vaseline and HGH in his corner I agree
Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
Having someone who out weighs you by 15 - 20 pounds leaning up against you and pushing you up against the cage is going to wear anyone out (hell even Randy said Brock's size was wearing him out when they fought). You cant use the fact that BJ was tired from being thrown around as proof that he did not train hard.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
How do you know how much he trained? The special on Spike made it look like he was lazy and taking a lot of time off. I know it could be creative editing, but almost every time they showed BJ he was sitting around TALKING about how he was going to kill GSP. I don't know if BJ is lazy or not, but the look of him and the show definitely give me that impression.
On BJ's site they showed his training pretty in depth thru December. He was doing some very intense stuff. I know they probably didn't show a lot of it, but a great deal.

[
Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Preach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
On BJ's site they showed his training pretty in depth thru December. He was doing some very intense stuff. I know they probably didn't show a lot of it, but a great deal.

Your correct BJ trained hard