Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
surveyorshawn

Default The Blind Leading the Blind....

I saw this in a news feed I got in an email. My goodness, I can't imagine where some people get the things they say and teach, other than making it up as they go along. They certainly aren't getting it from the Bible.

Episcopal Bishop calls individual salvation 'heresy,' 'idolatry'

ANAHEIM, CA - Episcopal Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori says it's "heresy" to believe that an individual can be saved through a sinner's prayer of repentance.
In her opening address to the church's General Conference in California, Jefferts Schori called that "the great Western heresy: that we can be saved as individuals, that any of us alone can be in right relationship with God."
The presiding bishop said that view is "caricatured in some quarters by insisting that salvation depends on reciting a specific verbal formula about Jesus."
According to Schori, it is heresy to believe that an individual's prayer can achieve a saving relationship with God. "That individualist focus is a form of idolatry, for it puts me and my words in the place that only God can occupy."

Last edited by surveyorshawn; 07-09-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:13 PM
warriorlion

But isnt it a prayer of Faith, i would not have thought that someone accepting Jesus into their life needs a set wording, but its the believe part and the inviting part that bring salvation, as christians are reborn in God through believing in their hearts and confessing with their mouths that Jesus is Lord. How else do they want people to confess it.

I agree its got nothing to do with some special prayer formula taht if you get it wrong you are not saved.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:37 PM
surveyorshawn

It's not that someone does or does not say a prayer with certain words that is disturbing. We all know we are saved by faith in Jesus. The title of the article that I posted contains everything that Christians should have a problem with. It is also summed up in the following quote: Jefferts Schori called that "the great Western heresy: that we can be saved as individuals, that any of us alone can be in right relationship with God." I will go back & edit my post & put the disconcerting parts in bold. A "sinner's prayer" is not mentioned in scripture as the method of salvation, and again, the things she mentions about such a prayer are not what I have a problem with. She maintains that an individual cannot be saved or be in a right relationship with God, and we should all have a problem with that theology.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn
It's not that someone does or does not say a prayer with certain words that is disturbing. We all know we are saved by faith in Jesus. The title of the article that I posted contains everything that Christians should have a problem with. It is also summed up in the following quote: Jefferts Schori called that "the great Western heresy: that we can be saved as individuals, that any of us alone can be in right relationship with God." I will go back & edit my post & put the disconcerting parts in bold. A "sinner's prayer" is not mentioned in scripture as the method of salvation, and again, the things she mentions about such a prayer are not what I have a problem with. She maintains that an individual cannot be saved or be in a right relationship with God, and we should all have a problem with that theology.
QFT
Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 PM
cubsfan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
QFT
Me too.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

The Episcopal Church is...difficult

I aggree that no particular prayer saves anyone...and that only Jesus Spirit indwelling saves someone...and that that can sometimes happen through prayer...and sometimes happen through revelation.

Thats probably the point she's trying to make...but that Church is really the cause of all the problems in the Anglican Communion at present.

Anyone who consecrates an openly practising homosexual...has their theology missplaced somewhere. Its just not done. and they did