Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-09-2009, 03:15 PM

Default Cro Cop BACK to UFC....again.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...9128&zoneid=13

- CRO COP DROPS MIGHTY MO, BACK TO UFC?
Thursday, July 09, 2009 - by Steven Marrocco - MMAWeekly.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The on-again-off-again relationship between Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic and the UFC may be on-again.

In a Tuesday report on graciemag.com, up-and-comer Junior Dos Santos says it is, by way of a fight with the Croatian MMA star at UFC 103. The bout would headline the Sept. 19 event hosted by the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Dos Santos was originally scheduled to face Justin McCully at UFC 102 before being removed from the card.

"To me it's incredible," said the Brazilian. "When they asked me if they could change the fight date I was a bit bothered, because I wanted to fight right away. I've been away for some time now. But the Fertitta brothers asked me and I accepted. After that I found out it would be against Cro Cop and was overjoyed. Itíll be a big opportunity in my career. Lots of good things have happened in my life and this is one more. I'm going to make the most of it."

Following a controversial win over Mustapha Al-Turk at UFC 99, Cro Cop made headlines by reportedly snubbing a two-fight UFC deal for a contract with Dream. The feared striker subsequently told Croatian news outlets that the snafu had been a misunderstanding and his decision to stray was based on the UFC's offered timetable for future fights.

Late last week, Croatian website Index.hr reported that Lorenzo Fertitta flew to Cro Cop's Zagreb home to re-establish contact and offer a new deal for his UFC return. The deal was reportedly "an offer he couldn't refuse."

According to MMAWeekly.com's sources, Cro Cop has dropped out of an announced fight with Siala "Mighty Mo" Siliga at Dream 10 on July 20.

Though it's conceivable that Cro Cop could make both fights, it appears he has chosen to remain inside the Octagon.

In the build-up to UFC 99, Cro Cop said a UFC title was in his sights.

"I just want to return to the top," he said. " I just want to prove to everyone that they were wrong.Ē
Old 07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Bleh, whoopdie doo. Cro Cop would just get his ass handed to him in the UFC anyways.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Crisco

I'm really happy he is coming back. If CC can do work like he use too every fight he has will be awesome to watch.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I'm really happy he is coming back. If CC can do work like he use too every fight he has will be awesome to watch.

I am also happy to see him come back. I'm glad the UFC offered him a contract that he obviously wanted. Hopefully that means several more fights before the year's end. People enjoy watching him fight. I sometimes wish more American fans were like Japanese fans. Excited to see a fighter regardless of losses.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Rev

Quote:
LOL do work son! I love it!
I hope the old CC comes in and becomes a force in the hw div. but he wont be champ. IMHO
Old 07-09-2009, 06:10 PM

War CroCop! He certainly has been inconsistent in his fighting the last two years. I almost had a heart attack when Gonzaga knocked him out with the head kick. I hope we see the "old" CroCop. Even if his best days are behind him, I still admire him as a man for his work on an anti-terror squad and his services as a member of the Croatian parliament.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
LOL do work son! I love it!
I hope the old CC comes in and becomes a force in the hw div. but he wont be champ. IMHO
The level of wrestling in the UFC is MUCH higher then Pride. CC will have a lot of trouble with Lesnar, Couture, Carwin, Cain.

But I could see Cro Cop being beating Kongo in a rematch.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The level of wrestling in the UFC is MUCH higher then Pride. CC will have a lot of trouble with Lesnar, Couture, Carwin, Cain.

But I could see Cro Cop being beating Kongo in a rematch.
mirko use to have the best td defense in the game better than chucks
Old 07-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44
mirko use to have the best td defense in the game better than chucks
Against a division with much weaker wrestling.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Against a division with much weaker wrestling.
mark coleman. kevin randlman, ron waterman, josh barnett 3 x

the first 2 are probably 2 of the top 5 wrestlers to ever compete in mma....