Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 PM
JA Yount

Default UFC 100: Recession Proof

http://www.mmaspot.net/news.php?id=501

Quote:
UFC 100: Recession Proof
written by J. Andrew Yount

With UFC 100 less than a week away the last minute demand is proving that mixed martial arts, namely the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), is recession-proof. A ringside seat for this weekend’s centennial attraction at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada is going for a cool $45,000.00. While tickets can still be found between $250-$1,000, the asking price is seemingly going up by the minute. Meanwhile the pay-per-view orders are already far ahead of normal events, and if the typical last minute orders go as normal, the UFC could be looking at a possible 2-3 million in pay-per-view buys. At $44.95+ per order, the windfall from UFC 100 could produce twice the normal revenue from a single UFC event.

The organization has recently taken over professional wrestling as the top pay-per-view ticket, and is now taking aim at some major sports with their attendance and ticket sales figures. The economic impact of these events is also growing, proven by the fact that several hotels in Las Vegas are near full occupancy for this weekend, and rates for just that Saturday are nearly triple the normal prices. Because of the popularity of the sport many people are willing to travel wherever the UFC is to watch an event, dispelling the notion that the sport is riding its internet and television driven popularity.

Not only is UFC expected to draw huge ticket sales and generate huge numbers in tourism dollars for Las Vegas, but the pay-per-view numbers are expected to shatter UFC’s previous highs. The broadcast of the event has compelling interests to a number of fans and countries. Former professional wrestling star Brock Lesnar will be in the main event against Frank Mir. The title bout should draw lots of interest from professional wrestling fans, adding them to the pool of people possibly purchasing the event. Canadian superstar Georges St. Pierre will defend his welterweight title in the co-main event of the evening. His appearance is expected to see thousands of Canadians viewing the event that may not have otherwise. Brittain’s Michael Bisping will also be in action, fueling a spike in ratings from European fans. And finally, the debut of Korean native and Japanese superstar Yoshihiro Akiyama is expected to drive solid ratings in eastern Asia.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Wow, that's pretty cool!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Mac

is there actually people out there who would pay 45 thousand dollars to sit next in the front row ? I cant see how tat is considered rational thought. THat is so friggin stupid on so many different levels it aint even funny.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:03 AM
jason2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
is there actually people out there who would pay 45 thousand dollars to sit next in the front row ? I cant see how tat is considered rational thought. THat is so friggin stupid on so many different levels it aint even funny.
if people where dishing out $5000-$10000 on ebay for a PS3 and Xbox360 when they first came out instead of waiting a week for new shipments to come out, i imagine some rich fool somewhere is willing to pay more than that

meanwhile.... im struggling with justifying the 44.95 for a ppv buy

must be nice to have $45000 laying around to say "i think im gonna go sit in the front row of UFC100" (not including jacked up hotel prices, travel to get there, and a $20 beer while ya watch)
Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 AM
Hughes_GOAT

it is stupid, Mac.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:23 PM
cubsfan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2130
if people where dishing out $5000-$10000 on ebay for a PS3 and Xbox360 when they first came out instead of waiting a week for new shipments to come out, i imagine some rich fool somewhere is willing to pay more than that

meanwhile.... im struggling with justifying the 44.95 for a ppv buy

must be nice to have $45000 laying around to say "i think im gonna go sit in the front row of UFC100" (not including jacked up hotel prices, travel to get there, and a $20 beer while ya watch)
Me too.

I guess I am more fortunate than most; I don't have a major amount of debt. It's a question of priorities though.

Here's the question I have for "y'all": Is it really going to be that good? Sometimes the quality of these things has been exactly the opposite of the hype.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan47
Me too.

I guess I am more fortunate than most; I don't have a major amount of debt. It's a question of priorities though.

Here's the question I have for "y'all": Is it really going to be that good? Sometimes the quality of these things has been exactly the opposite of the hype.
Lesnar/Mir II - exciting the first time although it was short!
GSP/Alves - both of these guys aren't scared to fight!
Hendo/Bisping - Hendo is going to give Bisping a lesson in MMA, his fights are never boring.

Those are the main ones. 2 belts on the line, the TUF Finale (coaches), good lineup IMO!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
cubsfan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Lesnar/Mir II - exciting the first time although it was short!
GSP/Alves - both of these guys aren't scared to fight!
Hendo/Bisping - Hendo is going to give Bisping a lesson in MMA, his fights are never boring.

Those are the main ones. 2 belts on the line, the TUF Finale (coaches), good lineup IMO!
Hmm. No lay and pray" on that card.

Thanks for the input. I especially want to see Hendo do what he does best.

Well I guess I know where my next $45 is going!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:

Just incase you want to check it out, here's the official website. Has lots of news and interviews. You'll need a fast connection though cuz it's flash

http://100.ufc.com
Old 07-08-2009, 03:04 PM
lc87

Quote:

We started just going to buffalo wild wings its a lot cheaper for us we just have to buy our food and watch free. Instead of 45 to watch and then food and time to prepare the food. Just a thought not sure if you have any around. Id get there early to get a seat