Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Krupp

Hm...I'm not sure what to say about the addition of Mask...I like it and I don't. Wish we could say that he fought a few times at least, but he didn't. I was certain it was gonna be either Hughes or Tanner. Sad to see Tanner's still getting the kick.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 AM
atomdanger

But not Hughes? Interesting...

Mask, obviously because Zuffa owns a piece of the pie at Tapout.
They would never put a clothing owning the HOF for any other reason,
also, why not Big John?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Sad to hear about Mask, but what did he do for the sport besides make some t-shirts? I REALLY don't agree with that new commercial that says, "It's more than just putting on a t-shirt." Really?!?!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:29 PM
cubsfan47

I think that this UFC HOF is a "synthetic" honor. created as a marketing gimmick if nothing else. Sort of like the Golden Globe awards or the "Peoples Choice" awards.

Eventually these awards may take on a life of their own and acquire real meaning in the mind of the public; the "oscars" is an example of that.

Right now the UFC HOF awards are mostly a figment of Dana's imagination.

Evan Tanner and Mask were both remarkable men. My regret is that I never got to meet them.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:52 PM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Sad to hear about Mask, but what did he do for the sport besides make some t-shirts? I REALLY don't agree with that new commercial that says, "It's more than just putting on a t-shirt." Really?!?!
Yeah... He did sponsor a lot of fighters,
but so does Condom Depot, and a lot of other companies.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Yeah... He did sponsor a lot of fighters,
but so does Condom Depot, and a lot of other companies.
That's true, I forgot about the sponsorship of fighters. It always "cracks" me up to see "condomdepot.com" written on the fighters' asses.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
I disagree on this one Rock. I think the entire TapouT team has done quite a bit for MMA. They aren't just a t-shirt company like Affliction who jumped on the MMA bandwagon when it started to get big.. they were around from almost the very beginning. They allowed young fighters a chance to fight... a shot at a dream... Condom Depot, Jesus didn't tap, etc... these are sponsors you see pop up when there is a PPV... they've never invested the time and resources into MMA like TapouT did.

Remove any of the current sponsors from MMA and the sport would still be where it is today.... remove TapouT from MMA and I don't think you could say the same thing.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I disagree on this one Rock. I think the entire TapouT team has done quite a bit for MMA. They aren't just a t-shirt company like Affliction who jumped on the MMA bandwagon when it started to get big.. they were around from almost the very beginning. They allowed young fighters a chance to fight... a shot at a dream... Condom Depot, Jesus didn't tap, etc... these are sponsors you see pop up when there is a PPV... they've never invested the time and resources into MMA like TapouT did.

Remove any of the current sponsors from MMA and the sport would still be where it is today.... remove TapouT from MMA and I don't think you could say the same thing.
So they were around from the very beginning, but I'm still trying to figure out, what did they do besides make t-shirts, attend events, and sponsor some fighters? I'm not trying to argue, just looking for clarification since I'm naive.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:04 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
But not Hughes? Interesting...

Mask, obviously because Zuffa owns a piece of the pie at Tapout.
They would never put a clothing owning the HOF for any other reason,
also, why not Big John?
BJM will never be there .. he bad mouthed the UFC when he left, Dana doesn't forget that stuff ... Mask is good, Liddell too ... but does that mean that the other two fools from TapouT are gonna be there too eventually? i was thinking it would be Helio and Rachelle Leah .. now they deserve it ... imo, chuck shouldn't be there unless he retires ... i know they have guys there that fought after they were inducted, but they should make it that you have to be retired for x amount of years before you get inducted ...
Old 07-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Chris F

What no Keith Hackney?