Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 07-06-2009, 09:45 PM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Default An important EMAil I received!

Stop Knife Ban Now!Monday, July 6, 2009 2:09 PM

Stop Knife Ban Now!
Write your Senators NOW to STOP funding for Customs' Pocket Knife Grab. As you are aware from our earlier alert, Customs is proposing to prohibit the import of assisted and one-hand opening pocket knives and in the process has so broadly re-defined what a Switchblade is under the Federal Switchblade Act, that it could cover almost all pocket knives, with potential far-reaching consequences to every knife owner.

Our best bet to stop Customs in the short term is for Congress to prevent them from spending a dime to implement their proposed ruling. The Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Bill will be taken up by the Senate early this week. We need your help NOW to rally support for an amendment to stop funding for this Customs rulemaking.

We only have a very few days to get their attention Contacting Senator Patty Murray [D-WA] and Senator George Voinovich [R-OH] is particularly important because they are ranking members on the Senate Appropriations Committee's Subcommittee on Homeland Security. Contacting your own Senators is also critically important because we'll need their support as well to see this passed.

You will find more information, email addresses and links for the Senators and sample letters to send to the Senators on our partner Knife Rights' web site at: www.kniferights.org or http://bit.ly/DlHfv

Please pass this Action Alert to everyone you know and urge them to ACT NOW! We need to generate thousands of emails in the next few days. Help save our Knife Rights; STOP this ridiculous and illegitimate rulemaking by Customs. WRITE TODAY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

< Please e-mail, distribute, and circulate to friends and family >

Copyright 2009 Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, All Rights Reserved.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
James Madison Building
12500 N.E. Tenth Place
Bellevue, WA 98005 Voice: 425-454-4911
Toll Free: 800-426-4302
FAX: 425-451-3959
email: InformationRequest@ccrkba.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Ha! I live in Texas, they'll never enforce that law here!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Customs??

as in Customs and Excise??

doesnt that just mean they would ban tourists from bringing in Knives through Airports?? Who in this day and age would bring a Knife through an airport and think the Customs Officers wouldnt have a problem
Old 07-07-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Customs??

as in Customs and Excise??

doesnt that just mean they would ban tourists from bringing in Knives through Airports?? Who in this day and age would bring a Knife through an airport and think the Customs Officers wouldnt have a problem
Here are the guidelines as emphasized by the Transportation Security Administration:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

According to this, you can use plastic, or round-bladed butter knifes. What if the plastic is sharp? No doubt it can be just as deadly as a small switch-blade.

Seriously, look at 2 of the "yes" items:
- Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length)
- Wrenches and Pliers (seven inches or less in length)

In particular, you could easily kill a person with a screw driver.

I noticed this stuff the other day but didn't post anything on here about it until now.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Here are the guidelines as emphasized by the Transportation Security Administration:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

According to this, you can use plastic, or round-bladed butter knifes. What if the plastic is sharp? No doubt it can be just as deadly as a small switch-blade.

Seriously, look at 2 of the "yes" items:
- Screwdrivers (seven inches or less in length)
- Wrenches and Pliers (seven inches or less in length)

In particular, you could easily kill a person with a screw driver.

I noticed this stuff the other day but didn't post anything on here about it until now.
its all a little bizzare if you ask me. I can understand customs having problems with firearms...but like you said...any sharp...or elongated instrument with an edge could be used like a knife...yes even a plastic one.

I think you're rights...this is just curious.

IMHO outside of a lighter...all those things for carry on...ALL of them...should be NO
Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Crisco

Quote:
its all a little bizzare if you ask me. I can understand customs having problems with firearms...but like you said...any sharp...or elongated instrument with an edge could be used like a knife...yes even a plastic one.

I think you're rights...this is just curious.

IMHO outside of a lighter...all those things for carry on...ALL of them...should be NO
Lighters should be banned also IMO
Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 PM

I don't think they are concerned about what people bring in on airplanes. They are concerned about bans on the importation of knives. I think they are concerned that if a precedent is set in this government agency it will become policy in other areas of the government. If the definition of a switchblade is changed to this proposed definition then essentially all pocketknives except slipjoints would be outlawed. Emerson knives with the wave feature would be illegal, Spyderco knives with a thumb opening would be illegal as would knives with thumbstuds, such as Benchmades. Practically all of my knives would be illegal. I think this is a case of the old Arabian proverb: "If the camel once gets his nose in the tent, his body is sure to follow."
Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
I don't think they are concerned about what people bring in on airplanes. They are concerned about bans on the importation of knives. I think they are concerned that if a precedent is set in this government agency it will become policy in other areas of the government. If the definition of a switchblade is changed to this proposed definition then essentially all pocketknives except slipjoints would be outlawed. Emerson knives with the wave feature would be illegal, Spyderco knives with a thumb opening would be illegal as would knives with thumbstuds, such as Benchmades. Practically all of my knives would be illegal. I think this is a case of the old Arabian proverb: "If the camel once gets his nose in the tent, his body is sure to follow."
But why would they ban the importation of Knives???

I mean...what would you cut your steak with????

How would your Electronics Industry function???

You cant ban something that has practical use...not on an import/export level...you can limit who they end up being given to...but your only going to lose money if you dont import what you need!

What next? Ban imports of Spoons

I collect Knives btw...not allowed to carry...but I am allowed to amass them in my home
Old 07-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
Lighters should be banned also IMO
well now there is a smoking ban on all public transport...then I guess your right...not to mention...verrrrra unwise to bring something that might react poorly under a pressure change...
Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
But why would they ban the importation of Knives???

I mean...what would you cut your steak with????

How would your Electronics Industry function???

You cant ban something that has practical use...not on an import/export level...you can limit who they end up being given to...but your only going to lose money if you dont import what you need!

What next? Ban imports of Spoons

I collect Knives btw...not allowed to carry...but I am allowed to amass them in my home
They are trying to reclassify all knives that can be opened with one hand as a switchblade or something akin to a switchblade. Switchblades are illegal in most of the U.S. They are worried that it will be a "backdoor" way to make almost all pocketknives illegal. The only pocketknives that wouldn't be classified as switchblades would be a slipjoint or a lockblade, where you need two hands to open the blade with the fingernail of your thumb.