Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 01-24-2009, 06:16 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
I think he might mean that typically when one throws a left hook (in a combination) it is following a straight right and if you were to freeze in that position (straight right thrown) your back heel would be raised and your knee bent. Then when you fire your left hook you're throwing it by torquing your body to the right while sitting back on your right heel and snap pivot your lead foot (raising that heel and turning). Now that you're totally confuse, eh?
No, that makes sense. I think I'm doing that, but I don't pay much attention to my feet during the Bas Rutten workout. I'm too busy trying to breathe!!!

Quote:
As far as the circling it might be better in your warmu to include some ring circles (face the center of the ring and circle around the parimeter of the ring. have one of your training partners call out "switch " at which point you quickly change direction and go back the other way. the thing to focus on is keeping the distance between your feet as you move around (don't let your feet come completely together).
I like that idea. I'll do that next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
Like, when you want to throw a hook, turn your heel out the opposite way of the hook your throwing, so on a left hook you turn your toes inwards and your heel outwards, rotate your hips aswell so its like a quick whip around. You will feel the difference, I use to have trouble with circling alot everytime I throw a jab, its more of a boxing move, my coach quickly corrected me by leg kicking me and putting me down, I haven't did that mistake since.

Did that make any sense because I really cant explain things.
OK, I gotcha. Thanks, man!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:17 AM
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
We did a clinch class last night. After a grueling warmup, we just played a game. Everybody partners up with someone about their size. One guy holds a medicine ball (25 lbs) and tries to press it against a wall while smashing it with knees. The other guy tries to take the ball away. There are very few rules, but no striking the other guy. You can strike the ball to try and knock it loose. We did 5 minute rounds and the guys who lost it the most had to do 50 pushups during the 1 minute rest. Then switch so the other guy has the ball. Did this game back and forth and was completely exhausted at the end.

Thanks to me, one rule was added. You can't do a belly to back suplex to get the ball away. My bad.
That sounds brutal, man. How many times were you forced to do the 50 push-ups?

O, & suplexes should totally be allowed!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Liam

Just thought I'd input what we do to warm up before starting.

We do 3 three minute rounds shadowboxing but in between each round, we do 10 pushups 10 kicks, then 9 pushups then 9 kicks, all the way down to 1. Then another round of shadowboxing begins and its rince and repeat 3 times. Btw ben I know what you mean about the breathing, I just let out a sound, like you hear on the tennis when they hit the ball haha.. Helps alot.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:15 AM
Allons-y

Quote:

We do 3 three minute rounds shadowboxing but in between each round, we do 10 pushups 10 kicks, then 9 pushups then 9 kicks, all the way down to 1. Then another round of shadowboxing begins and its rince and repeat 3 times.
Wait, is that the warm-up?

Quote:
Btw ben I know what you mean about the breathing, I just let out a sound, like you hear on the tennis when they hit the ball haha.. Helps alot.
I don't make any purposeful noises or sounds, I just try to make sure to exhale with each strike & then get back to as regular a breathing pattern as possible between combos. Would you suggest changing that at all?
Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 AM
sender

Extreme!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:

We do 3 three minute rounds shadowboxing but in between each round, we do 10 pushups 10 kicks, then 9 pushups then 9 kicks, all the way down to 1. Then another round of shadowboxing begins and its rince and repeat 3 times. Btw ben I know what you mean about the breathing, I just let out a sound, like you hear on the tennis when they hit the ball haha.. Helps alot.
that looks similar to what we do in boxing conditioning without the kicks.
Love it!!
Something about making it through a brutal workout that si such a cleansing feeling.

[
Old 01-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Wait, is that the warm-up?

I don't make any purposeful noises or sounds, I just try to make sure to exhale with each strike & then get back to as regular a breathing pattern as possible between combos. Would you suggest changing that at all?
Only do it if your breathing isn't to your satisfactory buddy. I cant wait for tonight! no classes on so me and my buddy (also MMA practitioner) are just going down to the local gym to sparr a little haha. We get some really strange looks when there.
The warm up is really good, but it is nothing compared to what we do on fighters night (not actual fight night, just when the competitors show up to train and improve).
Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Only do it if your breathing isn't to your satisfactory buddy. I cant wait for tonight! no classes on so me and my buddy (also MMA practitioner) are just going down to the local gym to sparr a little haha. We get some really strange looks when there.
The warm up is really good, but it is nothing compared to what we do on fighters night (not actual fight night, just when the competitors show up to train and improve).
Wow, that's cool man. My buddy who was holding the bag for me also did some of the workout. I checked with him & he's cool with me posting these. Lemme know what y'all think so I can pass the tips along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS9-a...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6CAz...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i88vn...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJeV6...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTKRz...e=channel_page
Old 01-26-2009, 05:02 PM

Ben, you're buddy has got some good power! I would tell him that for these types of technique driven routines, to focus more on speed and fluidity and backoff a bit on the power (unless the routine specifically states to throw 100%, which it may). The main thing is that if you're accurate and your form is right the power with be there with less effort.

[
Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Allons-y

Quote:
Ben, you're buddy has got some good power! I would tell him that for these types of technique driven routines, to focus more on speed and fluidity and backoff a bit on the power (unless the routine specifically states to throw 100%, which it may). The main thing is that if you're accurate and your form is right the power with be there with less effort.
Yeah, Alex is about 5'8" & weighs 180. He's been working out since high school & is a physical therapy/exercise science major.

The Bas does call for 100% power in every combo, but I think I'll tell Alex to back if off a bit & work more technique. Now, if you wanna see no technique but an @$$ load of power, here's Khurram:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NZpa...eature=channel