Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2009, 10:58 PM
mikthehick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Muay Thai Thread

Post your Muay Thai and Stand Up MMA experiences here!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-22-2009, 02:01 AM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Waiting for June 6th
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,334
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82hnv...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoAgm...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_M29...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRZ5o...e=channel_page
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,984
Default

Nice bagwork Ben! Great listening and also putting everything into each combo.
I wonder if you're sure to work moving both to the left and to the right around the bag. I know that I really have to work circling ot the right
Overall great work, buddy!
__________________
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
-Mark Twain

[
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Waiting for June 6th
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Nice bagwork Ben! Great listening and also putting everything into each combo.
I wonder if you're sure to work moving both to the left and to the right around the bag. I know that I really have to work circling ot the right
Overall great work, buddy!
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm just making sure that I circle, right now. I have a tendency to want to plant my feet & just throw. When I realized I was doing this, I just said "OK, move after every combo" and I guess it's just natural for me to circle to the left.

These are videos from about 9 months ago. I haven't been back in there in awhile, I need to get to it!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Sugar Shane's Avatar
Sugar Shane Sugar Shane is offline
Tattoo Artist
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Who knows anymore??
Posts: 147
Default

Definitely some nice bag work. I guess I havent heard of the Bas Rutten workout like that. Where do you get ahold of something like that?? Remember to keep moving and always try to move away from your opponents power hand.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Liam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hey ben. Just constructive criticism here.. When you throw your jab, you seem to do a big circle to the left, your really open to right hooks and right leg kicks there, you can become too predictable and your opponent can counter them and the leg kicks will send you down. When you throw your hooks pivot your foot then spin round, its hard to tell if you are doing this because I cant really see your feet. Try turn your hips more too, but you do look good.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2009, 04:05 AM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Waiting for June 6th
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Shane
Definitely some nice bag work. I guess I havent heard of the Bas Rutten workout like that. Where do you get ahold of something like that?? Remember to keep moving and always try to move away from your opponents power hand.
I'll shoot you a PM with the info about where to find it.

Yeah, I guess circling to the left isn't usually the best idea, huh? Just adding power to my opponent's punches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
Hey ben. Just constructive criticism here.. When you throw your jab, you seem to do a big circle to the left, your really open to right hooks and right leg kicks there, you can become too predictable and your opponent can counter them and the leg kicks will send you down. When you throw your hooks pivot your foot then spin round, its hard to tell if you are doing this because I cant really see your feet. Try turn your hips more too, but you do look good.
Yeah, everyone seems to be keying in on my circling! Guess I know what to work on next time I get in there!

What do you mean by "When you throw your hooks pivot your foot then spin round"? I understand the pivot, but I'm not sure I get the spin around bit. I'm assuming you aren't suggesting that I pirouette!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Llamafighter's Avatar
Llamafighter Llamafighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Astoria, New York
Posts: 4,984
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I'll shoot you a PM with the info about where to find it.

Yeah, I guess circling to the left isn't usually the best idea, huh? Just adding power to my opponent's punches!


Yeah, everyone seems to be keying in on my circling! Guess I know what to work on next time I get in there!

What do you mean by "When you throw your hooks pivot your foot then spin round"? I understand the pivot, but I'm not sure I get the spin around bit. I'm assuming you aren't suggesting that I pirouette!
I think he might mean that typically when one throws a left hook (in a combination) it is following a straight right and if you were to freeze in that position (straight right thrown) your back heel would be raised and your knee bent. Then when you fire your left hook you're throwing it by torquing your body to the right while sitting back on your right heel and snap pivot your lead foot (raising that heel and turning). Now that you're totally confuse, eh?

As far as the circling it might be better in your warmu to include some ring circles (face the center of the ring and circle around the parimeter of the ring. have one of your training partners call out "switch " at which point you quickly change direction and go back the other way. the thing to focus on is keeping the distance between your feet as you move around (don't let