Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 01-21-2009, 10:58 PM
mikthehick

Default Muay Thai Thread

Post your Muay Thai and Stand Up MMA experiences here!!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 PM

Nice bagwork Ben! Great listening and also putting everything into each combo.
I wonder if you're sure to work moving both to the left and to the right around the bag. I know that I really have to work circling ot the right
Overall great work, buddy!

[
Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Nice bagwork Ben! Great listening and also putting everything into each combo.
I wonder if you're sure to work moving both to the left and to the right around the bag. I know that I really have to work circling ot the right
Overall great work, buddy!
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm just making sure that I circle, right now. I have a tendency to want to plant my feet & just throw. When I realized I was doing this, I just said "OK, move after every combo" and I guess it's just natural for me to circle to the left.

These are videos from about 9 months ago. I haven't been back in there in awhile, I need to get to it!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Tattoo Artist

Definitely some nice bag work. I guess I havent heard of the Bas Rutten workout like that. Where do you get ahold of something like that?? Remember to keep moving and always try to move away from your opponents power hand.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Liam

Hey ben. Just constructive criticism here.. When you throw your jab, you seem to do a big circle to the left, your really open to right hooks and right leg kicks there, you can become too predictable and your opponent can counter them and the leg kicks will send you down. When you throw your hooks pivot your foot then spin round, its hard to tell if you are doing this because I cant really see your feet. Try turn your hips more too, but you do look good.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Shane
Definitely some nice bag work. I guess I havent heard of the Bas Rutten workout like that. Where do you get ahold of something like that?? Remember to keep moving and always try to move away from your opponents power hand.
I'll shoot you a PM with the info about where to find it.

Yeah, I guess circling to the left isn't usually the best idea, huh? Just adding power to my opponent's punches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
Hey ben. Just constructive criticism here.. When you throw your jab, you seem to do a big circle to the left, your really open to right hooks and right leg kicks there, you can become too predictable and your opponent can counter them and the leg kicks will send you down. When you throw your hooks pivot your foot then spin round, its hard to tell if you are doing this because I cant really see your feet. Try turn your hips more too, but you do look good.
Yeah, everyone seems to be keying in on my circling! Guess I know what to work on next time I get in there!

What do you mean by "When you throw your hooks pivot your foot then spin round"? I understand the pivot, but I'm not sure I get the spin around bit. I'm assuming you aren't suggesting that I pirouette!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan

Yeah, I guess circling to the left isn't usually the best idea, huh? Just adding power to my opponent's punches!

Yeah, everyone seems to be keying in on my circling! Guess I know what to work on next time I get in there!

What do you mean by "When you throw your hooks pivot your foot then spin round"? I understand the pivot, but I'm not sure I get the spin around bit. I'm assuming you aren't suggesting that I pirouette!
I think he might mean that typically when one throws a left hook (in a combination) it is following a straight right and if you were to freeze in that position (straight right thrown) your back heel would be raised and your knee bent. Then when you fire your left hook you're throwing it by torquing your body to the right while sitting back on your right heel and snap pivot your lead foot (raising that heel and turning). Now that you're totally confuse, eh?

As far as the circling it might be better in your warmu to include some ring circles (face the center of the ring and circle around the parimeter of the ring. have one of your training partners call out "switch " at which point you quickly change direction and go back the other way. the thing to focus on is keeping the distance between your feet as you move around (don't let your feet come completely together).
You obviously know what your doing, but I'm jsut throwing out some things that I'm constantly working on as well.
I think you base stance that you reset to is really strong and can hear some good power in those shots, buddy.

[
Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 PM
County Mike

We did a clinch class last night. After a grueling warmup, we just played a game. Everybody partners up with someone about their size. One guy holds a medicine ball (25 lbs) and tries to press it against a wall while smashing it with knees. The other guy tries to take the ball away. There are very few rules, but no striking the other guy. You can strike the ball to try and knock it loose. We did 5 minute rounds and the guys who lost it the most had to do 50 pushups during the 1 minute rest. Then switch so the other guy has the ball. Did this game back and forth and was completely exhausted at the end.

Thanks to me, one rule was added. You can't do a belly to back suplex to get the ball away. My bad.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan

Like, when you want to throw a hook, turn your heel out the opposite way of the hook your throwing, so on a left hook you turn your toes inwards and your heel outwards, rotate your hips aswell so its like a quick whip around. You will feel the difference, I use to have trouble with circling alot everytime I throw a jab, its more of a boxing move, my coach quickly corrected me by leg kicking me and putting me down, I haven't did that mistake since.

Did that make any sense because I really cant explain things.