Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
1)How much is a gallon of gas (or liter of petrol)?

Is it against the law to carry a pocket knife (for instance, a Swiss Army knife)?

Some of the fighters on TUF required subtitles to be understood by the American audience. Could you understand them?

Why do some Brits use "me" instead of "my"? For instance, "Get your hands off me gold!".
1) I dont know, because I dont drive...I shall find out for you sometime over this weekend...when I go to my parents house I pass through a petrol station and the numbers are all displayed.

Lets just say...much higher then yours

2) that depends on your definition of a pocket knife. A Knife thats small, or part of a keyring sort of thing is fine...but a flick out blade, or a stanley knife...is likely to get you into trouble if you are caught with it. You would probably be arrested, and the knife would be conviscated...your unlikely to end up in prison though...unless you use the knife.

Now...just being in possession of a firearm...not even using it, could cost you up to 15 years in gaol

3) I could understand them yes. The only accent I have a slight problem with, ironically, is a heavy scotish accent. I have no trouble with any dielect in Britian outside of the Scotish.Some sound better then others, you have had a lot of fighters from the Lancashire Area...they are either Brummies, or Scousers...their accents are some of the hardest to understand for forigners...some of the London Accents, like Cockney for example are some of the easiest for people to understand with Yorkshire and Geordie, Welsh and Irish being in between. I speak "the Queens" what is known as "BBC English"

Most English people think I'm Posh sounding

4) because they actually say that, its slang mixed with dielect...its not gramatically correct...but its certainly spoken like that. I often use the "royal we" when what I mean is "I"
Old 07-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Do all of you wish you were Americans or just most of you???
Well...its funny because my Friend at work was talking about Americans...he remembers a time when he was touring a group in Saint Peters Minster, York...and one American asked "Is this Building Pre-War"

"This Building is Pre-America"

...and I've had Americans come up to me in Saint Paul's Cathedral and ask "does the Dome Rotate"

Most English people will tell you that Americans either annoy them, or more probably, ammuse them.

When you say something like that...and then say "but they were Americans" to a Brit...that immediately explains all.

Personally, I love Americans...but they are not as loved by most as they were, partly because a lot of the public under the Tony Blair, felt like the British Government were only really a State Government and as much a part of the United States as any other State...this upset a great many people who wished our Government had not been so egar to almost live a submissive role to the US Government...it wasnt that we wanted to be dominant...we just wanted to remind our Government, they were British, and not a Department of The United States of America

Course...that has nothing to do with the Citizens of America...but I feel a lot of Brits forget that
Old 07-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
Have you ever heard of sweet potatoes?
Have you?

Do you know your Yam from your Sweet Potatoe

incidently...the sweet potatoes I got, went mouldy before I could use them last week...or was it the week before
Old 07-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdawg21
Do you eat crepes?

What's the deal with the marriage-like affection towards the queen? Meaning, it seems that the people in the U.K. are literally in love with the royalty there, is it something that's taught in schools?

Do Brits tan or just stay white all year long?
We call them pancakes....it makes the french word more...digestable. We have a long and troubled History with France.

Short version: we hate each other

2) most people in England DO NOT like the Royals...most people believe the Monarchy should be...ended

I am in a minority.

The most effection the Queen Gets is either from Americans, or from the Commonwealth.

PLUS the last few Brits who are Royalists...arent...true Royalists...they actually are not Loyal to the Crown...but Loyal to a very particular monach wearing the crown. Watch what happens when she dies...because her Heir is not popular...and he will interfere far more then she. Hopefully...if she is anything like her Mother...she stands to reign another 20 years...perhaps her son will be dead by then

3) In England Brits dont tan period...we havent the weather

when we go abroad...we tend to just burn

I dont change colour at all...well...I suppose I go greyish when I get dirty, and I go pale when I'm ill...but really...

Those Brits with tans...well they either have it out of a tanning salon...or worse...out of a bottle
Old 07-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

A Video of Parliament worth Watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xUy2inkGHQ (Opposition goes mad over ellection U-Tern)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsAa9VmwOaI (this sort of havoc is a weekly occurance!)

The Most Famous Speech in Parliament by Maggie on the Subject of Europe!
Laughingly, she accuses Labour of being Financially incompetant and so willing to give the currency over to European control....within 20 years after a decade of Labour rule, a Finanical recession hits and guess which Government is the most unprepared. Also...the Treaty she mentions...well...remember I spoke about "Lisbon" almost twenty years later, there is no hiding a want to Federalize Europe...and the single Currency has been taken up by many of its states already.

Maggie...we miss you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2f8nYMCO2I

A Video of HM The Queen when she went on Tour to America

oooops....I cant find that video now :'(

Last edited by Tyburn; 07-04-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
We call them pancakes....it makes the french word more...digestable. We have a long and troubled History with France.

Short version: we hate each other

2) most people in England DO NOT like the Royals...most people believe the Monarchy should be...ended

I am in a minority.

The most effection the Queen Gets is either from Americans, or from the Commonwealth.

PLUS the last few Brits who are Royalists...arent...true Royalists...they actually are not Loyal to the Crown...but Loyal to a very particular monach wearing the crown. Watch what happens when she dies...because her Heir is not popular...and he will interfere far more then she. Hopefully...if she is anything like her Mother...she stands to reign another 20 years...perhaps her son will be dead by then

3) In England Brits dont tan period...we havent the weather

when we go abroad...we tend to just burn

I dont change colour at all...well...I suppose I go greyish when I get dirty, and I go pale when I'm ill...but really...

Those Brits with tans...well they either have it out of a tanning salon...or worse...out of a bottle
Haha, thanks Dave.

1. Was just curious, as they are pretty good!

2. I just got that impression from you, I've only known a few Brits in my life, but never really asked them about the Monarchy so I wasn't sure if it was just you or if that's how everybody felt.

3. I was in the Philippines in 2007 and was at a mall in Manila. I saw another white person (female) and walked up to her and asked here where in the U.S. she was from, she said "I'm not from America". I said, "Oh, I see, you're from Britain, I can tell!" She thought that was funny. She was bright red in some areas and bright white in others. Any other Brit I've met is pretty light so I was wondering if they just lack the pigment to tan or not. Thanks for that clarification Dave.

This is kinda funny. Anybody watch Chappelle's Show and remember the segments, "Ask a Black Dude" and "Ask a Gay Dude"? This is "Ask a Brit Dude"
Old 07-04-2009, 06:40 PM
atomdanger

Thanks Dave
Old 07-04-2009, 06:44 PM

I have a couple follow-up questions for clarification:

After the Prime Minister meets with the Queen and calls for an election, when does it occur? 3 months from that date? 6 months from that date? If the opposition party wanted to stall could they make a political deal with the Queen to deny the call of the ruling party?

Please explain the vote of no confidence.

Can you explain the system of money? Do you still have shillings, guineas, farthings, etc.? When I read older British literature I get confused. I don't know if they are talking about a lot of money or a little money.

Please explain the term "posh". In this Youtube clip, Archie Bunker from "All In The Family" rips on England. Does "posh" refer to the "handkerchief and skinny umbrella" style he is mocking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3yDb3J-J0

Do you pronounce "gaol" like our word "jail"?

Currently, President Obama is proposing major changes to our healthcare system. Michael Moore had a documentary called "Sicko" in which he lauded the British health care system (to be honest, I didn't watch the documentary because I don't want to give the guy one cent of my money; however, I saw clips and read reviews so I think my description is accurate). It looks like we could be headed towards something like you have. What is your experience with your National Health Service. I just saw an article yesterday where a hospital in the UK was so dirty that a patient climbed out of bed and cleaned the room herself! Are there long waits for surgeries, etc?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-herself.html

How much of your income (as a percentage) do you pay in taxes?

You are a Royalist. It seems over the past 1,000 years there has been a steady diminution of royal power. In your opinion, who was the quintessential monarch? At what point in your history was there a correct balance between the King (or Queen) and parliament? Or are you advocating a pure monarchy with no input from the common people?

The Church of England is the established church. Do the taxes of atheists, Catholics, Muslims, Jews, etc. go to pay for church salaries, property, etc.?

Thank you for educating me (us) about your country!
Old 07-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Stump Rules!

I agree.16 is way to young for....for anything

So what about the teeth? Why do so many English people have bad teeth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
Well, the major problem is the age of consent is 16 with a mea if Adults are in attendance, and 18 on your own. Many in the big cities binge drink, it has become a MAJOR problem in Britian.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 07-05-2009, 03:13 AM

Some of my most fondest memories are from when I lived in England. It was definitely one of my favorite places to live.

A few funny things that I remember....
Right before we left in 1987, some places were just getting cable tv. Before that, we only had four channels, so we never watched TV. When played outside ALL the time. There were always kids around outside, rarely did anyone stay inside; regardless of the weather.

When we moved to the states, it was harder to make friends because cable TV was around and a lot of kids stayed inside watching tv lol.

We didn't pay sales tax on items we bought. I don't remember if it was just the stuff that we, as kids, were buying; candy, toys, etc., but the price you saw, was what you paid. When we moved here, a ten cent piece of candy suddenly costed more lol.

London was amazing! McDonalds was a weekly trip to London for us lol. I know it sounds weird.

The school I was in when I left England rivals most college campus settings. I was in 6th grade at the time. If anyone wants to look it up, I went to LAMS. It was for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade.

I could go on and on about all things England that I remember.