Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-03-2009, 11:39 PM

Default Tyburn answers Americans' questions about the UK

I am confused about your timing of elections. We have presidential elections every 4 years in November. Mid-term elections occur 2 years after the presidential election in November (Senators have 6 year terms and Representatives have 2 year terms). How does it work there? I have heard of "calling for" elections. Please explain how this works.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:17 AM
atomdanger

My Collection of stupid questions.

What powers to Royal people have?

What is the deal with being knighted? Or whatever...
I just wanna be called Sir.

Do you guys really never brush your teeth?

Whats the deal with tea?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:58 AM
Stump Rules!

Why are so many people incredibly drunk all the time? I was there once...and incredibly drunk at one point so yeah...what's up with that Dave?

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 07-04-2009, 04:30 AM

How much is a gallon of gas (or liter of petrol)?

Is it against the law to carry a pocket knife (for instance, a Swiss Army knife)?

Some of the fighters on TUF required subtitles to be understood by the American audience. Could you understand them?

Why do some Brits use "me" instead of "my"? For instance, "Get your hands off me gold!".
Old 07-04-2009, 04:37 AM
Chuck

Do all of you wish you were Americans or just most of you???
Old 07-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Have you ever heard of sweet potatoes?
Old 07-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm kind of a big deal

Do you eat crepes?

What's the deal with the marriage-like affection towards the queen? Meaning, it seems that the people in the U.K. are literally in love with the royalty there, is it something that's taught in schools?

Do Brits tan or just stay white all year long?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man
I am confused about your timing of elections. We have presidential elections every 4 years in November. Mid-term elections occur 2 years after the presidential election in November (Senators have 6 year terms and Representatives have 2 year terms). How does it work there? I have heard of "calling for" elections. Please explain how this works.
Firstly, the only person with the power to call a General Ellection is The Queen. So the Prime Minister must go to Buckingham Palace saying he wants a General Ellection, and She signs it off officially.

The Ellection must happen within Four Years. Its the Prime Minister who decides Exactly when to make the call. But he may do it anytime to RE-Start an Office. So for example, when Tony Blair Stept down from Office, the Person to take his place was the Party Leader UNDER him. Now at that point, if Labour had been Confident enough they COULD have called for an ellection, and been ellected for a Forth Term of Office for Labour.

There have been many parties in English History that have come and gone, depending on their support. Local Government...which is a Council that jurisdicts a small area of land has a number of seats available, the local candidates put forward nominations. Depending on the amount of seats and votes received, that will determin what Party Rules the Council. In that last Local Ellection, Labour Party lost control of Several key Councils.

Each Council is led by a Mayor, some appointed, most Ellected, and represented in Parliament by a Minister. To remain in parliament this Minister must be eternally on the their local council as voted for by their own local community only. For example...supposing the Prime Minister lost his seat on his LOCAL Council...as only voted for by the local inhabitants...He would be out of Parliament overnight

So its important to tell the Government WHERE you live and IF you move...or else they send the ticket that entitles you to vote, to the WRONG place. For example...I cant vote for the Harrogate Council...because my bloody ticket keeps being sent to London...Ironically, if I got my hands on that ticket, I could vote for the Lambeth Borough Council still

We vote DIRECTLY for the Candidate going into Office. We DO NOT have people who vote for us in any way. It is...en mass, a huge opinion poll, where the majority wins.

One of the parties that hasnt yet got any Candidates ellected for the Minister of Parliament in any local council, is The British National Party...therefore although they have council seats...they have NO seat in Parliament. Now the European Parliament, divides England into only Four odd constituencies (thats the name given for an area run by a council) Two of which got British Nationalists as their Minister for European Parliament. This means the Fascists now have more control then the infamous "National Front" party which was last seen the year I was born, 1982. They may not be in The House of Commons...but they are in Europe...

But the British Parliament is made of TWO houses. The House of Commons (being the House of the General Public) and The House of Lords. Many Lords are appointed by The Commons, or by Royalty, or they still have it in their Families from an age when their families were Barons and owned the land.

The Commons AND Lords must pass papers to make Bills into Law.

The European Parliament at present is more just a meeting of The European Union...but they are trying to force through a Treaty called "Lisbon" if this happens, Europe is in grave danger of becoming a Federation...in a similar way to the United States...it would demand, for example, the position of a President...and Tony Blair wants it BAD

Now the local ellections, they dont all happen at once, for everything. I think the Ellections for Ministers of Parliament happen at the same time, but as for council seats...I think those are spread out through the four year term of office...I could be wrong on that.

The General Ellection itself is all over Extremely quickly, the whole Country votes at once

A Particular Prime Minister may run for as many consecutive Office Terms as the public allow...generally, they dont make it past three...they do something enough to upset the people. Maggie Thatcher for the Conservatives made Three...she then faced a vote of no confidence by her own party...Tony Blair was also forced to resign half way through his Third Term

BOTH leaders ONLY got re-ellected the third time under the pretext of going to War. Tony Blair did it over Iraq...Maggie Thatcher did it over the Faulklands...neither were available for re-ellection, or finished that term in office.

Anyone over the age of 18 may vote in General, or Local...it wasnt always like that, it used to be 21 and above, and before that, MEN ONLY LMAO

The winning Party Takes Office, the other parties are know as "the opposition". The Leader of the Winning party becomes Prime Minister...the leader of the party is decided in a "Leadership contest" within the party...only Card carrying citizens and ministers within the party can vote on such a matter. The Prime minister will then make a cabinet to fill official posts...SO will the opposition for example...the Home Secretary is mirrored on the Opposition by "the Shadow home Secretary"

on the Floor they argue, debate...and then vote to make outcomes on Bills, which then go for secondary voting in the Lords.

Last edited by Tyburn; 07-04-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
My Collection of stupid questions.

What powers to Royal people have?

What is the deal with being knighted? Or whatever...
I just wanna be called Sir.

3) Do you guys really never brush your teeth?

Whats the deal with tea?
1)The Royals have plenty of Power...but they refuse to use them.

The Queen is Officially Head of State in many Commonwealth Countries...she has the power therefore to over-rule and infact disband Governments in Canada, Australia, and England.

She also has the power to call a General Ellection...but the date is decided by the rulling Prime Minister.

Different Royals represent Different things. The Princes (which are Sons of The Queen, or Husbands to her Daughters) are all given The Title Duke...and those Dukedoms outline the Ancient Kingdoms of Pre Unified England...for Example...The Duke of Wessex....Wessex was a Kingdom in the South of England before a Single Monarchy developed out of about four or five.

2) In England there are what is known as Orders of Chivilry. An Order is usually related to a place, or to specific Saints...for Example, The Order of The Cross of Saint John of Jerusalem...is the Official Order associated with the Birth of Saint John Ambulance...The Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, has a dedication to Christian Saints.

Not All Orders require one to be Knighted in order to enter them. The most General one is infact The Most Excellent Order of The British Empire. Citizens can be nominated for such a Knighthood by other people, or insitutions, or appointments by royalty or on the suggestion of Parliament...they usually involve a thank you from the crown for having done some form of service...Honoury Titles are given to those who are not British Citizens...If you, personally you, were to do some magnificent service for Britian, then Yes someone like me could nominate you, and you might get in.

Posting these Questions doesnt count as that act of service before you ask Being a President who is know for giving that little bit extra to his allied forces...well that might be enough...

In an order, there are different Ranks, Grand Master, Dame Grand Cross, Grand Cross are the highest. Dont know how you move up the ranks of such an order...but most of those positions...well they are held by members of royalty..my guess is you dont progress through the ranks, your inducted in as something based on your status

3) of course we brush our teeth

4) When we had our Empire it was the Empire on which the sun never set physically...we owned something in every major time zone...thus we had exclusive access to precious comodities like Tea. We made it an institution, it became a tradition to have a Scone and a Cuppa (known as High Tea, or Cream Tea) in the mid afternoon, around 3pm

The Virgers of Saint Paul's Cathedral...still observe the tradition except for a Sunday
Old 07-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks
Why are so many people incredibly drunk all the time? I was there once...and incredibly drunk at one point so yeah...what's up with that Dave?
Well, the major problem is the age of consent is 16 with a mea if Adults are in attendance, and 18 on your own. Many in the big cities binge drink, it has become a MAJOR problem in Britian.